JPB

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 01:38 pm
@ehBeth,
I would have skipped the chin-ups too.

I saw Dr Wizard today. Still no therapy pool for at least another week - bulging discs and heat do not work well together. I'm to continue with ice as needed for discomfort (none) and increase my walks to 2 miles/day split into two 1 mile outings. I can start 8MM again so long as there's no pain and I avoid any twisting motions. He said I'll probably never do an oblique crunch again - fine with me! I'm to continue with the marching/bouncing/stretching indefinitely. Peddling is ok so long as there's no discomfort to my back, hips, or knees (my hips and knees are included because I'm restricted from using the therapy pool). I'm to carry on and return next Thursday. Sounds like a plan!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 01:49 pm
@JPB,
that's kinda ironic.

I'd rather do chin-ups than walk a mile...
JPB

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 01:51 pm
@Rockhead,
chin ups require arm strength that I don't have. Plus, there's a hellofalotta me below the chin to lift!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 01:52 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
avoid any twisting motions.

one to keep an eye out for - taking something on its hanger out of the closet

... and my personal not favourite - bending over to look at something and then turning to look at someone who's asking you a question - straighten up before you turn to look/answer

bending in combination with turning is twisting, but it's such a sneaky move, seems to be everywhere
Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 01:55 pm
@JPB,
oh well.
glad you're able to walk again while the weather is nice...

I found my old back brace. the comfortable one.

I can mail it...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 01:56 pm
@ehBeth,
indeed! I find myself making 90-degree turns all over the place so that I'm facing whatever it is I want to pick up off the floor. It's not as automatic yet as it needs to be but I've still got enough of a twinge in the lower left that it tells me that I shouldn't do what I've just started to do. That's why I'm still restricted from using heat. As long as there's a twinge with slight twisting then the bulge hasn't completely re-adsorbed.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 01:58 pm
@JPB,
it's really the only good thing about back braces - they don't heal anything but they can sure prevent you from twisting
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:41 pm
@JPB,
How's it going MzJPB?

Looking forward to seeing Mr Wizard tomorrow...

(((JPB)))x
JPB

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:53 pm
@Izzie,
Hi dahling!

I'm doing great, thanks!

No Dr Wizard until next Thursday which means that I'm at a 10-day interval between visits which indicates VAST improvement!

My bouncy ball arrived yesterday and Mr B started to pump it up with the hand pump I bought along with it. After his hands started to go numb and his shoulder started to scream he took it out to the garage and used the compressor. The first time he brought it in it was only about 1/2 the size it was supposed to be. He couldn't believe it so I got out the tape measure and showed him. Hey, what can I say? I'm 6' tall and I bought a BIG bouncy ball. Five more trips to the garage and we called it close enough at 26" in diameter (29" is max) because it wasn't going to fit through the door if it got much bigger. I gave it a test bounce last night and bounced away to my heart's content this morning. I've taken over M's bedroom as my workout room. She'll be thrilled (not).

I went to my Wednesday class this morning at the interfaith center and had the first of two classes in "Passage Meditation". The instructor went through the highlights of this type of meditation and then offered to stay for an extra half hour for anyone who wanted to try it. I've never meditated before (well, not for more than 30 seconds). It was Amazing. I can't believe I was able to do a 30 minute silent mediation without squirming out of my seat. What a gift! Here's the technique if anyone is interested. http://www.easwaran.org/

We're having Indian Summer here this week. Temps in the 70s and full sunshine. I marched and bounced and stretched and walked (and showered) before my class this morning. I'm beginning to like Wednesdays. Mr. Green

(((( Iz ))))
sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:21 pm
@JPB,
Great, glad the improvement continues!

JPB wrote:
After his hands started to go numb and his shoulder started to scream

Ha, yes, this was why I was worried about you doing it! Pumping it up can be a pretty good workout itself. (And yeah, they inflate like balloons -- I was disappointed at how small mine was and then kept going and sure enough, it went up to the advertised size.)

- signed, No Air Compressor Around Here.
Izzie

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:22 pm
@JPB,
Ooooh, you sound asbolutely mahhhvellous Razz

so glad things are on the improve...

do take it easy tho, <please> little steps, little bounces Mr. Green

love you much JPB x

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:29 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

- signed, No Air Compressor Around Here.

Yeah, I thought of you while he was doing it by hand. I'm not sure what size you bought but he pumped by hand for almost an hour before he saw any signs of roundness. There's no way I could have done it.
sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:30 pm
@JPB,
This says "65" -- I think 65 centimeters. That'd be 25.6 inches.

edit: maybe a faulty pump, though, it took me only about 30 (rather energetic) minutes total.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:30 pm
@JPB,
for those without a compressor, you can buy an air mattress inflator for about $15. they are slow, but dependable...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:31 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

do take it easy tho, <please> little steps, little bounces Mr. Green

absolutely! I'm actually liking the twice-a-day walks at half the distance each. I may continue it even after I get the all clear to go back to my full routines. It gives me a reason to get out of The Chair in the afternoon and assess whether I really want to come back to it or call it a day.

xoxox
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:34 pm
@sozobe,
That's right about where we ended up. Mine is a 75 (29"), but 26 is plenty high for my purposes. Plus, it gives it a little more bounce if it's not completely filled.

Re the pump: maybe - he said it seemed like the air was coming out as fast as he was putting it in. All's well now!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:41 pm
@sozobe,
Mine came with a foot pump. It was a good 20+ minutes of stomping to get the blinking thing pumped up to its full size. Good exercise, that stomping.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 02:38 pm
My son Rhys's PT recommended a bouncy ball for him when he was in
grammar school. His brother Nigel dang near destroyed the family room
with it.

Happy (non-destructive) bouncing!
JPB

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 10:09 am
@George,
Thanks, George. Both girls will be here this weekend. I'm curious to see which one of them wants to bring the ball home with them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 02:40 pm
@JPB,
Today completes week 7 of The Plan. I returned to walking and 8MMing daily. I'm not peddling much because it's causing some discomfort and I'm restricted from using the therapy pool to help with my knees. My walks are now 1.5 miles twice each day. My neighbor is joining me on the afternoon walks. It's nice to have company.

My weight is down 2.0 lbs from last week, which is a 22 lb loss in 7 weeks and 1 lb from my target weight. I assume I'll reach my target sometime this coming week. My appt with the neurologist is 2 weeks away. I was able to get a full month's refill of both prescription on the insurance. That will tie me over long enough to get a proactive plan in place with the neurologist. I am now uninsured. It could be a few days or a few weeks before everything gets sorted out and my coverage is in place with the state. Insurance or no, I've decided to stay on the statin until I'm sure I've stabilized my weight loss. The third phase of the food plan is targeted to last 5 days for each lb lost. I'll add in the 7 lbs I lost before starting and plan on five months of consolidation before moving on to the fourth and final phase. I hope to be off the plavix in four weeks and then I'll see how I'm doing before coming off the statin.

I've almost completed Part A of The Plan. I've eliminated my bp meds and successfully controlled my blood pressure through diet and weight loss. Part B (stabilize the weight loss and eliminate the anti-coagulant therapy) begins in the next few days. It will be nice if it all happens over the course of the next month but there may be more surprises and setbacks.

Thanks for reading and posting!