Condensation on skirting

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 10:00 am
I live in a 1970's bungalow. The floors are solid and not insulated. The walls are insulated with rockwool.
In the winter months the skirting particularly in my bedroom condensates on the bottom 1'' in one corner. The condensation is absorbed by the carpet and underlay and by the end of the winter the floor underneath (covered in old lino type tiles) is puddled with water and the carpet and underlay is SO wet the moisture travels back up through the layers to the legs of any furniture sitting on it.
How can i stop this from happening?
Would an underlay with super insulating powers help?
Should i use insulating board that goes under laminate flooring and seat the skiting on to it so no cold air can reach the surface of the skirting?
I want to lay new carpet and decorate the room but am fearful of the result come winter. I ALWAYS have a window slightly open on its catch to aid ventilation!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,760 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:07 am
Are you on a crawl space?

It sounds like the cold air from the floor is hitting the warm air of the room and walls, so it forms condensation.

I'd consider getting spray insulation in the crawl space on the floors. They actually spray upside down in the crawl space, plus along the sides of the crawl space with the foam. Be sure there are cross venilation windows so the building "breathes"

Jacquelyn

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 02:46 pm
@PUNKEY,
Unfortunately the floors are solid concrete. I'm wondering if i lay the type of insulation boards you use under laminate flooring before laying traditional underlay and carpet might help.
I've also considered dry lining the walls floor to ceiling and then replacing the skirting in the hope it helps to insulate the cold serface a bit.
What do you think?
Am i wasting my time and money?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 02:53 pm
@Jacquelyn,
Yes, you would probably be wasting time and money. You need to find the source of the moisture and fix the problem. Just covering it up with insulation boards won't do it and you'll be revisiting the problem in another year or two and you'll be adding "soggy insulation boards" to the description.
0 Replies