ABUZZERS, YOUR Able2Know EXPERIENCE

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 06:38 am
I am interested in reading about your experiences with Able2Know...what are the pluses?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,457 • Replies: 72
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 06:50 am
I think it's an easier site to naviagate after you play with it a little bit. Things like being able to edit your own posts to correct typos are a nice touch that Abuzz should have done years ago. The "Private Messaging" feature is nice and quite useful.

It's certianly a lot more sane (IMO, that is what has brought and kept most of the users here so far..). The Forum layout makes sense and actually gets used (instead of posts just being spammed into every category.)

So far everyone has "played nice" and maintained a little self conrol in their postings but that may be because things are stiill new and people are a bit wary of A2K turning into another Abuzz battleground. Only time will tell.

At the moment I think a lot of users are just thankful for the reduction/elimination of imposters and the silliness that went with that. They just want a place where they can go and "visit" with friends without being attacked.

All of that said, both sites have advantages and disadvantages and are what each of us make of them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:16 am
Mapleleaf- Hi! Glad to see you here. I second whatever fishin' has said before. Also, I find that the layout, with the avatars, smileys, and the ability to write in color, and post pictures and cartoons, makes a big difference in your ability to get your emotional tone, as well as your thoughts across. It also makes the site far more interesting visually.

Here there are places for original art, photography, and writing. We DO have a number of budding Rembrandts and Margaret Mitchells on the site.
Also the chat room is a useful feature, and already people are arranging for times to discuss useful subjects,as well as just for fun chatting.

What I find here is none of the mean spiritedness, and aggressive obsessiveness that I found on Abuzz, which really turned me away from the site. We all can be silly and teasing, but it is done in a friendly manner, and everyone enjoys himself.

Well I am glad you are here. Just "jump in" and have fun!
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:42 am
This site is slick, quick and very well laid out.

The array of features are up to date with current online trends, and the graphic user interface is excellent.

Of course, now that I'm here, what else could you ask for? ;-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:56 am
Bib- Right! Foolish for me to have left out that most important point! Very Happy
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:13 am
Does take getting used to navigating - but once u get the hang of it...

And moderators !! Thank god !!! !!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:17 am
We have support from a devoted staff that answers our inquiries within 12 hours are less giving us the information we are asking about. We can edit our own posts and in one case I started an interaction that I wish I had not and all I had to do was ask and the whole thing was deleted. No worries about imposters here everyone is who they say the are and my favorite, no ratings.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:22 am
I appreciate the detailed thoughtful responses. That, in itself, creates a comfy feeling.
Bless
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:36 am
Hiya Mapleleaf,

It is indeed tres cool. Just want to put out there that it doesn't have to be either/ or, though -- a lot of us still check out Abuzz while lookin' around here, too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:46 am
Speed and civility. And pitchers. And editing. Verra nice.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:58 am
Hi Mapleleaf!! It is good to see you here--I'd been hoping you would show up. (I'm mmediane on abuzz).

I can only agree with what others have said, with a big emphasis on the civility to be found here. With administrators willing to put in the time required to monitor and check on complaints, the level and quality of discussion can't be compared to that found on abuzz. Subjects can be discussed and argued in detail without posters fearing a personal attack.

Welcome!
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:07 pm
Not very original I admit--but I echo all the previous posts. There is one thing I miss compared to Abuzz. When I log on to the other forum, my first stop is 'New Interactions', just to see what's been posted the day I check in. A2K has so many different categories, I really don't know where to begin--so I usually go to 'General', roam around a bit, and call it a day. If it were possible to get to the latest postings more quickly, I think I'd participate more often. Let's face it--I'm lazy and want things handed to me on a silver platter. Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:10 pm
A silver platter you shall have! Very Happy

At the top of pretty much every page is a link to "View topics with posts since your last visit". If you click that link it will bring up a complete list of every thread that has been created or posted in since your last visit.

Close enough?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:14 pm
Actually, Mustang, you can - sort of. Only, if you select this option, you get every post from the past 24 hours.

View topics with posts since your last visit (79)
View posts from the last 24 hoursView unanswered topics
View topics you have posted in
View topics that you have started
View your watched threads

ABUZZERS, YOUR Able2Know EXPERIENCE

On the opposite site of the screen you have "View topics you have posted in". Sometimes that works better.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:16 pm
OK Fishin' - here is a thing me li'l bunny brain has been wrestling with - when I check that, it often says summat like 346 new posts since your last visit - but when I go to the list, there are often only 46 or whatever - pray what is the reason for that?

(balances snake on end of nose while she waits.....)

Oh - and as to the question - what other people said....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:17 pm
Ya know what's amazing, in comparison to Abuzz? There's a thread steamrolling toward 18,000 posts. Takes two seconds to get to the latest ones.

dlow - I think that's, like, 400 new posts in 36 different categories, or whatever the numbers be.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:18 pm
Also, Mustang, if you click the Control Panel at the top menu, you will get this listing, kind of towards the bottom.

Topic :: Date - Time :: Last member to post
Below are the topics with the most recent posts on the forums. Clicking on the topic link will take you directly to the last post in the topic.

ABUZZERS, YOUR Able2Know EXPERIENCE :: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:14 pm :: roger
The Queen's Arms . . . :: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:13 pm :: Piffka
Which Film is the Funniest that You Have Ever Seen? :: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:11 pm :: patiodog
Top Ten Livable Countries :: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:11 pm :: Piffka
welcoming new members :: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:11 pm :: Walter Hinteler
Insults :: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:09 pm :: Peace and Love

337 new posts since last visit, but in only a couple of topics, Deb.

and my name ain't fishin'
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:18 pm
I like these features (which all were already mentioned) better than the 'simple' Abuzz.
(Although, I must admit, it took me some time to get used to them.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:29 pm
Nobody has mentioned a feature I made to see new interactions (not just old interactions with new posts):

http://www.able2know.com/allthetopics.php
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:55 pm
Oy, Vey!! Do I feel stupid. I've seen those notes in the upper left corner, but did I check--NO! Craven, I'm off to check your link now. I guess this is a case of 'when all else fails--read instructions.' Embarrassed
0 Replies