Karl Jaspers and the Idea of God

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 10:56 am
I came across a 1950 radio lecture by Karl Jaspers. He asserted that we could arrive at a "comprehensive consciousness" of God but emphasized that this does not give us any calculable knowledge.

Quote:
Reflection on God clarifies our faith. But to believe is not to see. God remains in the distance and remains question. To live by God does not mean to base oneself on calculable knowledge but to live as though we staked our existence on the assumption that God is.

To believe in God means to live by something which is not in the world, except in the polyvalent language of phenomena, which we call the hieroglyphs or symbols of transcendence.

The God of faith is the distant God, the hidden God, the indemonstrable God.

Does anyone know more about this argument of Karl Jaspers or any critique of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,058 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by wandeljw
igm
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:29 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

I came across a 1950 radio lecture by Karl Jaspers. He asserted that we could arrive at a "comprehensive consciousness" of God but emphasized that this does not give us any calculable knowledge.

Quote:
Reflection on God clarifies our faith. But to believe is not to see. God remains in the distance and remains question. To live by God does not mean to base oneself on calculable knowledge but to live as though we staked our existence on the assumption that God is.

To believe in God means to live by something which is not in the world, except in the polyvalent language of phenomena, which we call the hieroglyphs or symbols of transcendence.

The God of faith is the distant God, the hidden God, the indemonstrable God.

Does anyone know more about this argument of Karl Jaspers or any critique of it?

The full text is here. It might be a good place to start?
http://www.archive.org/stream/waytowisdomintro00jasp/waytowisdomintro00jasp_djvu.txt
wandeljw

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 04:45 pm
@igm,
Thanks for the link. Very good place to start.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 02:59 pm
This is really interesting to me so thanks for posting it and bringing it to my attention. I've never read any of Jaspers but the quoted part immediately made me think of Kierkegaard's God which I guess is no surprise as Jaspers seems to have been heavily influenced by him. My eyes get strained if I read on a computer screen for too long but I think I'll pick up a paper copy of this as I'm really intrigued by how he'll frame and develop the point. I had some thoughts myself though...

I think the "assertion" itself is based on a kind of holistic self confidence, not of personality but of one's total being. I guess that is the existential in Jaspers or a reflection of my own biased reading! The obvious critique that jumps to my mind is the following:

If, as Jaspers suggests, we take belief in God as "to live by something which is not in the world", there is the potential for our acting outside the realms of discourse and debate. And that, socially speaking, is a bit scary. Because immediately self doubt and fear arise about one's ability to "be good", just, fair, kind, reasonable etc etc without "calculable knowledge" as its basis. And this is as a total way of life. The same doubt is magnified many times over for your neighbours ability to do it. It's important we're always acting in accord with something so we can negotiate on some common ground.

On the other hand, it's beyond my conception of a man to live by such a faith alone. His being "in the world", engaged with language, necessarily means that this faith has to be reconciled with reason. So perhaps this conception of faith is only for those with sound reason to begin with, as a necessary counter balance. The next question is why not just drop the faith altogether but obviously these same individuals don't want to do that.

Hope that made some sense anyway. Now to read the book... Smile
wandeljw

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 03:56 pm
@Ashers,
Thanks, Ashers. Good analysis.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 10:17 pm
I find it interesting that two of the most important existentialists, Jaspers and Kierkegaard were religious (in their own unique ways) while two other famous existentialists, Sartre and Heidegger (and perhaps Nietzsche), were vigorous athiests. It shows how their fundamental insight regarding the individual's sense of existence transcends religion as we normally think of it.
Ashers

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 07:08 am
@JLNobody,
Yes, my feelings exactly JL.
0 Replies