What are the differences?

fansy

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 06:09 am
Quote:
Generally, alkaline forming foods include: most fruits, green vegetables, peas, beans, lentils, spices, herbs and seasonings, and seeds and nuts.
Quote:
Generally, acid forming foods include: meat, fish, poultry, eggs, grains, and legumes.

The bolded words in the above too quotes seem to be synonymous; if you google them for their images, you will know why I say so. I am puzzled.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 643 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 06:25 am
@fansy,
Seeds and nuts are not legumes, however, peas, beans and lentils are legumes. Some confusion may arise because legumes, which form pods, sometimes have the fruit in those pods referred to as seeds. Either the term fruit or seed may cause confusion. Nuts come in shells, and although the distinction between a shell and a pod may seem trifling, nuts definitely are not produced by leguminous plants. Seeds may or may not refer to the products of leguminous plants. The very small seeds of some grasses, however, are collectively known as millet, and are properly described as grain.

Basically i agree with you, although i would not include seeds and nuts under the rubric legumes.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 09:49 am
@fansy,
I'm not a scientist, but isn't it possible that some legumes can form alkaline and acid?
0 Replies