Do you consider yourself open-minded?

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:37 am
I find that people in general can really be set in their ways. I am not "exactly" certain why, but I am certain there are many things that factor into it. I am extremely disappointed with the direction the world is turning. It is topsy turvy, basically. We are all going in separate directions, acting like fools, everyone of us. Why? This is because we will not listen to one another, not who we wish not to listen to, atleast. Now, I know for a fact that I have a problem with this. Do you agree with me in saying that it is the right way to start your journey in improvement by actually admitting that you have a problem? That is what many say. I just don't know if this is really a problem, the way I see it, or if I am distorting the truth, facts and losing hope. I have to admit, I am losing hope and I am becoming bitter, two things I never thought I would ever have problems with. It is really sad that someone once so bright, happy, and optimistic, has become so dull, depressed, and in the negative. Please, if you want to share, be reasonable. Think before you type your reply. I find that many of us do not ponder enough about our words or actions and speak or act too swiftly. I think that we must find a way to compromise with eachother in this world. We have become too distant from the beings that we should have become in the first place and are freeing ourselves from all what we should possess-humility, peace of mind, true happiness, meaning, pure bliss in the fact that we are here together and alive. One can't just possess one of these, but all, and maybe I have missed some, in order to really live a fulfilling life. What do you think? I am willing to listen. I am willing to discuss. It's necessary that we find common ground in our perceptions. For I believe that we are all flawed yet beautiful in our own way. Any questions and/or comments? Show and tell away! Thank you.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:54 am
@The Peacemaker,
Hi there !
Generally speaking I agree with you...although I believe there is a flip side into it which makes it all better...what I mean is the way I see it we are going into a process of change very much similar in many ways with the fall of the Roman Empire, the fall of the old vertical order...individualism and the clash of cultures are a necessary consequence of Globalization as it is the frequency rhythm and speed of our modern communications web world, in sum a cacophony...mental imagery at hand I look at it as the collision of two Galaxy´s in which in a first moment you have chaos and disorder all over, yet thankfully after a awhile assimilation sinks in and eventually order is restored with a new set of rules, a new wider Galaxy emerging...that said the explanation to your disbelief is that unfortunately you just happen to live historically on one side of a long bell curve...better days will come !
wayne

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:59 am
I think that I strive to be open minded, as far as it goes. Life is a balancing act for us all.
At some point we must stand our ground, so complete open mindedness is out of the question. A wise use of tools such as tolerance and acceptance can help us develop a live and let live policy in our lives.

Life is a journey, we each choose our own direction.
It takes time to develop an open mind and you are correct that listening to others is an important part of the development process.
Direction is of primary importance, we all know a few of those people who become more closed minded and judgemental with each passing year.

Seek to understand, rather than be understood.
The Peacemaker

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:04 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I really like that! Very true. And I have thought about that as well. That is a very good grasp you have on reality as well as optimism. I thank you for your reply. Smile
0 Replies

The Peacemaker

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:07 am
@wayne,
Seek to understand rather than be understood.

I LOVE THAT! Thank you for this wonderful advice. I absolutely will do this. You seem to be a very wise human being just in saying this. And thank you for your reply. Smile
wayne

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:57 am
@The Peacemaker,
Haha, I don't know about wise, that was something I picked up along the way, I didn't invent it.
What I like about it, is that it points out the choice of direction available to each of us. It's the difference between our "self" seeking, and self seeking.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 11:30 am
@The Peacemaker,
Do you consider yourself open-minded? Yes.

But it's too easy a thing to say that but not actually follow through with in actions. Then again, I'm not sure exactly what arena you're talking about. I'm sure when you speak of open-mindedness you're not talking about spicy food or a what alternative music to listen.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 11:51 am
I BELIEVE that I am more open-minded than most people. But that's a belief that suggests my openness is limited. So long as we have beliefs we are relatively closed minded, but then it would not do to have no beliefs at all: that would be very dysfunctional. What I aim for is flexibility and an attitude toward life that is experimental (i.e., a willingness to test my assumptions and conclusions). Perhaps that's you mean by open-mindedness.

It's also important, I believe, to have compassion, to realize that just because people have different perspectives they are, nevertheless, experiencing life as subjects--like you-- not objects--like rocks.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:51 pm
@The Peacemaker,
I believe I'm open minded, and I refuse to see it any other way.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:50 pm
@The Peacemaker,
This may sound a little twee, but its true that nearly everyone, if not everyone, becomes depressed every now and then, and fall into the negative. We are changeable creatures, sometimes hopeful, sometimes bitterly depressed and hopeless. What I have found is that these feelings come and go seemingly as they please. I agree that people often do not reflect enough, and end up saying and doing things that end up causing themselves more problems than they already thought they had, and yes, that simple but quite profound pleasure of simply realizing that we are alive doesn't seem to enter many peoples minds.

What I see is people who fail to really think in an attempt to understand, and a consequence of that is that they create problems for themselves, and occasionally others.

As for the open-minded question, I guess if you understand "open-mindedness" as being the capacity to consider things, even those things that may threaten what you feel or believe, then yes I am open-minded.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:00 pm
@existential potential,
EP, I believe you.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 01:15 am
@The Peacemaker,
Reading your post, I had the feeling that you want to believe 'A' about human nature even though you see 'B', but you really, really want 'A'.

The reason I used just A and B is because there are many things that you want, and the letters can be used for each desire in a similar circumstance.

The world is turning on an insustainable axis of greed (and eventually population as well). It will stay that way for quite some time, but it eventually has to implode...but no one will have the will and ability to change it before it does.

In terms of losing hope - do you mean that you feel so powerless that your hope in your ability to change things is diminishing? Think then about your ability to change your life, and yours alone (or that of yours and your family)...what about your ability to influence that of your immediate friends? In other words, what is it that you can do in your immediate sphere of influence?

I have plenty of thoughts relating to the distance people experience in society (as a generalisation), and on the need for compromise, etc...but at the end of the day, when given the plethora of things that are spiraling out of control, I think it better to focus on what we can influence, and to go about making our immediate world a better place.
0 Replies