What are some good web forums to go to to discuss Greenlandic culture and language? Please help.

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 04:26 am
@saab,
I want to know what cat and dog breeds are in each country, I want to know about the languages, help with slang, info about their culture, info about gangs, dress, and so on. Enough stuff I can use for my comics. I am writing a multicultural comic book and I want to use all the info I can get to flesh my characters out.
I can go to a Danish forum and ask for help with stuff about Greenland.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 04:31 am
@saab,
I have a BUNCH of terms I want slang translations for - I am using them for my characters, and I would like to get as many slang terms and translations as I can. There are a bunch of foreign language reference books on slang I would like to get a hold of.

Greenland is NOT the only country I want info on.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 05:43 am
@JGoldman10,
can´t you understand what you are doing is really completely crazy.
If you think you can get information about a country over forums you kid yourself.
A lot of people don´t know everything about their own country.
Even a small country like Denmark has different ideas about different areas in their country.
In Switzerland they speak 4 different languages. Which one will you use?
It will take you years if not decades to really get to know enough for not making a fool of yourself.
Stay within USA and its 51 states.

You cannot go to a Danish forum and get information about Greenland.
Hardly any Danes in Denmark will speak the language, has ever been to Greenland or is interested in Greenland .
I know what I talk about as I have lived long enough in Denmark.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:37 pm
@saab,
NO - I do not want to limit myself to the US and I am NOT GOING TO LIMIT MYSELF TO STUFF ABOUT THE US. I am going to write about stuff in the US in other countries.

FORUMS and DISCUSSION BOARDS are an IDEAL and FAST way to get info about foreign countries. Whatever I don't find on my own I can ask about in forums and discussion boards, and I have experienced this.

I have been to some - either for individual countries or for groups of countries by continent.

A FAST WAY of getting all these research done in a short period is what I am anticipating.

I have been to language sites getting help with translations with as many slang terms as I can get, and other translations.

I am getting WHAT I NEED TO USE TO WRITE STORIES THAT TAKE PLACE IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES.

People who write stories about foreign countries don't spend years doing research for cartoons or comics - they get it done in a few months.

I WILL DECIDE WHAT LANGUAGES I WILL USE TO REPRESENT CERTAIN CULTURES AND COUNTRIES. I AM GOING TO USE SOME FOREIGN LANGUAGE BUT THE CHARACTERS WILL SPEAK ENGLISH FOR THE MOST PART.

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO DO MY RESEARCH - THIS IS NOT YOUR COMIC BOOK.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:41 pm
@saab,
I AM NOT LISTENING TO YOU. You are making my research seem more complicated then it has to be. People in foreign countries know slang and stuff about cats and dogs in their countries, and about gangs and other aspects of their culture. That is why CULTURE and DISCUSSION forums exist.

I am using slang terms as nicknames for my characters.

I can ask people for a list of terms I want slang translations with and ask if they can list as many as they can.

I can ask people about clothing and traditional dress and use of slang and language and describe or show people some artwork and ask them if what I am doing is offensive or not. that is NOT a big of a deal.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:43 pm
A fast way of getting all this research done is what I am anticipating, but there certain things I need to address and deal with first - I am not going to go into that, but these things HAVE to be dealt with.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:09 pm
Since there are 257 countries I am going to find as many discussion and culture forums and boards for them as I can and get as much SPECIFIC and GENERAL info that I want and need about them as I can.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:10 pm
People on a DANISH forum can probably tell me what GREENLANDIC forums to go to since Greenland is considered a territory of Denmark.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:51 am
@JGoldman10,
That's right you know more about Denmark than Saab. What would he know, he just lives there.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:57 am
@izzythepush,
I didn't say that. He is just ONE person. I am CERTAIN someone on a DANISH forum could direct me to forums about GREENLAND.

I am not just doing research on GREENLAND. There are OTHER COUNTRIES I WANT TO DO RESEARCH ON.
saab

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:26 am
@JGoldman10,
I just looked up Forums about Greenland.
One discusses if you say on or in Greenland.....Which one is correct?
Greenland: How many words for snow?
Iceland: How many of the inhabitants in other Scandinavian countries do understand Icelandic?
Norway.: How many national minorities does Norway have?
Sweden: How many national minoritiy languages does Sweden have?
How many words for snow and ice do they have in Northern Sweden?
Do they have the same expressions in southern Sweden?
Denmark. How many dialekts does Denmark have?

These questions and many many more can go on and on for every country around the world and you really think you can learn all this in a couple of months?
I as a Scandinavian, who knows three of the Scandinavian still learn something new all the time as a language is a living object. Plus the fact that we have dialects and expressions depending on where you live.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:31 am
@saab,
I can ask people from foreign countries WHICH DIALECTS are the most common and/or the most popular. There are DOZENS of dialects of Chinese, for example, and in Taiwan they speak Taiwanese Mandarin and Taiwanese.

CHAT ROOMS are also ideal places to meet people from foreign countires and ask them about their language and culture.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:31 am
@saab,
What Greenlandic forums did you go to?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:33 am
@izzythepush,
He probably thinks I am what we would call "hemmablind".
Can´t find an English word for it. "Home blind" which means you don´t see and don´t notice what is going on around you.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:37 am
@saab,
Like quite a few posters on A2K, he has an unshakable faith in his own opinion. This intellectual intransigence may explain why the American political system has become so polarised recently.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:41 am
@saab,
ForiegnersInDenmark.com is one of the BIGGEST Danish web forums on the web. I can go there asd ask if they KNOW of any Greenlandic discussion forums and boards - it WOULD NOT HURT TO ASK ON THERE.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:42 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I can ask people from foreign countries WHICH DIALECTS are the most common and/or the most popular. There are DOZENS of dialects of Chinese, for example, and in Taiwan they speak Taiwanese Mandarin and Taiwanese.

CHAT ROOMS are also ideal places to meet people from foreign countires and ask them about their language and culture.

It is MY COMIC and I can DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:42 am
@saab,
What does "hemmablind" mean?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:43 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

It is MY COMIC and I can DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.

Except write it.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:43 am
@izzythepush,
People with an unshakable faith in their own opinion luckily don´t give me an inferior complex even if they wish they could.