Aw, Steve Jobs is no longer Apple CEO

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 06:47 pm
I started to title this "Goodbye Steve Jobs, You Wild and Crazy Guy" but that sounded too eulogistic. He's just resigned.

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/steve-jobs-resigns-as-ceo-of-apple.php

Definitely a weirdo but man he's had some good ideas.

He's resigned because he says he can no longer carry out his duties, so I am worried about his health, too.

Think Apple can sustain its Apple-ness without him?

djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 06:48 pm
@sozobe,
interesting to see what the stock price does tomorrow
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 06:54 pm
@sozobe,
Hold the weddin', he'll still be chairman of the Apple board. So that's more involvement than I thought at first reading. Still.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:14 pm
@sozobe,
The stock will still plummet a bit. It did after every little breaking news event that involved his deteriorating health these past couple of years.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:29 pm
The stocks are down 19. points after hours...

I do worry about his health too - he looked so frail when he introduced iCloud in June and it seems that he's losing his battle with cancer.

My very first computer was an Apple..... that was in 1986 and I haven't
looked back since. In fact, I just bought a new iMac for my office yesterday. I've always loved Apple products and I will look forward to
many many more.

Tim Cook has run Apple for quite a while now and I think he'll do fine,
nonetheless, Steve Jobs is the icon and he will be sorely missed.
I hope there is much more time left for him and his family.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 08:23 pm
@sozobe,
A true visionary who kept his company on the path he envisioned through preeminently transitional times. Not an easy thing to do.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:37 pm
@sozobe,
I was sad when I heard the news because I know people who worked for him and they are worried about his health. I do think Apple will continue and be a thorn for Microsoft.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 07:03 am
I worked for a company connected to Apple in the 1980s and met Steve Jobs on a number of occasions. Once he was the key speaker at a conference at Disney World and he totally charmed everyone making us all life long Apple devotees. I admit I had a terrible crush on him (as did a few of the other women on my team). I think Apple was his only real passion. Based on what he has suffered with the last few years it must be shear force of will that got him this far. The company will continue, but Apple products have certainly made my life a little nicer and for that I am grateful to Mr Jobs.
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 08:14 am
Just so sad.

Here's a quick time line from the NYT of Apple's years with and without this genius man...the photos alone are priceless!
Mame

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 08:30 am
@Irishk,
Great link, IrishK... thanks!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:16 am
Lots of sad/ poignant quotes about this here (via Twitter), this in the middle of 'em made me laugh though:

Quote:
@FakeSarahPalin: See, I told you Obama is killing Jobs.
bigboat

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 02:06 pm
@sozobe,
laugh louder if ipad's price goes close to hp touchpad.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 08:28 pm
@Green Witch,
I have never met him and I think it is cute you had a crush on him. I agree from what I have read and watched, that Apple is his passion. I wish only the best for him. Thanks for sharing Green Witch.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:02 pm
We knew that if he resigned his health had to be terrible -- but still very sad to see that he's died.

http://www.apple.com/
0 Replies