Is "a" used properly here?

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 08:24 am

Context:

First, I am surprised how one professor, you, would “fail to see” the “merit” of another professor (Professor Root-Bernstein)’s accusation of a plagiarism that was already admitted by the plagiarizer (your former student)’s “apology”.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 631 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 08:32 am
@oristarA,
I'm not sure why you have all the phrases in quotations, but unless they are actual quote of the professor, I wouldn't use them. Here is what I would write, hope it conveys the message you want to send.

First, I am surprised a professor would fail to see the merit in Professor Root-Bernstein’s accusation of plagiarism, especially since the plagiarizer (your former student) has already admitted and issued an apology to the offense.
oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 08:53 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I'm not sure why you have all the phrases in quotations, but unless they are actual quote of the professor, I wouldn't use them. Here is what I would write, hope it conveys the message you want to send.

First, I am surprised a professor would fail to see the merit in Professor Root-Bernstein’s accusation of plagiarism, especially since the plagiarizer (your former student) has already admitted and issued an apology to the offense.

Thank you Ceili.

Your reply has implied explicitely that the usage "a" is not proper there?

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 09:00 am
yes
contrex

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 11:10 am
@Ceili,
Sometimes we use the same word for the act or practice, in writing, of committing (doing) something (usually bad) such as libel, blasphemy, plagiarism, misrepresentation, exaggeration, falsehood etc, and an instance of that thing. Words of this type can mean (without the article) the act or practice, or (with an article, pronoun or number) an example or instance of the thing.

So the word 'plagiarism' can refer to

1. The act or practice of the verbatim copying or imitation of the language, ideas, or thoughts of another author and representing them as one’s own original work.

2. The material so appropriated.

In his essay Mr Smith is guilty of plagiarism, libel, misrepresentation, exaggeration, falsehood and blasphemy.

Mr Smith's essay contains a plagiarism, several libels, many misrepresentations, numerous exaggerations, a falsehood and a blasphemy.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 11:41 am
@oristarA,
In this case 'a' is unnecessary, but it is not incorrect. Calling it 'a' plagiarism would mean just one example, as opposed to more than one.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:48 pm
@izzythepush,
But that is precisely what the writer is expressing, one instance of plagiarism instead of plagiarism in general which might lead a reader to think that there was more than one instance, or worse perhaps, a paper wholly plagiarized, so the article "a" is necessary.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 01:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
Normally though, when you accuse someone of plagiarism it's just the one instance.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:38 pm
Clearer.
Thank you all guys.
0 Replies