Palestinian Solidarity Campaign disrupts Israeli Concert. Yeah!!!

Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:31 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

That's another tactic, to portray all those who sympathise with the plight of the Palestinians as being unwitting fools blinded by propaganda. The reality is that Israel has the biggest PR machine going, constantly monitoring news reports for bias, and threatening to play the anti-semitism card at every opportunity.

Hamas is a reality, they need to be negotiated with, just like the IRA, jaw, jaw.

Funny, I heard Arab oil money pays for an expanding effort at anti-Jewish propaganda?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:36 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

...I can sympathize with the Palestinians and fault the wrong-headed (and unjust) insistence of the Israelis on an expansionist and perpetually Jewish state...

"Perpetually Jewish"? Are you under the belief that the world should be like the Navy, where all types can live on a ship together in peace? Israel should be perpetually Jewish as penance for the hatred in Europe due to two millenia of Christian love. Some Jews just do not want to live in a Gentile world. Can you not accept that. Just like some Irish do not want to live in a Protestant world.
BDV

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:37 pm
I hope beyond anything that the people of palestine find peace, humanity and a life for their children
georgeob1

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 07:16 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

...I can sympathize with the Palestinians and fault the wrong-headed (and unjust) insistence of the Israelis on an expansionist and perpetually Jewish state...

"Perpetually Jewish"? Are you under the belief that the world should be like the Navy, where all types can live on a ship together in peace? Israel should be perpetually Jewish as penance for the hatred in Europe due to two millenia of Christian love. Some Jews just do not want to live in a Gentile world. Can you not accept that. Just like some Irish do not want to live in a Protestant world.
Unfortunately in this case the "pennance" is being done by those innocent of the persecutions to which you refer. Perhaps if the Allied powers had given the displaced Zionists a piece of the former East Prussia, that might be an appropriate argument.

Some Irish Catholics did not want to live in a "Protestant" world in the six counties of Northern Ireland, just as some others who were Protestant feared living in a "Catholic" world. Happily, after a three hundred year struggle, and lots of self-serving manipuation by the UK, they got over it (for the most part at least), and are now working hard at living (and prospering) together. Both sides are far bettter off for forgetting, and I believe there is a vital lesson here for Israelis and Palestinians.

The UK had been the self serving protector for the Orange faction in Ireland for many years, until it too gave up on it and worked rather well to force the opposing sides to confront one another. The U.S. role in the Middle East since the 1967 war has been very much like that, and we too need to work to force the two populations to confront one another and (If they can) learn to live together. The alternative is continued murder, hatred and destruction. No one benefits from that.
Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 07:34 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Unfortunately in this case the "pennance" is being done by those innocent of the persecutions to which you refer. Perhaps if the Allied powers had given the displaced Zionists a piece of the former East Prussia that might be an appropriate argument.

Some Irish Catholics did not want to live in a "Protestant" world in the six counties of Northern Ireland, just as some others who were Protestant feared living in a "Catholic" world. Happily, after a three hundred year struggle, and lots of self-serving manipuation by the UK, they got over it (for the most part at least), and are working hard at living (and prospering) together. Both sides are far bettter off for forgetting, and I believe there is a lesson here for Israelis and Palestinians.

The UK had been the self serving protector for the Orange faction in Ireland for many years, until it too gave up on it and worked to force the opposing sides to confront one another. The U.S. role in the Middle East since the 1967 war has been very much like that, and we too need to work to force the two populations to confront one another and (If they can) learn to live together. The alternative is continued murder, hatred and destruction.

The problem I see with your analogy of the Catholic/Protestant centuries of "troubles," and Israel's situation is that no Catholics, nor Protestants, ever decided to exterminate the other repective group IN TOTALITY. So, since Israel exists as a direct consequence of the Final Solution, that had help from non-Germans, I am again reiterating my belief that Jews should have the availability of the emotional therapy of living sans Gentiles. Not all Jews have the thick skin to live in a world where non-Jewish folks predominate (or dominate). So, I believe Jews need a place to live, without the outside world intruding. Let's not call it penance. Let's call it Gentile payback.

On another level, I look upon those that cannot accept a Jewish State, as being for Jews (only), as not having had "closure" on the thought that Gentiles should not dominate Jews in this world. You see, there are some Jews that really do not want to rub elbows, so to speak, with the Gentile world, and a "Jewish neighborhood" is just a poor "booby prize." By the way, the Republic of Ireland does allow Irish Catholics to begone with Protestants. Jews should have the same luxury. Ta my way of tinkin', if I'm tinkin' et all!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:06 pm
@georgeob1,
Agreeing with you, George. Well, I'm not so sure about the propriety of our role in it, but since we already have our feet all over the place, that change in effort would be for the better.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 10:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Don't tell me I have to explain it to you izzy.

You, apparently, are of the opinion that an existential threat to Israel doesn't exist. I doubt the opinion, in this regard, of a Palestinian Solidarity Campaigner and Hama apologist is of any value whatsoever to Israelis.

It's a shame though since you know so much more about their situation than they do.

Tell me izzy, has a similar organization formed in the UK to express solidarity with the Tibetians, and are you a member? How about solildarity with the Uighurs? How many concerts in London by Chinese performing groups have been disturbed by righteous demonstrators in the UK?

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 10:18 pm
@Foofie,
Well, you sure as hell don't know anything about the history of Ireland, do you?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 10:26 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I can sympathize with the Palestinians and fault the wrong-headed (and unjust) insistence of the Israelis on an expansionist and perpetually Jewish state. However, given the history of this sorry part of the world, I cannot understand Izzy's claim to be proud to be British. On this subject (and South Africa as well) shame is the more appropriate emotion.

But can you sympathize with Jews who want Israel to remain a Jewish State?

Do you believe that if The Right of Return is granted and hundreds of thousands of fecund Muslim Palestinians move into Israel that Jews will, at mid-century, have a Homeland or even a safe place in which to reside in the Middle-East?

Tough on the Jews I guess.

georgeob1

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:27 pm
@Foofie,
The fact is that through neglect, indifference and systematic expropriation and ownership of the best land by absentee English landlords who farmed the most productive lands for cash crops sold in England, the British did manage to kill almost three million Irishmen through starvation in the mid nineteenth century. That caused the second great wave of emigration from Ireland(to the U.S. South America and Australia). There's lots more that could be written about the British oppression and exploitation of Ireland that continued for centurys.

I suppose there were lots of Irishmen who didn't want to "rub elbows" with Englishmen and lots of Englismen who felt the same about the Irish. However they got over it. When the Irish republic was created there was no retaliation against the still considerable resident English population, and many irish emigrated to England to find work.

I don't buy your arguments about the supposed permanent right of Jews to oppress others as an entitlement of the Holocaust. The history of the world is filled with oppression, slaughter and war. Were such a principle applied uniformly throughout the world we would all live in permanent isolation and conflict. Grotesque, horrible and recent as was the Holocaust, it does not confer the right of oppression of others, not guilty of these crimes, on the descendents of European Jews who themselves were not victims of them.

The sad truth is that Israel has itself become to a large degree a parody of the former oppressors of European Jews.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

But can you sympathize with Jews who want Israel to remain a Jewish State?

No, not at all. Such a state is an anachronism in the modern world. Given that Israel was created by forcibly evicting its former residents, I believe some negotiated right of return is a practical necessity. The only path to peace and security for the Jewish population of Israel is for them to do justice to and make peace with their neighbors. Certainly the path they have been on since 1947 cannot be sustained, and the political & financial cost to my country for aiding them since 1967 has become both too great and obnoxious for a growing number of Americans.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 01:11 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

There might be some South African Blacks that could be insulted if they misconstrued your comparison to mean that they are like Jew hating Palestineans.

The relationship between Jews and Muslims in Jerusalem has for many years been very harmonious. It's only recently that there has been strife. Palestinians are not motivated by hatred of Jews because they're anti-semites. They're motivated by a huge sense of injustice, people were thrown out of their homes, some kicked out of the country, and the oppression is still going on today. It suits your argument to make it about bigotry, it's not, it's about justice.

Quote:
Do you condemn any Germans for being so accepting of Nazi atrocities,

Well it's not as if the Israelis are bothered about Nazis when it suits their own purposes.
Quote:
When the South African prime minister John Vorster made a state visit to Israel in April 1976, it began with a tour of Yad Vashem, Israel's major Holocaust memorial, where the late Yitzhak Rabin invited the onetime Nazi collaborator, unabashed racist and white supremacist to pay homage to Jews murdered in the Holocaust.

Compared, say, to routine outcries from organized Jewry over often even mild whiffs of Holocaust controversy, no less remarkable was the bland equanimity both Israeli and diaspora Jews also displayed toward the Vorster visit.

Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi recalls [The Israeli Connection, Random House: Toronto, 1987, p.x]:
"For most Israelis, the Vorster visit was just another state visit by a foreign leader. It did not draw much attention. Most Israelis did not even remember his name, and did not see anything unusual, much less surreal in the scene [an old Nazi diehard invited to 'mourn' the victims at a Holocaust memorial]: Vorster was just another visiting dignitary being treated to the usual routine."
The old Nazi collaborator was graciously welcomed by his hosts. The South African leader left Israel four days later -- after signing a number of friendship treaties between the Jewish state and South Africa's racist, apartheid regime. A denouement Leslie and Andrew Cockburn describe in Dangerous Liaison [Stoddart Publishing: Toronto, 1991, pp. 299 - 300]:
"The old Nazi sympathizer came away with bilateral agreements for commercial, military, and nuclear cooperation that would become the basis for future relations between the two countries."
Leaving unmentioned Vorster's wartime internment for supporting Germany, Israel's prime minister, Yitzhak Rabin, hailed the South African premier as a force for freedom and made no mention of Vorster's past as he toured the Jerusalem memorial to the six million Jews murdered by the Nazis. At a state banquet, Rabin toasted "the ideals shared by Israel and South Africa: the hopes for justice and peaceful coexistence". Both countries, he said, faced "foreign-inspired instability and recklessness".
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 01:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Tell me izzy, has a similar organization formed in the UK to express solidarity with the Tibetians, and are you a member? How about solildarity with the Uighurs? How many concerts in London by Chinese performing groups have been disturbed by righteous demonstrators in the UK?

That is the argument of the dilettante. Complaining about Tibet is something nice and safe to do, without any real consequences. China is a major part of the world economy, they can't be shut out just like that. Let's not forget how much money America owes China, or how much money is made (for western owners of copyright, eg. Mattel) by using cheap Chinese labour.

Whenever there is a Chinese state visit to the UK there are protests about human rights, the most notable protests occurred during the Olympic torch processions. China can always shrug off criticism of Tibet because of Israel, and accuse the West of double standards. If you're really concerned about the plight of the Tibetans and Uighurs, you should start by demanding justice for the Palestinians.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 03:00 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry, my last post didn't come out right. This is how it should read.
Foofie wrote:

There might be some South African Blacks that could be insulted if they misconstrued your comparison to mean that they are like Jew hating Palestineans.

The relationship between Jews and Muslims in Jerusalem has for many years been very harmonious. It's only recently that there has been strife. Palestinians are not motivated by hatred of Jews because they're anti-semites. They're motivated by a huge sense of injustice, people were thrown out of their homes, some kicked out of the country, and the oppression is still going on today. It suits your argument to make it about bigotry, it's not, it's about justice.

Quote:
Do you condemn any Germans for being so accepting of Nazi atrocities,

Well it's not as if the Israelis are bothered about Nazis when it suits their own purposes.
Quote:
When the South African prime minister John Vorster made a state visit to Israel in April 1976, it began with a tour of Yad Vashem, Israel's major Holocaust memorial, where the late Yitzhak Rabin invited the onetime Nazi collaborator, unabashed racist and white supremacist to pay homage to Jews murdered in the Holocaust.

Compared, say, to routine outcries from organized Jewry over often even mild whiffs of Holocaust controversy, no less remarkable was the bland equanimity both Israeli and diaspora Jews also displayed toward the Vorster visit.

Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi recalls [The Israeli Connection, Random House: Toronto, 1987, p.x]:
"For most Israelis, the Vorster visit was just another state visit by a foreign leader. It did not draw much attention. Most Israelis did not even remember his name, and did not see anything unusual, much less surreal in the scene [an old Nazi diehard invited to 'mourn' the victims at a Holocaust memorial]: Vorster was just another visiting dignitary being treated to the usual routine."
The old Nazi collaborator was graciously welcomed by his hosts. The South African leader left Israel four days later -- after signing a number of friendship treaties between the Jewish state and South Africa's racist, apartheid regime. A denouement Leslie and Andrew Cockburn describe in Dangerous Liaison [Stoddart Publishing: Toronto, 1991, pp. 299 - 300]:
"The old Nazi sympathizer came away with bilateral agreements for commercial, military, and nuclear cooperation that would become the basis for future relations between the two countries."
Leaving unmentioned Vorster's wartime internment for supporting Germany, Israel's prime minister, Yitzhak Rabin, hailed the South African premier as a force for freedom and made no mention of Vorster's past as he toured the Jerusalem memorial to the six million Jews murdered by the Nazis. At a state banquet, Rabin toasted "the ideals shared by Israel and South Africa: the hopes for justice and peaceful coexistence". Both countries, he said, faced "foreign-inspired instability and recklessness".

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 03:06 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I suppose there were lots of Irishmen who didn't want to "rub elbows" with Englishmen and lots of Englismen who felt the same about the Irish. However they got over it. When the Irish republic was created there was no retaliation against the still considerable resident English population, and many irish emigrated to England to find work.

The relationship between Irish and English is probably better now than at any time in the past. I think this is mainly due to the last governments insistance to take the peace talks seriously, that and coming clean over the bloody Sunday massacre. I am Concerned about Cameron's cosying up to the Ulster Unionists though.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 08:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush, you've shown in this thread that you are an anti-Semite. Prior to this, I'd thought of you as a not terribly swift person in the intellect department, that at least couldn't be helped. Your clear hatred of a group of people, is something which can be helped.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 08:38 am
@Sturgis,
That's right, equate support for Palestine with anti-semitism, and throw in an insult at the same time. You really do know how to debate a topic.

I suppose prominant Jewish supporters of Palestinian self-determination like Gerald Kauffman, Alexi Sayle and Stephen Fry are also anti-semitic. Sorry, I know, they're self-hating Jews. You really are unable to discuss the treatment of the Palestinians aren't you? I guess that what comes of you being so clever 'n all.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:05 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, that's right Goldman...er, I mean izzythepush, I'm the bad guy and you're a saint.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:11 am
@Sturgis,
Izzy has shown nothing that could be interpreted as anti-Semite. That Oralboy go to line doesn't suit you, Sturgis.

Speaking up for people that are being horribly mistreated is supposed to be something Americans are big on.

But, it seems, not when it doesn't serve their foreign policy or when there's a personal conflict of interest.

Sturgis

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:17 am
@JTT,
Speaking up is one thing, he crossed the line...several times.