Rockhead

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:52 pm
@sozobe,
god knows I hate to be the voice of reason, but...

bad things happen when more than one person is on the trampoline at a time.

a stoic sozlet is cool...
sozobe

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:56 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

bad things happen when more than one person is on the trampoline at a time.

Yeah, it was stupid for sure. The boys and their moms (especially 200-lb all-conference Giant Guy) were falling over themselves apologizing, I keep saying that it's either nobody's fault or she's equally at fault, stupid to have done it at all and very likely someone would end up hurt, but that was her (stupid) choice to play and the boys shouldn't feel bad.
hawkeye10

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 08:19 pm
@sozobe,
As a consequence of your unwillingness to blindly blame the males in this matter you must now turn in your feminist membership card!

These mothers who are falling all over themselves to appologize for their boys know the drill....it is always the males fault, and until the males are old enough to do the proper apology the parents must do it. These moms will apologize for their boys at the drop of a hat, because this is what we demand of them.
DrewDad

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 08:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
<facepalm>

For f... heaven's sake, learn that there's a time and a place.
hawkeye10

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 08:52 pm
@DrewDad,
Pointing out how our cultural bias against men reverberates through our lives is always a good idea. We must acknowlege injustice before we can correct it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:39 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't think it was as much about male/ female really than about skill level and size. When a 200-pounder and a 100-pounder are playing football together without pads -- on a trampoline! -- it's super-likely someone would get hurt. (They were apologizing to the two guys who got hurt, too, one of whom was about sozlet's size -- not just to sozlet).

The two apologizers were the hostess (owner of the trampoline, mother of the kid whose idea this was) and the mom of the giant kid, who really didn't do anything wrong at all but she thought that he should have figured out that he was too big and strong for this stuff.

Another kid just kind of generally felt badly for her and was expressing that in the "sorry this happened to you" sort of way.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:25 am
@sozobe,
Sozobe wrote:
So, the kid's got a giant green shoulder-to-wrist cast. That she got playing tackle football with a bunch of football boys (who said approvingly that she was a "fierce player.") And she just calmly said "I think my arm is broken" with a bunch of witnesses -- and it was.

She's not entirely displeased.

Don't let this one watch Gangs of New York. She'll want a porcelain eye in no time.

You do have to teach her, though, that it's not the stoic wheel that gets the oil. She'll be a teenager soon. She'll have to learn how to whine and annoy people.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 4 Oct, 2012 12:18 pm
It just occurred to me that yesterday's presidential debate were the first one when Sozlet was old enough to make sense of it. Did you let her watch? If you did, what were her thoughts?
sozobe

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 10:58 am
@Thomas,
Oh hi, just saw this.

Yep, we watched the first hour or so. She was interested. I admit to being more talky than asky -- I was trying to do five things at once and didn't watch her for reactions that much. (Hard enough to get the captions and the expressions/ optics while also trying to get some work done.)

We talked some about it afterwards, though. She thought Obama did much better than I thought he did. She said he "made sense." She was very unimpressed with how Romney dealt with the moderator, and generally thought Romney was too aggressive. She didn't know enough about Romney's previous positions to catch the 180's, but was disgusted when I explained.
sozobe

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 11:04 am
@sozobe,
Minor slice of sozlet-ness, nothing too punchy:

She broke her arm and got a giant green cast, and there was a scrum of people who wanted to sign it. Then she got a short cast on Wednesday (woo-hoo! so much better) and again there was a scrum. It was less real estate though and the scrum wanted her to rank them -- best friend first, second best friend next, etc.

Her BFF Kay broke her leg a couple of years ago and sozlet was the first to sign it (the first non-family member to see her after the break, which was quite traumatic). At that point they made a deal that if sozlet ever had a cast, Kay would be the first to sign it. So that was the easy part, she signed it first.

But then everyone was clamoring for second, and sozlet just wouldn't have any of it. "You're all friends, I'm not going to rank you, just figure it out!"
Thomas

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 12:51 pm
@sozobe,
Smile I agree with Sozlet, as you know. Obama fell short of expectation by doing okay whereas expectations were astronomical; then the echo chamber of the commentariat amplified it into "Obama sucked" when he didn't. Maybe Sozlet had the advantage over you because she wasn't exposed to the hype, which left her free to just take both contestants at face value.

Any reaction on Big Bird? Or is she too old to care about Big Bird now?
sozobe

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 12:55 pm
@Thomas,
I didn't see a reaction when he said it (but I didn't look), and we didn't really talk about it after. She's enjoying the various internet memes about it though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 03:15 pm
@sozobe,
A very Solomon, that girl!
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 03:21 pm
@sozobe,
I missed that......gotta love that kid.

0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 03:22 pm
@sozobe,
Sozlet, as quoted by sozobe, wrote:
"You're all friends, I'm not going to rank you, just figure it out!"

Two words that can come in handy when "figure it out!" doesn't work: "alphabetical order!" She may not know that yet. Smile
DrewDad

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 03:29 pm
@Thomas,
I think they should fight it out, Hunger Games style.
Thomas

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 03:32 pm
@DrewDad,
You're an evil, evil man.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 03:56 pm
ARGH.

I'm currently furious at the kid, not sure if it's proportionate or not. I upgraded to Mountain Lion last weekend and there have been problems galore. Our Airport is ancient and it was suggested that might be part of the problem. We got a new one. Installed today. FINALLY worked really well. I had gotten quite behind this week on a bunch of things because of the abysmal connection and general slowness/ wonkiness (for example, I'd spend several minutes just trying to copy and paste an url before giving up and retyping it).

So getting through a bunch of stuff lickety-split. Two things left to do before going out in the evening and then I'd be DONE! Happy about that.

The only problem was that the iPod wasn't connected to the wireless network as it should be. It's more or less sozlet's purview even though it's a family iPod, and I told her she could mess around with that if she wanted to to see if she could fix it.

I told her to STAY OFF of the computer, though.

A while after I went food shopping. Came home and she was at the damn computer. She'd gotten a connection to the iPod -- but now there was no wireless connection on the computer. ARGH.

She had utility screens open and was trying to fix things. (And also evidently knows the password she's never been told -- this doesn't particularly surprise me.)

I fixed it, I thought, but no. Everything went pear-shaped, and unfixable (I can usually make progress on this sort of thing but it was utterly not responding).

So I wasted half an hour on that I don't have and still have to do those two extra things.

I just have the computer connected straight to the modem, now.

Hopefully E.G. can untangle things.

And now I have to get to those two things... I wrote this fast and furiously and am a little less mad now. But thought I'd get down one of those GRRRRRRRR moments.
Thomas

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:02 pm
@sozobe,
Sozobe wrote:
(And also evidently knows the password she's never been told -- this doesn't particularly surprise me.)

For that alone, she deserves amnesty. Smart kid! (I guess --- unless you picked a spaceballs-stupid password, which I can't really see you do.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:25 pm
@sozobe,
Strokes Soz cautiously......