How can be travelling around the world (or major of)?

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 04:07 am
As title, was amazing, is there any talent trying/tried/going to try?

This is my dream from age of young. But many things have to be considered during the journey.

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 04:22 am
@strepsils,
Is that you, Walter?
strepsils

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 04:24 am
@Lordyaswas,
Nope, I'm fresh in a2k.
Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 06:10 am
@strepsils,
It's for English lessons you are lacking. Pls be trying this site: www.spaminationtravelagency.com
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 06:12 am
@Ragman,
Yoda's grandson he is.
strepsils

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 09:45 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm serious...
Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 10:00 am
@strepsils,
If you're serious, then you need to clearly state what your question is. Personally, I have no idea what you are asking.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 10:14 am
@strepsils,
I realize that English is not your first language. My understanding of what you're asking is, your dream is to travel around the world, but you don't know how to make that happen and you don't know what it will entail.

A few things (not in any particular order) -
  • You'll need money. Lots of it. Travel isn't cheap. Consider all of the things you use on a daily basis that you buy in bulk because they're cheaper (shampoo, for example). You can't really do that when you travel because you're carrying everything. Even when you use cabs everywhere (even more expense), you are still lifting suitcases off beds or otherwise are hauling them around.
  • Related to the previous point, you need to pack less. Almost everyone does. Your clothes should all go with each other. They should be durable. They shouldn't need ironing, and you should know how to repair them. That means not just sewing a seam or a patch, but also replacing buttons, zippers, and snaps. Unless you want to pay for all of that, too.
  • Lots of parts of the world aren't very safe, or they aren't safe for women traveling alone (I have no idea which gender you are). Like it or not, that's reality.
  • Consider what you mean by "around the world". Is that just big cities? Is it natural wonders? You need to make this a bit more manageable. There's a lot of world out there.
  • Understand that if you have any dietary restrictions or considerations (e. g. for religious reasons, or you have lactose intolerance, or you're a vegetarian, or you are on the Paleo Diet or whatever), you are probably going to be dropping them in any number of places. Why? Because it'll just be too difficult to get what you need, or to make yourself understood if you need to special order something.
  • How many languages do you speak? Your English question here was barely understandable to native speakers, who mistook you for a spammer. How will you get along in other parts of the world if you cannot be understood?
  • Are you resourceful? Can you find things like drugstores, shoe repair, or a grocery, if you don't speak the language? Can you find a police station if you need one?
  • How quick are you with basic math, to calculate tips? Did you know that parts of the world don't take tips, and consider them to be insulting? Did you know that in other parts of the world, bargaining is the norm? How well do you handle money?
  • How street smart are you? Your picture of the adorable 10 year old toting a too-big-for-him gun in Sierra Leone could get you arrested.
  • Who do you know in various parts of the world? I mean really know, as in people who could give you a couch to sleep on, or a meal, or even loan you the money to bail you out of jail if you needed it?
  • Can't live without your cell phone? Laptop? Gaming device? There are parts of the world where toting those around makes you a prime target for thieves. And you do realize that you need special chargers for all this equipment, too?
  • Do you have anything quick you could do for money if you needed to earn some? I am talking about washing dishes or sweeping floors or the like, not prostitution, in case you were wondering. But if you run out of money, you might need to do something like this in order to get by.
  • Are you on any medications? Are they the kinds of drugs you can get months' worth of at a time? Are they the kinds of drugs someone would steal from you in order to get high or resell them? If you're on insulin, or on anti-depressants, you might be targeted by thieves.
  • Speaking of medicines, how strong is your stomach? You wouldn't be the first person to get traveler's dysentery, or just good old diarrhea. And foreign hospitals might not be as nice as you're used to.
  • How old are you? What does your family say about all of this? What does work say? You have told someone that you're planning this, right? Because to just embark upon a journey like this, without telling anyone, is to invite disaster. Tell someone, and promise to check in regularly, so that they know when to be concerned.

That's it off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of other concerns. It is a glamorous idea, but the reality can be far different.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 10:15 am
I have a theory that it's Ludvig, Walter's brother.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 02:39 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I've been around the block a few times - like about 30. I've been to all five continents, been to the northernmost and southernmost cities of the world, flew to the highest point on earth, dipped my feet in the lowest point on earth, and I still enjoy walking the streets of this world.
You can get a peek at <www.travelpod.com/members/c.i.222>
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 03:04 pm
@strepsils,
Also am I!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 03:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So what do you pack, and how much of it do you pack.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 03:39 pm
@roger,
It really depends on the destination. On my last trip to Cuba, half my luggage was filled with used clothes to give to my friends, because clothing is so expensive in their country. I love cruising, and most times it's smart casual. If the laundry service is "cheap," I don't need to take as much as I usually do, but also use vacuum packs. I take three washable underpants, and rotate them. I try to wear each piece of clothing (except sox) three times. I also take along my camera with two extra batteries, my iPad mini, my cell phone(s), MP3, kindle, and charging wires with necessary socket converter. My two luggage measures 22x14x9 and 16x14x9, (both on wheels) and it doesn't matter the length of my trip.
roger

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 04:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks. I hope strepsils finds that helpful as well.
0 Replies

strepsils

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:56 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks but I failed to visit the website you mentioned.
0 Replies

strepsils

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 09:46 pm
@jespah,
You're right that English is not my mother language.
I'd like to appreciate so much for your kind analysis and valuable advice for me. It seems you gave me an initial concept and direction. For all the words you wrote to me, I'll print them all out and reexamine them detail by detail. Really really thank you very much for your help my friend.
jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:32 am
@strepsils,
My pleasure, and please take to heart what cicerone imposter has written here. He travels a lot.
0 Replies