What are some good web forums to go to to discuss Greenlandic culture and language? Please help.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 09:35 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

There you go, JG, you are FINALLY, after ten years or so at this, beginning to get the idea. You can INVENT the stories and the villains and the crimes. You don't need to do this endless "RESEARCH". Use your IMAGINATION.

After all, these problems stand in the way of using "research":

The Vikings were people, not cats and dogs wearing hats with horns on them.
The Vikings in Greenland died out in the 1400s, leaving the Eskimo inhabitants of Greenland, who had been living there before them and continue to live there today--Eskimos are about half the inhabitants--google videos of Nuuk and look at the faces.
Descendants of the Vikings, the Danes, recolonized Greenland around 1750 and make up the other half or so of the population, but they are just like other Europeans, they wear blue jeans and parkas and they are basically very law abiding--they don't go around in long boats raiding other lands and setting fire to their villages.

So if you're going to fight Vikings, you're going to have to INVENT them, because reality just doesn't tell you anything usable. So get to work and THINK for a change.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 09:44 am
Thanks, izzy, not that anything we do is going to do any good--the lad is determined to find an ever-increasing number of ways to do nothing productive, at great length.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:37 am
@MontereyJack,
I think I'm supposed to be on ignore as well, but that doesn't stop him arguing with me. That's what he really wants to do anyway, you won't be ignored for long.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
NO you MISS THE POINT- I want to have VILLAINS and I am basing them on off of REAL CRIMINALS in the UNITED STATES and in OTHER COUNTRIES - I AM BASING THEM OFF OF REAL THINGS.

If there's an issue trying to find out about criminals in other countries then I will INVENT something. The heroes are streetfighters - I am trying to find REALISTIC types of villains they can fight for the most part.

STOP TRYING TO INSULT MY RESEARCH and DO NOT TRY TO THINK FOR ME.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 01:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

NO you MISS THE POINT-

And you'd know all about that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 02:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
Why am I wasting time trying to explain things to a TROLL? Drunk
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 05:04 pm
MOST countries have SOME KINDS OF CRIMINALS. Trying to find out about criminals in a country like GREENLAND for example should not be a problem.

saab

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 12:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
It clearly is for you.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:40 pm
@saab,
No- I am making it for KIDS. I am cleaning it up.

I am trying to make it INTERESTING. I want to have enough interesting stuff going on to have AT LEAST ONE entire series going.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

No- I am making it for KIDS. I am cleaning it up.

Don't you think it's highly irresponsible to glamourise gang culture and street-fighting, if your product is aimed at children?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 02:00 pm
@izzythepush,
They aren't going to use guns or knives or kill people. There's no bloodshed.

The Karate Kid movies were kids' movies - the hero fought a bunch of gangs in those.

The Catillac Cats was am '80s kids' cartoon about a gang of cats that lived in a junkyard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catillac_Cats
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 02:04 pm
@saab,
Did you ever look at the animated Superman and animated Batman cartoons from the '90s? This was kind of like the type of stuff they had going on in those shows - how is this different?

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 09:45 pm
Here's some info on Greenland's dog breeds:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greenlanddog.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_Dog
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 10:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you but what about CAT breeds?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 10:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Look at your other thread you started.

This is one of the problems with starting so many different threads on similar subjects. It is difficult to keep track of it all.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 02:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Discussion forums and cat breeds are two unrelated topics. Unless you are talking about cat forums.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 02:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
then there was the "are there any good looking asian women here besides Ceili?" thread...
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 02:55 pm
@Rockhead,
I didn't start a thread like that. She is on ignore.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 01:37 am
There are 257 countries in the world:

http://www.listofcountriesoftheworld.com/

What I need to do is find forums to discuss about each and every one of these countries and do research on and get as much info as I can about each one of these countries, and this includes language help (slang, linguistics, etc.) . I wish I had realized this sooner - all this time I thought there were about 180-something nations in the world.

I want to do this and focus on this to get my comics going.
saab

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 02:43 am
@JGoldman10,
You are wrong - if you think you can get to know countries the way you describe you will do it -
A language is not just a few words of slang. You have to know about the culture, the laws, the traditions, dress codes,what area there will be gangs etc.
Just see how you went about it regarding Greenland - you got it all wrong.
If you can get information - and serious ones - about one country in a short time good luck to you.

Remember I was reading a book years ago by an American. The book took place in Stockholm during the Nobel Fest. As the people in the book crossed the water between Copenhagen and Malmö in December and the Americans were watching the naked legs of the girls in their summerdresses I knew his research was really really bad.

You probably will make thousands of mistakes like that the way you go about it.