How the Doc saved BBB's knee and leg; X-ray photos

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 09:34 am
This photo shows the first surgery in 1980 that damaged my right knee so badly. I had to live with this for 32 years and lots of pain.

Pre-surgery x-ray

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lhIP0PA7xno/TkHQRyjONVI/AAAAAAAABvo/UXXSpmJKC5w/Pre%252520surgery%252520Knee%252520XRay.jpg

This photo shows the 2011 surgery that saved my right knee. My doctor's work was outstanding and I'm grateful for his willingness to operate on me. Thanks to my surgeon Daniel W. Junick, Presbyterian Hospital in Albuquerque, NM.

There was so much damage to my leg and bones discovered, that he had to create a new structure to save my knee as you can see in the X-ray.

Post-surgery x-ray

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gUTXikKeAis/TkHQSbisBDI/AAAAAAAABvs/Bottr4yGJ8k/Post%252520surgery%252520Knee%252520XRay.jpg

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,379 • Replies: 15
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 03:11 pm
Good that you found the right doctor.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 03:20 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Obviously, I'm not a doctor.

What was the stuff that filled the space between the two white parts in the first Xray, BBB.

Why was it more painful when it seems there wasn't contact between two "rigid" pieces?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 07:52 am
@JTT,
The dark spaces between the white areas were cement to hold the two devices together. This was not done properly from the beginning and the damage could not be corrected.

My doctor took me off the Coumadin (Warfarin) yesterday. I'm so glad to be rid of it as it requires constant attention by home nurses and pharmacists. Warfarin is used to prevent blood clots from forming or growing larger in your blood and blood vessels. Another thing I happy about is that I'm no longer denied eating anything produced by green leafy sources. I can now eat green leafy vegetables and any fruits grown on green leaf trees. I love fruits and vegetables and was unable to eat so many things my daughter Butrflynet planted in her wonderful garden.

My doctor told me I could start exercising on my stationary bike, slowly and carefully increasing it so it doesn't cause blood clots. A physical therapist comes to my home two times a week to work with me to strengthen my body focusing on my weak right leg muscles.

I'm trying to get off of the pain medications, but sometimes I still have to, especially the days the physical therapists works with me, or if I'm trying to do too much around the house. I'm so tired of being an invalid. I shouldn't gripe because my doctor saved my leg.

BBB

JTT

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 10:03 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'm glad that you got a good knee this time, BBB and I wish you a speedy recovery. You'll be back at Wimbledon by next year I'm sure.

If I may, another question. You said that the old knee was fused with cement. Is the new knee free to move with that pin in what appears to be a socket?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10:04 am
@JTT,
I have three pages of physician surgery talk that are difficult for non-physicians to understand. But I can provide some information for you.

The can tell in the X-rays the huge difference in size of the old device and the new knee device. The sections of the knee device were created on a table in the operating room after the dimensions, etc. were determined. Cement was required to hold top and bottom of the device in my knee. That's the best I can describe for you.

I had described to my surgeon before the surgery the conditions I felt in my knee two years before my surgery. The doctor was relying on the X-rays and didn't realize how bad my knee condition was. The two major top and bottom bones were crumbled and had to be removed and replaced with device blocks and cones to fill the space. My knee cap was crumbled and had to be removed and replaced with another block. I required four units of blood to replace the blood that was lost during the surgery.

My physician saved my leg but it still hurt like hell!!! But I'm a determined old woman and wanted a repaired new leg no matter how much pain it caused. I'd been suffering severe pain for five years so a little more pain was nothing to bitch about.

NOW THE PHYSICIAN TALK:

"Spinal anesthesia. 142 minutes at 300 mmhg tourniquet time."

"OPERATION PERFORMED: Right knee revision with a LCCK size E femoral component with a 16-mm straight stem, a 15-mm medial distal augment, a 10-mm lateral distal straight stem, a 5-mm posterior medial augment, and a size medium right femoral diaphyseal trabecular metal cone; the tibial component was a size 5 tibial component with medial and lateral 20-mm augments, with a straight size 12 stem and a size medium trabecular metal tibial cone with a 17-mm LCCK polyethylene liner; the patella was a 38-mm all poly patella."

"FINDINGS: She had severe varus/valgus laxity and global laxity in the knee. She had severe synovitis secondary to polyethylene wear. The polyethylene component was a polished tibial component with a poly that was not attached. She had severe osteolysis throughout the femur, the tibia, and patella. Postoperatively, she had full extension. She flexed to 120 degrees. She had 2-mm each of varus/valgus laxity. She did require a lateral retinacular release for proper tracking of the patella, and she had some slight patella baja."

Did you understand any of the physician talk?

BBB
JTT

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10:59 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Did you understand any of the physician talk?

Perfectly, but the vocabulary was a bit tough. Smile

Good luck with your new knee, BBB. When's your next triathalon?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:16 pm
@JTT,
Being able to safely use my stationary bicycle is already helping me a lot to strengthen my weak right leg. No sign of blood clots so far so I'm increasing the time I'm on the bike.

BBB
JTT

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 01:43 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Tour d'France is just over the horizon. Maybe Lance Armstrong could be your pacer, BBB.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:39 am
@JTT,
Using my crutches and accompanied by my sweet dog Madison, I walked for 1/4 of a mile. Maddy stays right by me the entire way. Dolly dog can't be trusted off a leash because she runs off to a busy two lane street with heavy traffic. I would have walked further but I have to protect my right shoulder because I have a torn rotator cuff and the crutch is hard on it. It was wonderful to be able to walk that much even if I have to use my crutches for safety.

BBB
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Hey BBB

That's fantastic news! So pleased you are out and about walking again Very Happy

What kind of crutches are you using?

You're a marvel! You've done so well and you're recovery is so good to read. (((((L)))) x
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:40 pm
@Izzie,
I used the doctor's crutches for a few days and didn't like them. I bought Canadian crutches in 1980 after my first knee leg surgery. The only thing I've had to spend on them is the rubber tips after using them for two years at that time. They are the best crutches for ease on my arms and they are wonderful for controling my body's movements and stability. Here is some photos and information.

http://www.qualitymedicalinc.com/forearm_crutches.htm?gclid=CLOmu_qj16oCFRxSgwodm13p9Q

BBB
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:57 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Ah right, I wasn't sure if you had the ones that go under your armpit (they do play havoc with shoulders).

Yep, mine are forearms too - but with the RA handle grips - not had to use them for a while tho Very Happy

I was wondering if using a walker in front of you would cause your shoulder less problems than using the crutches - using it simply for balance rather than support.

Anyhoo - I'm so pleased for you that you are recovering well. It's a huge achivement to be out and about town and walking around, and most importantly, in less pain than you've been in for many years! Good on that doc and well done you!

((BBB))

<big hug to Butrfly>
<scritches to the dawgs>

xx

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:33 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie, I use my crutches because it's safer when I'm walking outside for stability.

I'm not a very good invalid so I use my walker for getting around my home mostly to avoid falls. It has a basket on it for holding things that will fit inside it to move. It also has a foldable board attachment with two slots to hold two sizes of glasses/cups and a place to hold plates, etc.

You would be amazed how many things I can do with my walker. I do my laundry and pile the clothing on top of the walker and get it to my walk-in closet. Last week, I used my walker to move a lot of heavy things from a dining room. It took me four hours, but I was able to do it with my walker.

Butrflynet and I had all the safety installations done in my bathroom two years ago. I bought a house in 2002 when I moved to Albuquerque that was safe for a disabled person.

I have not figured out yet how to climb ladders or paint the house. I don't have to mow the lawn because I had artificial grass installed four years ago. I can go grocery shopping if the store has a scooter because I miss being able to shop. I'm trying to be smart by not attempting to drive my Volvo sedan yet so Butrflynet is my chauffeur.

And best of all, my leg is well enough that my sweet doggies Dolly and Madison can curl up on my lap and play with me. Dolly is too silly to go on walks without being on a leash. Madison walks freely by my side when I'm walking outside. I have not figured out how to teach Madison to come back home to the front door to alert Butrflynet that I can't make it home and need her help.

Butrflynet does almost all of the cooking because she likes to cook and bake. What more could I ask for?

BBB
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:36 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Butrflynet does almost all of the cooking because she likes to cook and bake. What more could I ask for?

A room and boarder. Embarrassed
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:38 pm
@JTT,
That's the doggie's job.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies