Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 02:09 pm
@JPB,
them windy days used to remind me of home...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 03:54 pm
@JPB,
I am extremely proud of you for doing it and doing it well - especially in all of that wind. It's kind of nice to be able to have a fairly easy goal in that respect.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 02:49 am
@JPB,
You don't want to lose anymore weight? Thud. And I salute you.

What comprises the second half of consolidation?
wandeljw

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 05:15 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I have my baseline - 49:20 Shocked

It's wiiiiiiiindy out there. The only way we get into the mid-50s in January is with a strong south wind pushing in warm air. About 40% of my walk is facing south. I didn't feel nearly the benefit of the tail wind as I did the effort of walking against the head wind. Also, I must have been favoring my still-weak right leg yesterday because my left hamstring was really tight. I almost gave up at the half-way point because my left leg was hurting but I focused on form and pushed through. I was over dressed in spots, under dressed in others. What wasn't hot was cold. AND, I did back-to-back timed events on two consecutive days.

<whine, whine, whine....>

I accomplished my goal du jour - establish an outdoor baseline for 5K. It should be easy to improve on this one!

We all need to be careful. I was my daughter's running companion for a 5K run 2 years ago. She has short legs, was only age 10, but she beat me by a full 30 seconds. My daughter was happy and giddy, but I was hurting everywhere.
JPB

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 08:06 am
@wandeljw,
Ouch!

I know not to try to run. My leg and knee joints can't take the pounding. Rest day today other than MB8S. I may hit the therapy pool this afternoon though.
JPB

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 08:19 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

You don't want to lose anymore weight? Thud. And I salute you.

What comprises the second half of consolidation?

Thanks ((( B )))

Consolidation is 5 days for each lb lost and is split into two halves. I originally lost 30lbs so I was allowed one celebration meal (pig out, as desired) and one starchy side dish (rice/potatoes/pasta/etc) per week. This is in addition to adding 2 slices of bread, 1.5 oz of cheese and 1 serving of fruit daily. Those things continue through the entire consolidation phase but the 2nd half increases the celebrations meals and starchy side dishes to twice weekly each. I lost an additional 11 lbs during the first half of consolidation so I kept moving out the total time and, hence, the half-way point. I don't want to consolidate any further loss than the 41 lbs I've lost to date so I'll add in the other celebration meal and starchy side dish this week. Some folks don't lose any in the first half of consolidation and some do. Some want to maintain that additional loss (move out the total time like I did) and some don't. I think that's where individual metabolism comes into play. Mine was asleep for much of the past 5 years but it's gone into overdrive now.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 08:22 am
@JPB,
My 8 year old just asked me to run the Mercedes Marathon with him this morning.... Really not sure about the running part. And I am pretty sure he means the 5K portion. At least that is what I am going to tell him he means. It's in two weeks.

Crazy kid.
JPB

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 08:25 am
@mismi,
Oh.... do it! Running or walking. You'll be glad you did. There were a couple kids running the 5K that I walked in November. I think they did the course twice. They passed me twice, at least.
mismi

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 09:09 am
@JPB,
That little man of mine is quite the runner. I am sure he would lap me. I told him we could do it....ugh. It's good for me, it's good for me, it's good for me....
JPB

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 09:23 am
@mismi,
YAY!!! You'll be glad you did.
Izzie

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:16 pm
@JPB,
peekaboo

how are you?

you've gone quiet

how's the diet?

<ok, that was soooooooo bad>

thoughts of you

and much love too

let us know

how ya go?

(((((JPB)))))x
JPB

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 09:50 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Found it!
Quote:
Yesterday Mr B and I walked (me)/ran (him) our first chip-timed 5K charity race. I came in second in my division (F/50-59) and first among the walkers! YAY, ME!!! The woman who won my division beat me by 15 mins so there's no doubt she was a runner. My time was 45:53.55 (14:48/Min per mile pace) or 4.05 mph for 3.1 miles. I'll take it! I was overdressed because it was supposed to rain (didn't). I think I can shave a few seconds off of that the next time. It's late in the race season but I can shoot for 45:30 by spring.

Ok... I'll take that goal. 45:30 by March.

I hadn't walked in ages until this morning. I've been traveling a lot and I spent most of last weekend in bed with back spasms. I got the all clear from my chiro on Tuesday to start walking again. I walked 1.5 miles at a moderate pace on Tues and Weds, but then got so busy with work that I never left the house on Thurs or Fri.

Today was the chip-timed 5K that I'd signed up for months ago. I almost didn't go. In fact, I felt so crappy last night that I decided not to try to get up in time to get to Naperville by 7:30 (45 mins away). But then I woke up early, had a cup of coffee, saw the weather report and decided to give it a try. The conditions were ideal - 60 degrees, gentle breeze, brilliant sun.

I was hoping to beat my time last fall of 45:54 but I didn't have much hope because I'd been such a slouch lately. The first thing I noticed is that they have hills in Naperville. Hills? In IL? Who knew? There were 2200 participants and all but about 200 of us were lined up at the runners starting line. The walkers were in the back. I noticed that the race clock was 4:45 when I crossed the starting line. I was shocked when I reached the one mile mark at 18:50. A 14 min pace? Really? Even going uphill much of the first 1/2 mile? Cool! I recalled that I came in just under 46 mins in November and had wanted to shave a few seconds off of that by March. I was definitely on pace to do that if I didn't burn out. The race clock at the 2 mile mark read 32:40 - still maintaining a 14 min pace and still feeling great. 1.1 miles to go and some of the runners in front of me had slowed way down to a slow walk. I was definitely ahead of most of the walker group and now I was starting to pass some of the joggers/trotters. My official time was 41:39 for 3.1 miles (5K). YAY ME!!!
JPB

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 09:51 am
@Izzie,
Hi hunni,

I'm good. Crazy schedule and lots going on, but I'm hanging in there.

We should try to catch up soon.

(((Iz)))
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:09 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
We apologize for the fact that the race distance was a bit short. We had the distance carefully measured, but for reasons that I won't go into, the turnaround on the north end was moved. Let me just say that it will not happen again next year. We are not sure, but the distance was probably short about 0.05 miles. So, you need to put an asterisk in front of that personal best that you put in your log.

HA! Well, that explains that! My next 5K is in two weeks on a dirt path. We'll see how I compare.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 01:12 pm
I've been making my own yogurt for a couple months now. I can't believe how much better it is than store-bought. Santa brought me a yogurt maker (incubator) for Christmas, but it can also be done in a crock pot or slow oven.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 01:18 pm
On a medical note - I got the all clear from the chiro yesterday to return to full activities. My back has been acting up a bit. Nothing like last summer but enough that I've been taking it kind of easy.

Also, this morning I had a rapidly growing "thing" removed from my thigh (near the base of my butt cheek). I've got a divot where there used to be a bump. All should even out in a few weeks. Pathology is pending but the doc said it looks benign.

My weight is steady and I have no other health concerns. Blessings counted!
Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 02:16 pm
@JPB,
Yup, they count. Are you counting.

Glad all seems to be well with you. I've been experiencing another of my non-diet weight losses. Eating mush for a few weeks (tooth problems). I moved another notch in on my belt.
JPB

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 02:23 pm
@Roberta,
I lost count, but they're innumerable.

Sorry about the tooth problems and mush regimen. Is the weight loss a good thing or a not-so-good thing?
Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:57 pm
@JPB,
Absolutely a good thing, except for clothes. I bought some new clothes a few months ago for the first time in about ten years. Now they're too big. I can live with it.

Tried chewing two nights ago. Not bad. I may resume chewing.

You are an inspiration, kid.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 12:58 pm
@JPB,
Hey, flower lady. When my daughter took me out to eat on Mother's Day, I heard this one, and somehow, I identified with it. I was reminded of your journey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0