Vegetable Shortening vs Vegetable Suet

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:47 pm
I'm planning on making "Double Apple Pie" from Nigella Lawson's cookbook: "How to be a Domestic Goddess" this weekend, but the recipe calls for vegetable shortening (and gives a brandname of Trex as one acceptable brand).

However, when I went to the local safeway I couldn't find it. When I asked an employee where I could find vegetable shortening he asked me what it was. I thought that this was probably not a good sign. After explaining that it was a vegetable fat product that was used in baking and that it resembled butter he went off to ask someone and eventually came back and handed me a box of vegetable suet.

I am about 90% sure that vegetable suet is not in the least what I am looking for, and I did not in fact buy it.

If I was in my hometown of Toronto I know I'd just buy some crisco, but is vegetable shortening a product which I am going to have a hard time getting my hands on in London? And if so, are there any good substitutes?

Thanks

Toby
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,766 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 02:57 pm
Haven't heard of 'veg suet' to date, but there is a great deal of diversity in the naming of foodstuffs.

Suet refers to a saturated fat from beef, so we're talking about substituting one of the highly saturated vegetable fats. That brings to mind either:
-palm oil
-palm-kernal oil
-cophra (coconut oil)
-cottonseed
-possibly, ghee

I have used cophra myself with good results. Not sure why you need it for a pie, it's more of the 'Two Fat Ladies' sort of cookery. I think the luscious Nigella is just adapting a recipe for vegies (unless it actually goes IN the pie, I'm just assuming it's for the crust).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:11 pm
http://food.pagesurf.com/cgi-bin/search/smartsearch.cgi?keywords=Vegetable+Shortening
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 06:58 pm
Lard has the same consistancy but yeah, I'd use crisco too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:03 am
I'd go for Crisco.... but I take it they don't have that in London?

although possibly I'd use lard. I know it isn't vegetable, but I might actually be healthier than hydrogenated trans fatty stuff, and Crisco might be that. I have read some article saying that lard and butter aren't as bad as all the hydrogenated trans fats.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:13 am
Never use lard, unless you feel that your arteries aren't quite as hard and as blocked as you like! All the substitutes I have listed are not hydrogenated (like margarine) and are a better bet than straight dripping.

Just get your taste buds used to the flavours of vegetable oils, there's no real need for super-saturated fats in your diet anyway.

BTW: when I do make pastry I use butter as the shortening, no complaints yet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:23 am
cant beat good ole LARD. it makes the pie crust crustier, it makes fried foods taste great, its full of flavor. the heart thing is a concern , but since when are we afraid of our food?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:47 am
Well, I don't think one piece of pie with lard will put you over the bend, but I probably wouldn't use it since I have never had any in my house, being a longtime lard avoider myself.. Still, whatever medical article I read on this made no distinction between lard and butter, and farmerman is right about the great piecrusts...
0 Replies

Toby Stevenson

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 11:17 am
Well after checking out the local Sainsburys, Safeway, Somerfield and M&S food I can safely say that there is no vegetable shortening in my area of London.

I can order it from Sainsburys or Tesco online but I'm not about to pay 5 pounds delivery charghe for an 85 pence item.

From what I've seen online I can just substitute butter without too much harm being done to the pie crust.

Thanks for all the responses!

Toby
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:02 pm
Make sure the butter isn't salty and preferably light in colour. Otherwise, I know from experience, your crust will be yellow and salty. Not a great pie crust experience.
0 Replies

Toby Stevenson

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:32 pm
I used light coloured, unsalted butter and the pie crust was fine. Nice and light, fairly flaky.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:20 pm
Ok, then, good!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:29 am
You don't happen to have the lovely Nigella's email or mobile number?

http://www.toobossy.com/Images/nigella.gif

Trouble is I'm never that interested in consuming calories when I see her, just wasting them in a pointless, but satisfying manner.... :wink:
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:08 pm
"pointless"??????

Shocked Shocked :wink:
0 Replies