Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:37 pm
What dish did you Mom or Dad make that was very special to you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 18
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:45 pm
Borscht and schwinke zw kattufle

everything else I was sewrved would clog up your arteries like spackle on a dry day
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:08 pm
Dad- Shrimp Creole

Mom- Beef Stew
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:17 pm
Well FM, you're not gonna find that readymade in the grocery store!!!

....I was wondering what my kids will remember of my cooking? MC lasangna? Hungry Man dinners?

My mom used to make an awesome apfelstrudel and an amazing
spanish paella with chicken, fresh tomatoes, bacon and peppers!

Q......love seafood, once my dad caught and prepared (very simply) prawns on a beach holiday.....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:18 pm
oooohhh.. No no no.. Nothing. Nothng at all.

I saw my dad cook exactly ONE time in my entire life. He made spam sammiches and heated up a can of green peas.

We have a standing joke in the family about my mother's cooking too. The way she cooks meats you'd be best off shipping them out to someplace that makes saddles.

Dinner wasn't a pretty thing growing up. :p
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:21 pm
fishin..all I can say is that with 8 hungry kids lookin at me...I dont know if Id cook all that well either...just makes me nervous thinkin about it...they like something and BAM..you'll be cookin for them all the time...its just scary.
Wink
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:23 pm
lol Best meal of the day was always breakfast. It's hard to mess up cocco-puffs and milk. Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:27 pm
Hee hee! Yeah, I had non-cooking parents, too. Well, my dad cooked, but... Shocked There was a lot of er um experimental stuff going on, often way WAY WAY spicy.

My mom cooked just fine when she did, and baked quite well (yummy carrot cake, rhubarb crisp), just didn't do it very often at all.

The annoying thing about my dad is that all of that failed experimenting on us/ me (parents divorced when I was 13, 13-18 I was the sole guinea pig) actually had results, and NOW he's a good cook!! Like, really good. Ah well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:59 pm
No i cant complain about my folks cooking. My dad was a baker before going in the military and he wound up as a sargeant major in the quartermaster , so he had all the cooks and supplies. When he came home from Korea and joined a railroad, they started him out as a chef du rails . Trainmaster, He was the quartermaster of all the passenger lines , so he was always trying new recipes . I,, was a little teeny kid following him around the kitchen and wound up learning to like cooking from him , my mom was an ethnic cook, so you hadda develop a taste for this stuff. Lots of sour craem and herring and blinies and cinnamon stuffing in the blinies. she never really had a sense of recipes and didnt like me futzing around. my dad was always baking 20 pies at a time to see how theyd last on a passenger run , so hed always welcome help and I learned at maybe 6 years old (1957) , how to make those ridges on the crust of a pie with my thumb and two fingers of the other hand.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:08 pm
My stepfather told me a story of meeting his brother for the funeral of a family member. They stayed with their sister. After dinner at her house, my step dad's brother said, "Wow, that was awful." My stepfather said, "Yeah, just like Mom used to make."

My mother was a southern cook, so I grew up eating ham, blackeyed peas, cornbread, pecan pie, hush puppies, biscuits and gravy, etc. Even now, I loved fried foods and very rich desserts, more's the pity.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:25 am
Chicken soup.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:36 am
My father made pancakes every weekend. He'd sometimes put blue food coloring in them so they'd be green. This is fun when you're four, but if you're ten and having a sleepover, it's just weird.

My mother cooked a lot, kosher cooking. I was a semi-vegetarian from ages 13 - 28 (e. g. I ate eggs, fish and dairy products, but no beef or poultry), so there was often something different for me, which I sometimes had a hand in making. I ate a LOT of Morningstar products, 'cause they were easy to make.

We'd have dairy dinners about once or twice a week, usually salad but sometimes with something like vegetarian lasagna. I didn't participate in the main course of meat dinners after age 13, but before that I recall steak and the like. I don't know how often we had any particular meal. Mom also baked; her cheesecake is still the best I've ever had, and her chocolate chocolate chip cake (no icing, none needed) has gone to college with my brother, 3 out of 4 of my first cousins and a bunch of second cousins, and me.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:10 pm
Your dad was a professional FM!!!!....Diane I love
southern cooking!

When I was growing up, there was not so much competition for parent's cooking.....My kids prefer
MacDonalds, Subway, Wendy's to almost anything
I cook and then they want bland, bland, bland!!!

Jespah, my great-uncle made awesome blueberry
pancakes with................back bacon and maple syrup!!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:47 pm
Shepaints--I'm drooling!!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:48 pm
My mother did almost all the cooking in our house. Dad tried to fry eggs and bacon occasionally, but they looked awful and we wouldn't eat them. He did have one special after-school treat that was killer, though. He made milkshakes with vanilla ice cream, bananas and strawberry jam. Mmmm.

Mom was a good cook, but she didn't experiment much. We had the same things over & over, as I recall. I have a lot of her recipes. No Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter dinner is complete without her dishes. Mashed sweet potatos with miniature marshmallows on top (browned under broiler), pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream, cornbread dressing (2/3 cornbread, 1/3 white bread, very light on the sage), green beans cooked all day with bacon, deviled eggs, and homemade apple pie. We alternate between turkey and ham, but otherwise the menu doesn't vary. See? She taught us well. We stick with the winners.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:09 pm
My dad made cocktail meatballs that were out of this world. One of his secret ingredients, was crushed Sugar Frosted Flakes. Mom's special birthday dinner for us featured stuffed beef rolls in a wine sauce, and chocolate angel food cake for dessert.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:26 pm
My mother was Creole and we considered ourselves pretty lucky. She made a seafood gumbo worthy of Antoine's in New Orleans. Her shrimp etouffee would make Emeril weep. My favorite daddy dish was his breakfast. He'd make eggs, sunny side up, and bacon or sausages and grits surprise, just grits and cheese, but when we were kids, it was always a surprise. yum.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:06 pm
Ooh, yum indeed. I haven't had any good Cajun/Creole in a long time. (Madison, of all places, had an excellent restaurant, with photos of various Nawlins dignitaries who had made the pilgrimage and wrote their effusive praises to prove it. That was our wedding night meal. Mmmmmm. Forget what it was called, tho. :-?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:09 pm
Aw, geez!!! I had tried to remember when we trying to decide where to meet for the Madison gathering, looked it up, thought I figured out it had closed, and then just now it suddenly came to me -- New Orleans Take-Out. (The Nawlins part shook it loose.) It's still there!! Missed it!!!

(patiodog, if you're reading, and unless you have an aversion to Creole food, GO already...)

http://www.thedailypage.com/going-out/eats/news/managedit.php?intEatsNewsID=195

I think I'm going to have to go back to Madison just for that.
0 Replies