ROOMATE FROM HELL

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 02:08 am
I live in ga and and currently at the end of a roomate situation. I have resided in this apartment since the begining of the lease. I am not formally on the lease but have lived there and paid part of rent and utilities. I am moving out and the roomate feels that i owe her. I stil have personally belonging in the apartment that are pack to be removed. she is trying to prevent me from getting my property unless i sign something agreeing to what she feels that i owe. she had the locks changed as well so i cannot get into the propery and the manament will not let me in even though they know i have lived there during the whole term of the lease. i just want out, it has been a nightmare. what can i do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 04:41 am
@msnatalie,
I assume this roommate is asking for more than you are willing to pay/can afford/than your stuff is worth. Er, why is she asking for $$? For damage? For a partial's month's rent? Just to be a pain in the ass?

You may need to go the Small Claims Court route with this -- it probably what's called conversion. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_(law)

You can represent yourself in Small Claims, but be aware that there is a jurisdictional limit. So if your stuff is worth, say, $1 million, it'll be too high for Small Claims, but $1,000 is probably going to be fine and will fit with what Small Claims would be used for.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 05:28 am
Here, let's embed Jespah's link so as to make it easier for you:

Clickity-click!
jespah

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 05:47 am
@Setanta,
Thanks!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 06:34 am
If you owe her $ for rent, the judge will assess you that money plus court costs and possible loss of income for the apartment lease holder.

Situations like these usually stem from the renter trying to skip out without paying what is owed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 09:43 am
@msnatalie,
Did you pay everything that is owed? Do you have receipts for it - like a canceled check to prove it? Do you give 30 days notice (or whatever you agreed to)? If you did your part, then she has no reason to hold your stuff - not even sure if she could any way.
0 Replies