Roberta

Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:58 am
@Roberta,
Maybe I should delete the OMG. She's got you for a mother. That creates a singular difference.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:13 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Roberta wrote:
Your daughter reminds me of me.

I have had this thought!

Heh heh heh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 11 Apr, 2012 08:13 am
Random sozletness:

I check her phone occasionally just to see what's up -- that was a condition of getting her a phone, and she's aware of it.

Yesterday I noticed there was a long exchange with someone she doesn't usually text with.

Cast of characters:

Sozlet: you know.

Katy: Very peppy, goofy, girly girl who is usually sweet but sometimes evil. She has come to sozlet for advice before, when dealing with some girl drama. She's a friend but not a close friend. Her motives are not always clear.

Mark: A friend of sozlet's.

Texts, in order (copied and pasted, no changes except for names -- sozlet gave permission for me to post):

Hey sozlet its katy do u have marks #
- I LOVE Buford soooo much Smile #44 (ed note: I've included her sig line to help figure out who's talking and also because the sig line is so her. Buford is an OSU b-ball player.)

---

Yes... Not awkwardly just yes.

---

Cool..... Can i have it???
- I LOVE Buford soooo much Smile #44

---

Tell me WHY you need it truthfully.

---

Bcuz i want to txt him.... can i plz have it??

---

I just asked him. He has not yet responded.

---

- I LOVE Buford soooo much Smile #44 (ed note: no text)

---

Dont ask him just give it to me... plz

---

Please?

---

I am getting his permission and that is final. I will try and persuade him tho.

---

Persuade is a funny word

---

Yeah.....

---

Y cant u just give it to me........ he wont care

---

What if he does?

---

Then ill delete it... maybe and he cn go cry about it

---

Katy. Really?

---

What??????????

---

I am not giving u his number until he says I can.... bye.

---

I'll text u when he writes back.

---

Ok

---

Just called him. He said he didn't care. <Very Happy Oops.

---

Haha can i have it???

---

Yes it is [number]

---

Thanks

My immediate reaction upon reading it (sozlet was right there): "You are SUCH a mom!!"

She laughed but she agreed. I thought the "Katy. Really?" text was especially funny. She thought the "and that's final" one was the most mom-like.

(When she called him, Mark was fine with giving the number to Katy but also told sozlet he appreciated that she wanted his permission first.)
DrewDad

Wed 11 Apr, 2012 09:05 am
@sozobe,
Sozlet obviously has a very good handle on boundaries.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Wed 11 Apr, 2012 09:11 am
I love the "Katy. Really?". What a personality your kid.
sozobe

Wed 11 Apr, 2012 09:36 am
@FreeDuck,
That one keeps cracking me up.

I liked the "not awkwardly" too.

DrewDad, yeah, she's very loyal and protective of her friends, and just generally will NOT be pushed around. Sure hope that sticks through high school... and college...
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 11 Apr, 2012 10:01 am
@sozobe,
Heh heh heh again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:39 pm
Texting again:

I had just sent something including the acronym "imo".

Sozlet: Ok. Imo?

Me: In my opinion.

S: Oh. Now YOU'RE teaching me txt acros.

M: I'm the original remember! TDDs FTW.

S: What?

M: Telecommunication Devices for the Deaf for the win. (Most of this text speak was invented by deaf people decades ago.)

S: Sweet. gtg now though.

Me: [restating plans]

S: dtb.

M: Ycmm.

M: (You can't make me. Smile OK I won't, bye.)

S: Dude. Don't Text Back. Dtb.

M: Dude, I know.

S: Then why did u txt back?!?! D T B

It was very tempting to continue this for a while but I decided not to torture her. Very Happy
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Wed 4 Jul, 2012 06:35 pm
An anomaly
is an animal that
looks different
when you play with it
beyond the normally.

Life expands that way.
ossobuco

Wed 4 Jul, 2012 06:48 pm
@CodeBorg,
CodeBorg!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Wed 4 Jul, 2012 10:13 pm
If you make 14 more posts, Ossobucco,
that'll be 80,000! !

I will have to read much, much more
than I have been, more than I could ever believe.

How many stories have been lived,
that our words hold onto?
ossobuco

Wed 4 Jul, 2012 10:17 pm
@CodeBorg,
A lot.

Much of mine can be skipped, but not all.
Which ones?
Only the shadow knows.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 25 Jul, 2012 09:18 am
I missed CodeBorg here! I said hi to him elsewhere though.

Started to put this on the "Avoiding Heteronormativity" thread but worried that the actual info would be swept away by re-debating what was already debated and re-explaining what I'd already explained, so will put this here instead:

One of sozlet's friends did in fact "come out" to her recently. Sozlet is the only person this friend has told, including parents. Sozlet handled it spectacularly well and I was really proud of her.

She wasn't shocked at all, not weirded out at all, mostly just touched that the friend trusted her enough to share this info. And did a great job of listening after the friend was incredibly relieved at how sozlet took "the biggest secret ever" and proceeded to vent at some length.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 04:16 pm
Saturday we went to a party at a friend's house. Many kids, almost all boys. Moms in the kitchen talking, dads in the living room watching football and drinking beer, kids running amok everywhere but mostly in the backyard.

Shortly before we were set to leave, all of a sudden a big throng of kids comes solemnly into the kitchen. There's blood, there's sobbing, and there's sozlet holding her arm and wincing.

She's wanted to play tackle football forever, and finally got her wish. Without pads. On a large trampoline. With a bunch of boys who actually play football and most of whom are much bigger and heavier than her.

So, on a single "play," the following happened: medium guy was thrown into giant guy, and MG's chin smashed into GG's head. Both guys were bleeding and crying. And sozlet says "yeah, I think I broke my arm."

Exclamation

I examined her, didn't see anything obvious. Pieced together a bit of what was going on. Meanwhile the other kids were being tended to by their respective moms. (They both are fine.) Sozlet maintained that her arm felt "wrong" and that we should get to urgent care. I asked how it compared to her finger, which had gotten twisted and smashed last year, bruised up badly, went to nurse who couldn't tell, went to our doctor who couldn't tell w/o x-rays which he didn't have, went to urgent care for x-rays, waited for several hours for a doc, and then we finally were told that it wasn't a break. Just bruised/ sprained.

Worse, she said calmly. Much worse.

So we trooped off to the ER (too late for urgent care), had an x-ray, and waited for several hours (midnight, 1 AM, 2 AM, 3 AM...) E.G. and I psyched ourselves into getting the "just a bruise/sprain" verdict -- we told ourselves that it would be worth it just to know for sure, that sozlet was worried enough that she probably wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway, etc.

Then the doc came in with the x-rays = "fracture of radius blah blah cast blah blah..." Wait, it's broken? "Yep."

So, the kid's got a giant green shoulder-to-wrist cast. That she got playing tackle football with a bunch of football boys (who said approvingly that she was a "fierce player.") And she just calmly said "I think my arm is broken" with a bunch of witnesses -- and it was.

She's not entirely displeased.

(Having occasional itch attacks under the cast though, not enjoying that. Nor the fact that she can't write -- it's her right hand -- and her soccer season is over. But overall handling it quite well.)
ossobuco

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 04:30 pm
@sozobe,
Good!

I'd hug her but of course we haven't met and besides, that would hurt.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 04:35 pm
@sozobe,
Yikes.

Midnight trips to the ER are no fun.
sozobe

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 04:41 pm
@DrewDad,
Yeah. The wait was not fun, but also there were some serious situations going on around us, and that was heartbreaking. (There were at least two really bad situations, I googled the hospital the next day to see if I could find anything and did -- a 16-year-old had been "car surfing" and the person driving hit the brakes, and the kid suffered serious head trauma. He had been helicoptered in around when we arrived, and they were still trying to figure out whether he'd be OK when we were there. Lots of family members had gathered. He was in "critical condition" when I found the article Sunday morning, when I refreshed it Sunday afternoon it said that he'd died. I was really thrown by that. Didn't talk to his family or anything but was was about 20 feet away from them for about four hours, was really hoping for the best.)
Roberta

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 05:40 pm
@sozobe,
The ooky thing about ERs is that they're filled with Es. Not among my favorite memories.

Glad that sozlet is managing well. She strikes me as someone who manages things well.

How are you?
ossobuco

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 05:43 pm
@Roberta,
Wait time here is said to be 36 hours.. I've read that twice, but don't personally know. UNM set, or somewhat set, to build another hospital for adults.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:50 pm
@Roberta,
I'm fine actually! I thought the whole thing was pretty funny. She was both a bit proud of herself and sheepish -- the doc asked what happened, she said she was "on the trampoline" and left out the tackle football and the Large Football-playing Dudes, I added that and the doc cracked up. "That'll do it," he said.

Although actually it seems that mostly she just fell wrong -- pretty common, no cause for alarm (like weak bones or whatever), just something that happens.

It's only day 2 of the cast and she might get whinier and more annoyed as things drag on -- we keep running into new limitations. But so far so good. Knock on wood.