Driving past red light

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:17 pm
The traffic lights turned red and all the vehicles had stopped for some time. I did not drive through the red light soon after it turned red. I drove past the white line accidentally as I saw the light further ahead was green, not knowing that the one I was driving past was showing red signal.

Will my vehicle be snapped by the speed camera at the traffic lights for moving ahead when the traffic light is red? I hope not because I believe that the speed camera is activated only when the traffic light turns red and the vehicle beats the light.

Could someone let me know whether I will be booked? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:20 pm
@tanguatlay,
I believe your assumption is correct in that the motion sensor doesn't activate until halfway through a light.

If you don't receive a ticket by mail within a couple of weeks you can look up your state/province department of safety (or whatever it might be called if you don't live in the states) and run your VIN number to see if there are any tickets/warrants listed on it.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:26 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

I believe your assumption is correct in that the motion sensor doesn't activate until halfway through a light.

If you don't receive a ticket by mail within a couple of weeks you can look up your state/province department of safety (or whatever it might be called if you don't live in the states) and run your VIN number to see if there are any tickets/warrants listed on it.

Thanks, Questioner.

I believe you are right My vehicle wouldn't have been photographed by the speed camera. You were fast in responding. I want to add the following which I had extracted to show what I believe about the speed light snapping only when the vehicle passes the white line when it just turns red. I just hope my interpretation is really correct, as confirmed by you.

Red light cameras can help communities enforce traffic laws by automatically photographing vehicles whose drivers run red lights. A red light camera system is connected to the traffic signal and to sensors buried in the pavement at the crosswalk or stop line. The system continuously monitors the traffic signal, and the camera itself is triggered by any vehicle passing over the sensors above a pre-set minimum speed and a specified time after the signal has turned red. A second photograph is taken that typically shows the red light violator in the intersection. The camera records the date, time of day, and time elapsed since the beginning of the red signal and the speed of the vehicle. Electronic flash produces clear images of vehicles under all light and weather conditions. Tickets typically are sent by mail to owners of violating vehicles, based on review of photographic evidence.
Questioner

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:30 pm
@tanguatlay,
Not a problem. Something else to consider, I recently heard a report on NPR (trying to find the link) about how the majority of traffic cam tickets that are unpaid are not followed up on. I don't recall what the precise reason was, but the expert they had on mentioned that he was pushing to have the entire speed cam program closed down because there either wasn't enough evidence or manpower to actually enforce the tickets they send out.

At any rate, good luck. I hate those things.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 01:13 pm
@Questioner,
Thanks, Questioner. So for I have not received a ticket for running the red light, so I would readers of my post to know that the speed camera does not detect your vehicle going past a red light when the red light has been on for some time prior to the committing the offence.
0 Replies