How do you stay awake when driving long distances? Any foods that help?

sharonpustejovsky

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 05:18 pm
@roger,
Oh, yes. Thank goodness for that horrible sound!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 05:18 pm
@sharonpustejovsky,
If you're going the chocolate route, make sure you're getting chocolate - not candy bars. The sugar in candy bars will have you zooming up and down way too fast.
0 Replies

sharonpustejovsky

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 05:20 pm
@ossobuco,
You sound like you would be fun to travel with - the prettier routes, the interesting cafes, the observations of the locals....

In this case, it will be a no-nonsense trip; however, it will be worth it once we get to our destination!
0 Replies

sharonpustejovsky

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I love going through San Francisco; and even better is Rte. 1, and beaches north of there, as well as the wine country, Muir Woods, etc. Would enjoy living in that area.
sharonpustejovsky

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 05:23 pm
@Green Witch,
I can't do those, unless they're sugar-free. I can't stand the sweetness; but if I need the energy I may consider going for a sf Red Bull.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 05:24 pm
@sharonpustejovsky,
ahhh on the theme of horrible sounds, I put the radio on music I can't stand - the annoyance factor helps keep me cranky and awake
0 Replies

patriciaB

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 02:09 am
@CalamityJane,
I stayed awake when I hear music from the radio and sing. i also drink coffee and eat less.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 08:53 am
@patriciaB,
Well, I guess coming from Europe, I'll never adapt to driving such long distances.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 09:35 am
@sharonpustejovsky,
Yeah... I love the Point Reyes area and all around the wine country. I stayed for a while with friends in Napa, and they showed me more of the region than I'd ever seen before. I love the area no matter the time of year.

Adds, Sharon and children must be well on their way by now.
0 Replies

sharonpustejovsky

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 10:51 pm
@sharonpustejovsky,
Thanks for the suggestions. I kept the car cooler than normal, played the radio a lot, as well as talking to my girls when they weren't playing video games or sleeping. I only drank water, but I did eat some chocolate along the way. I didn't overload myself at lunch - all went well!
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 11:12 pm
@sharonpustejovsky,
There she is ! Smile
I am glad everything worked out well, Sharon!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 10:39 am
@CalamityJane,
A few years ago, my cousin came from Ireland. She landed in Ottawa to see some relatives and friends. She gave my mom a surprise call and told her she was in Canada and asked if she could pick her up at the bus station in a few hours, as she was leaving Ottawa and making her way west. My mom laughed and said it would be a few days. Days!! yes, 3 1/2 to be exact.. When she arrived, she said she'd never seen so much land in her life. lol
When I was a wee bit younger, a liquor laws were wonky in this country, still are, another topic... we would go for beer runs to BC. To get a beer you couldn't buy here. That was the excuse, but the trips were a blast. Or go for coffee in another town or city..
I'm about to drive a very long trip in the next week or so. Off to Halifax and back in twoish weeks, driving mostly stateside.
Wish me luck!
djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 10:45 am
@Ceili,
funny about your cousin, tai chi had a pen pal in hong kong when she was a teen, he once told her that his sister and her husband were moving to canada and could she possibly help with some ideas on real estate in British Columbia, now we lived in Ontario and this was well before the internet, she sent him some information on just how big Canada was, it sometimes stuns folks who are from small countries

have a great trip
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 10:56 am
@Ceili,
Doesn't every Canajun have a story like that.

Ours involves family being picked up at Mirabel airport and asking if we were there yet (Kingston, Ontario) before we'd made it to Montreal. There were many mentions of Siberia from the passengers before we made it to Kingston.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 03:16 pm
@Ceili,
Drive careful, Ceili!

--
Yeah, I thought I was cured of all that when we drove across the U.S. from
NY to CA, but I am still amazed at how many miles people drive just to have
an afternoon outing.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 10:20 pm
@sharonpustejovsky,
Stop n rest along the way.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 05:38 am
@sharonpustejovsky,
I have noticed that the act of chewing prevents me from feeling sleepy.
I don 't like gum.
I keep such foods as potato chips handy.
As long as I have kept chewing, I have not felt sleepy
and I have remained wide awake.

David
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 07:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Get pretty fat that way - chewing chips for 12 hours....
sharonpustejovsky

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:57 pm
@Linkat,
I prefer to stick to gum for that very reason!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Get pretty fat that way - chewing chips for 12 hours....
Yea, but kidding aside: its WORTH it to remain alive n intact.

I don 't eat continuously.
I resume eating when threatened by the Sandman.

David