Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:17 pm
I don't know if lint is an extreme a problem for you as it is for me but it completely clogs the drains in my set tubs in the basement, which serve as catch basins for the washer. Last summer, after receiving my law suit money, I hired a plumbing firm do correct a half dozen small problems, including this one. The plumber who came to the house installed a clean out on the pipes leading away from the set tub ( a place to open the pipes).

The tubs have not drained in more than a week and we can not do wash. This happens all the time. Since the drain holes are in the far corner of the tubs, I can not find a filter to put over the holes. Using half a mesh tea ball occurred to me the other day but I don't know how to fasten it to the sink.

I have tried attaching old pantyhose to the hose to trap lint but it didn't stay on well. Ditto a commercial lint trap that attaches the same way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,764 • Replies: 8
No top replies

lost my calgon

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 02:18 pm
I was going to mention pantyhose...but how about this

Some mesh screening, like the stuff we use for screened windows and doors. At least its somewhat moldable and may stay on the end of the hose better. Otherwise, you should probably call a plumber.
Have you tried snaking the drains in the tubs? You can buy snakes at any hardware store...its a long metal hose looking thing with a handle on the end...put that sucker down the drain and crank away...
hope this sort of helps....good luck
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 02:00 pm
The way the cross pieces that cover the drains are formed makes the use of most snakes impossible. Looked at the clean out the plumber installed and if I can find the wrench I hid from my son during his difficulties years ago, I think we can open the clean out.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:51 am
When we moved into this house in 1983, the bath tub was slow to drain. A plumber told us that the old way of setting up drain pipes was to put bends in them to prevent sewer gasses from rising up into the house and that over the years, the bath's drain had become very clogged.

We had the house replumbed with new PVC pipes which the plumber said would be easier to maintain and less likely to freeze.

Well, under the set tubs is a can like structure. The left hand tub -- further from the main drain -- empties into this structure below the spot where the exit pipe leads away. This is the only lead piping that remains. Whether this was purposeful or an oversight to the original job described above (the plumber never put a radiator in our first floor powder room and it is unpleasant), I am not certain.

Last spring, with my income tax refund, I had a plumber address that drain and he installed a "clean out," a place where the pipe can be opened that is on the exit route of the lead pipe. Opening it and ramming a coat hanger through the pipes in either direction failed to drain the tub. Maybe I should call the plumber again but his price is steep.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:35 pm
plainold, you can buy metal mesh screens that fit over the end of the discharge hose from the washer. We get them in packs of three at Wal-Mart.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 03:15 pm
Swimpy,
Whose the coffee drinker in your icon?

I've tried a filter over the discharge hose before. Maybe this one is a different style and will work better. Dumped four pounds of baking soda and a gallon of white vinegar down the drain today. There is now only about three inches of water in the tubs. I do think the structure beneath the tubs is ultimately to blame and the lint is only a mediate cause.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 03:49 pm
What about drain covers? They will cover the hole allowing water through and collecting debris. The debris can then be removed above the level of the drain hole.

Doesn't your washing machine contain a lint catcher? I guess that's a rather redundant question, isn't it? Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:56 pm
The drains are too close to the corner of the sink to use drain covers: we tried that.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 05:59 pm
plainold, It's Ray Davies of the Kinks.

We've used the wire mesh screens for years and have never had a problem with a plugged drain. They're very cheap so I recommend giving them a try.
0 Replies