Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:39 pm

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,410 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 08:36 am
You are traveling from A to B. The way you do it is that you go half the distance then stop. Then you go half of the remaining distance and stop. Then you go half of that distance and stop. Then half again, and so on. Every time you stop you travel half of the remaining distance. You will never arrive.
hamilton

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 08:38 am
@Cyracuz,
well, not necessarilly half. it could be any fraction or decimal, so long as it's less than whole.
or, what if you took a less direct route than straight to B? you could go the whole distance, but never get there.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 09:54 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

You are traveling from A to B. The way you do it is that you go half the distance then stop. Then you go half of the remaining distance and stop. Then you go half of that distance and stop. Then half again, and so on. Every time you stop you travel half of the remaining distance. You will never arrive.

Examples of infinity are everywhere of course e.g. consider travelling (put in a very simplistic way)...imagine you are walking…everything in font of your forward most shoe has yet to be travelled. The final most forward atom of your shoe has travelled the greatest distance... but that atom has a front part and a back part so the front part of the atom has travelled further than the back part. The front part of the atom also has a front and back part... and so on... ad infinitum. It gets complicated when you consider that one is always in a state of either having, travelled or not travelled so 'travelling' never actually takes place! You’ve either travelled or you haven’t!
JLNobody

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 11:17 am
@igm,
Cryacuz and IGM show us, intentionally of course, how logic can betray our concrete experience of how the world works.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 11:44 am
@JLNobody,
...have you ever heard of discrete space ? hmmm...you see infinity only makes sense in a loop, out of finity...and that is very logical to me...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 11:49 am
...is it a self defence mechanism that some guys can only thrive in anarchy ? its like they depend on it to keep up...sad ! Rolling Eyes
JLNobody

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 11:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
To the contrary: the pursuit of order is a defense against the nihilism (what you've called anarchy) of reality
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:10 pm
@JLNobody,
...no **** ? Wink
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 04:23 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...is it a self defence mechanism that some guys can only thrive in anarchy ? its like they depend on it to keep up...sad ! Rolling Eyes

I’m trying to understand your post. I see it something like this:
It's sad to be an anarchist (in a metaphorical sense) and some guys do this to keep up and thrive.

I’m going to have to ask some questions to understand what you’re trying to say:
What are they keeping up with?
How do they engage in this anarchy (please give an example)?
Why is it sad?
Why do you think it’s a self defence mechanism and what is it a defence against?
north

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 05:21 pm

infinity survives in the infinity of the energy and matter

which of course are beyond mathematics as being the essence of infinity

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 05:41 pm
@igm,
...I am talking about those old farts of pseudo soft sciences around the world polluting university´s with their nonsense...talking about the circus of humanists and their pathetic insights into knowledge where man plays in every aspect a central role...talking about a certain type of genotype that dreads measurement and precision as means of thriving while hiding the infinite scope of their incompetence and ignorance...yes there are two kinds of people in humanity since always, those of the order and those of anarchy...often the last ones play the part of the good guys...the freedom fighters of liberty and similar (Che Guevara) ****...have you never seen one ? lucky bastard...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 05:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...they are the close cousins of the Da Vinci Code´s turf of this forsaken world, the Illuminate´s, the fortune tellers and tarot throwers...Anthropologists, Sociologists, Psychologists, Politicians, Priests and all the bureaucratic bullshitters gang of mediocrity...
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 06:05 pm

hmmm, Fil

infinity survives in the infinity of the energy and matter

which of course are beyond mathematics as being the essence of infinity

0 Replies

igm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:00 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...I am talking about those old farts of pseudo soft sciences around the world polluting university´s with their nonsense...talking about the circus of humanists and their pathetic insights into knowledge where man plays in every aspect a central role...talking about a certain type of genotype that dreads measurement and precision as means of thriving while hiding the infinite scope of their incompetence and ignorance...yes there are two kinds of people in humanity since always, those of the order and those of anarchy...often the last ones play the part of the good guys...the freedom fighters of liberty and similar (Che Guevara) ****...have you never seen one ? lucky bastard...

I see. Thanks I understand where you're coming from now. Smile
JLNobody

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:11 am
@igm,
Me too, but I think he's coming from something approaching a nervous breakdown.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:36 am
@JLNobody,
...you are a walking joke clown ! (that´s the only answer that fits you properly)
igm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:05 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...you are a walking joke clown ! (that´s the only answer that fits you properly)

If you want to argue you'll need to practise. Here is some guidance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y&feature=autoplay&list=UL9ZlBUglE6Hc&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=2
Laughing
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:09 am
@igm,
...I don´t want to argue, it is a waste of time...I am replying to someone that wants to argue...
igm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:10 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...I don´t want to argue, it is a waste of time...I am replying to someone that wants to argue...

It's just a joke try the YouTube link. Smile (in my last post).