Can Metta World Peace Sue Media Companies for using His Old Name?

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 02:33 am
So I see that Metta was kicked off of that celeb ballroom dancing show, but that many media accounts are still using his old name of Ron Artest...I assume this pisses him off as it defeats the purpose of the stunt. Can the man formerly known as Ron Artest force us to call him Metta World Peace through the courts? If so doesn't this go to show how fucked up we are as a society, that one attention seeker can push all of the rest of us around to the extent that he controls our speech under the theory of personal rights?

Quote:
Queens-bred NBA star Ron Artest was granted a new name, Metta World Peace, per his petition, by a California court.

His Lakers jersey will now say World Peace on the back, his publicist said, but it’s not clear how ABC will deal with the quirky new moniker during his “Dancing With the Stars” debut Monday.

“I think there will be more about that when he goes on the show,” publicist Courtney Barnes said after a judge made the name change official.

World Peace, 31, was scheduled to appear before the judge in person early Friday, but the Los Angeles Lakers forward bowed out at the last minute due to his “brutal” dancing rehearsals, Barnes said.

“Changing my name was meant to inspire and bring youth together all around the world,” World Peace, 31, said in a statement.

http://www.hauteliving.com/2011/09/la-lakers-ron-artest-changes-his-name-to-metta-world-peace/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,592 • Replies: 1
No top replies

billwillclark

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 02:08 am
@hawkeye10,
That is probably the most idiotic thing ever. Use your own name for a jersey. It is only now that we can see stupid crap like this go by. Back in the 80s if Magic Johnson said he wanted to just put Magic on the back of his jersey. The media would probably be all up on his ass about how ridiculous that is.
0 Replies