United States Government Agency

gollum

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 07:37 pm
The U.S. Government creates a new agency, which proceeds to hire employees. Then it finds it doesn't have the requisite offices or other resources to enable the employees to work. So it tells the employees to stay home without work for an indefinite period. Meanwhile the employees remain on the payroll with benefits.

Is this legal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,063 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:39 am
@gollum,
Sure. Stuff like that happens all the time.

You ask if this is legal. Why wouldn't it be? What law would be violated?
gollum

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 04:31 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei-
Thank you.

I'm not sure, maybe it is legal.

I believe the government should dispurse (spelling?) funds in order to attain some public policy purpose. Paying someone for no work runs against that principle.

I recognize welfare spending is legal as it helps poor people meet their basic needs.

I have heard of government "no show" jobs where someone high up in a government agency puts a friend on the payroll without any work. I think that is illegal, though I don't know which law it violates.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 12:54 pm
@gollum,
Quote:
I have heard of government "no show" jobs where someone high up in a government agency puts a friend on the payroll without any work. I think that is illegal, though I don't know which law it violates.

You'll probably find that this happens more often in the private sector.
0 Replies