Smoke detector - which electric breaker?

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:40 pm
I have to move an smoke detector a few inches since I'm installing a suspended ceiling... Piece of cake, right? Problem is that I can't find which breaker it is connected to in the electric panel. I checked every breaker, one by one, even the furnace breaker; the smoke detector says on. Any idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,316 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:54 pm
@blueshark,
Lots of them have a battery backup in them in the event that power goes out. Guessing you checked that and you mean it's still drawing from the line?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:57 pm
@blueshark,
Also, if this is in a commercial area a lot of times those detectors will be tied into the building alarm box that usually has it's own breaker inside.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:17 pm
@blueshark,
Can you see where the feed into the SD is? Does it seem to be coming from a nearby light or plug outlet?

You could carefully twist undone the pigtails within the SD box [you said you wanted to move it anyway] and locate the hot feed with a pigtail light fixture or an electric tester. With one person on that end and the other at the panel, I guess it's within shouting distance, you can go thru all the appropriate panel breakers.
0 Replies

Chinspinner

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:24 pm
@blueshark,
If you are in the UK you need an electrician to do it, if you are letting the property and do not undertake this work in accordance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 you can be held liable under common law (i.e. jail time). Its part of the building regs, get professional advice from the RICS. UK only. NB posted this under the wrong heading earlier.
0 Replies