About the Major League Baseball

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 05:57 am
"The Indians had demolished the Yankees the night before in game one, scoring twelve runs on fourteen hits."

Could anyone tell me:
What does "twelve runs on fourteen hits" mean? What is "runs on" and what is "hits"? What do the numbers suggest?

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 06:00 am
@Justin Xu,
Quote:
Baseball is a bat-and-ball sport played between two teams of nine players each. The goal is to score runs by hitting a thrown ball with a bat and touching a series of four bases arranged at the corners of a ninety-foot square, or diamond. Players on one team (the batting team) take turns hitting against the pitcher of the other team (the fielding team), which tries to stop them from scoring runs by getting hitters out in any of several ways. A player on the batting team can stop at any of the bases and later advance via a teammate's hit or other means. The teams switch between batting and fielding whenever the fielding team records three outs. One turn at bat for each team constitutes an inning and nine innings make up a professional game. The team with the most runs at the end of the game wins.
read more about baseball on wikipedia...
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 06:06 am
@Justin Xu,
First you don't use a definite article here, you would say "About Major League Baseball.

In the game of baseball, the teams altenate, one team going into the field and the other team batting. The batting team attempts to make hits (hitting the ball thrown by the pitcher) before the fielding team can put three players out (to put a player out means to touch him with the ball while he not standing on one of the three bases, or to catch the ball when he hits it, before it touches the ground).

If a player goes completely around the infield, stepping on first base, second base, third base and then back to "home plate," where the batter stands, and where he was when he hit the ball, then he scores one point for his team, and that is called a run. So, to score twelve runs on 14 hits means that the Cleveland Indians performed very well. They were able to convert their 14 hits into twelve points. There are a number of ways this could have been accomplished, but no matter how it was done, to score twelve runs, to get twelve points, from 14 hits indicated superior play of one kind or another. I haven't seen the box scores (the record of the game), so i can't tell you how they accomplished this, but take my word for it, they did very well.
jespah

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 06:46 am
@Setanta,
Agreed - they must have done very well.

Not to add to confusion but there are some ways for runners to advance without making a hit, but most of the time, the runner (that is the person who bats) needs to hit the ball in order to get anywhere.

There are a lot of baseball games and bits of baseball showing interesting plays on Youtube. Here are two from the past. My mother remembers the first one (she worked as a companion for a blind man who loved baseball, and she recalls hearing this on the radio). The play is interesting because the NY Giants had not won the pennant ever before, if I recall correctly (that means they won their league's championship), and were about to go onto the World Series:

This other one is a spectacular catch. If Willie Mays had not caught this ball, his team most likely would have lost the game. He had to run really far in order to get there on time and, you can see, when he throws the ball back, he's throwing so hard he ends up falling over:

I do hope you're able to see these, Justin.
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 08:10 am
I was a Giants fan when i was a kid, and Willie was my hero. It really pissed me off when they moved to San Francisco. Candlestick Park sucked, and i truly believe that playing there ruined Willie's chance to break Babe Ruth's home run record.

My grandfather was so disgusted. We lived in the Bronx, and as far as he was concerned, i was a traitor for not being a Yankees fan.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 02:18 pm
I'll digress, but only a little.

Old Icelandic poetry is based in the repetitive translation of a word into a metaphor. Thus "tempest of spades" always means battle and "raven's food" always means corpses.

Same thing applies in baseball, and Western sports journalism in general, in order to avoid repetition of names. You will read a lot of metaphors a minimally trained reader can translate into a team's performance. Thus verbs like "demolished" and several other war metaphors. The Cleveland Indians will always be the Tribe, the New York Yankees will be the Bronx Bombers and the Milwaukee Brewers will be the Brew Crew, just as The Great Helmsman is a synonym of Mao Zedong (and many Americans would not understand).
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 02:35 pm
@fbaezer,
It becomes and Byzantine, too. Your garden variety shut-out, in any sport, would read "The Toledo Mudhens blanked the Columbus Clippers today . . ." If you beat you opponent handily, you "breeze" past them. Excellent observation, Boss.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 02:43 pm
@jespah,
Good grief, Jespah, you've given me a new addiction - I'm going to start looking at youtube sports videos. Not that I haven't watched any before this, but now I can predict I'll be looking at a lot of them.

I loved Mays, of course, and the first video was taken the year after we moved from New York City, where I first started watching baseball on our new tv. Memories..

Good point by fbaezer.
0 Replies

Richard Nash

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 10:59 am
@Justin Xu,
Hey friends,

Thanks for sharing your valuable suggestion, if you want to give really a good surprise for basket ball, I disagree. Plenty of small-market teams win in baseball. The Cubs always have a big payroll, and haven't won squat in 103 years. More than any other sport, it's how wisely you spend, not how much you spend,

Thanks
Richard Nash
0 Replies