Have you ever been robbed/stuff stolen?

Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:05 pm
My engagement ring/wedding ring and other personal ring along with my husband's wedding ring was stolen. At least we assume so.

We went camping and put them together in the car. After camping and coming home we searched high and low and could not find them. We called the campgrounds and the owners said they had cleaned our campsite and did not find anything.

So we had to assume some one stole them. We did have the car unlocked at times so it is a definate possibility. Really stinks at it was just our anniversary right before.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 2,019 • Replies: 16
No top replies

mags314772

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:11 pm
@Linkat,
Yep, that stinks. We were robbed one time right before Christmas. Came home, and the basement door had been kicked in. All they took were wrapped Christmas gifts, and all of my husband's socks. Sounds funny now, but at the time I felt very violated at the thought of strangers going through my house.
Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:26 pm
@mags314772,
Yes I can say the one thing was at least it wasn't in my house. The idea of some one going through your house is as bad as them taking Christmas presents.
engineer

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 04:39 pm
@Linkat,
To make a long (but interesting story) short, we had a babysitter go into our room and clean my wife's jewelry out. We did catch and prosecute her and got a few pieces back.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 04:47 pm
My car was stolen from outside my city apt. I wandered out and stood staring at the place I thought I'd parked it. I looked up and down a couple other nearby streets just in case I'd parked it elsewhere - nope. Called the cops. An officer took the report and didn't give me much hope of recovery. Luckily, the police in a neighboring town found it within 24 hours. Good thing to because it'd have been broken down into parts PDQ. Had to pay the tow and impound fee as well as the cost of a new steering column. Could have been a hell of a lot worse!
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 04:52 pm
I had my car stolen in NY shortly before moving to CA. It was upsetting but I was most angry about the camera and films that were in the car. We just had come back from driving up the coast to Old Lyme, Boston, Cape Cod, Newport, RI and we took so many nice pictures knowing that we probably won't come back for a long time. All gone! They probably just tossed the
film roles somewhere, yet they were so valuable to us.

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 05:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
Aw, that's sad!

When I lived in England I had an old wonky camera that was tricky to load with film -- the only way to know for certain if it worked was to hear a certain sound (a click?) which obviously didn't work for me. I'd gotten pretty good at figuring it out though.

I took one solo trip to Kew Gardens, and took a roll of the most amazing photos. I was really excited about them. Once I'd "used up" the roll (yes, you see what's coming), I opened up the back to take it out and found it had never loaded correctly. (The counter advanced each time you pressed the button, whether the film was loaded correctly or not.) Sigh. I have some of 'em seared in my mind's eye, but that's it.

I know I've had things actually stolen but I'm not coming up with anything. Main thing coming to mind is the fact that a friend of mine made sure our house was protected in our bad-and-getting-worse neighborhood in high school. My dad had a false sense of security and kept getting bikes stolen after I left (and the protection was lifted). (I didn't know about the protection until after the fact.)

Sorry about your rings, Linkat!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 05:33 pm
Two tough girls in a park told me to give them all my money. They were a lot bigger than me. I handed over my thirty-five cents and left. Shaken. Not a lot of money, but an ugly situation.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:57 am
@littlek,
Speaking of stolen cars - my parents car was stolen once. The odd thing was that there were 3 cars parked in their driveway - and theirs was in the middle - the driveway is narrow so it isn't like you can drive it out around the other car and there were no marks in the grass.

They stood there looking at the empty space between the two cars dumbfolded - as if someone beamed the car up. It was found after being completely gutted.
Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:59 am
@CalamityJane,
I guess that is the whole thing - the irreplaceable stuff. Our wedding and engagement rings are in a sense irreplaceable. The other two rings although valueable in a monetary sense donot matter - but who steals wedding rings?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 01:01 am
Back in 98' I had my car stolen with all of my construction tools in it. Saw, compressor, nail gun the whole 9 yards. I got the car back but the tools were gone. My insurance company replaced the tools. 1 year later that same car was broken into and our stereo and rear view were stolen. The rear view mirror always puzzled me.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:08 am
@Baldimo,
Silly, they wanted the mirror to see if anyone was following them.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:10 am
@Linkat,
Sometimes certain cars are most valuable as the parts demand for them is higher. It isn't always the luxury or sports car. Believe it or not, the Toyota Camry was/is tops on the list for decades.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:24 am
@Linkat,
Windows open ever on the trip? What I mean is that human criminals might possibly not have been involved, racoons, ravens, crows, magpies, and one or two others would be more than happy to take any sort of a ring they came across.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:42 am
@gungasnake,
We did have it open one night - but not all night - just while we were up and about. And I could see that - but all our rings? A creature more than likely would have taken one but 5 rings and they were not out in the open in the car, but in a comparment.

Funny thing is we had raccoon (at least what I suspect is raccoon) tracks on our car. The footprints started on the back of car - you could see the footsteps as it climbed up the back and onto the trunk, then the back windshield, over the roof, the front windshield and over the front hood.

Must have felt it was quicker to climb over the car rather than around it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:44 am
Now maybe we are paronoid or something, but some of the fellow campers next to us, asked if we wanted to go listen to some music (there was a DJ with music at the campground our last night). We went with them a bit (2 men and their boys) - while we were there, one went away for a while and came back. Our car was unlocked at the time - my husband suspects, he may have been the one to steal as he had opportunity while we were away from the site, car open and it was dark.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 09:37 am
@Linkat,
When I was 4, my virginity was stolen by two men.

BBB
0 Replies