chest discomfort / burning / palpitations after eating

RoNiNQ8

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:00 am
I am 28 male and I am overweight ...I have chest discomfort, burning sensation, palpitations after a meal. It continues for 3 - 4 hours. Sometimes I can't sleep if I eat late. I'm not sure what it is... I have been to doctor's one of they did ECG when I told him about chest discomfort (left side) ECG was normal and he gave me a Muscadol which is pain killer for muscle. I had same problem after 2 days and had to go to doctor at 3 am. ECG was done and nothing found.
Next morning I went to a different clinic and they said it's better to do a CARDIAC marker test. it was also NORMAL.

I was recommended to a cardiologist and he checked my BP and looked at ECG reports and found nothing and said it could be "GAS" and prescribed RANID 150. after taking it burning sensation and palpitation goes away but pressure on chest remains.
I have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow morning for ECG under stress and ECHOCARDIOGRAM. hope so he rules out heart disease and finds the culprit..

anyone having the same problem or been through... please feel free to comment.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 6,850 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:09 am
I suggest you eat very small amounts several times a day.

Chew your food very thoroughly.

It could just be "dumping" into the stomach and GERD.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:26 am
@RoNiNQ8,
I am far from qualified as I have no medical degree - but it sounds like heartburn. I had this when I was pregnant (so additional weight causes it to be worse). My dad used to have it as well when he was heavier.

Good that you checking out your heart to make sure it is nothing more serious.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:38 pm
It does seem like Stomach acid related, either Reflux or gastritis or espphagitis. After cardiac workup you need a good strong antacid atleast twice a day and clinical response may take two weeks. After that if you are still uncomfortable you should have an upper endoscopy done.
Things you should do
1. Weight loss,
2. Have atleast two hours between dinner and bedtime, would be helpful to have more time
3. Limit Alcohol, Caffeine, Tobacco and Soda
Let us know
RoNiNQ8

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:10 am
@DrMom,
Hello DrMom,

Thank you very much for your comment. I did my ECG under stress and results are all good. Doctor ruled out heart conditions
And said it’s something related to digestion system. He prescribed me RANID 150mg twice daily (ranitidine tablets) for 1 month.

I feel things are under control I am not feeling all that what I felt before but still sometimes I get a strange feeling don’t know how to explain. It’s something like when we are worried or tensed / afraid…. I don’t know it’s weird… its happening for the first time so don’t know exactly what it is.

Any idea what’s causing it?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 07:06 am
besides looking at all the other factors, I am going to tell you to analyze the ingredients in your food.
I am willing to bet you eat a lot of processed foods. ( boxed foods)

What you describe is also a side effect of msg. Msg is prominent in majority of common boxed foods and the side effects are -

Quote:
Side Effects

While food additives aren't unusual (for instance, salt is an additive), it is rare to include a food additive that can actually cause severe health problems. Some of the side effects of consuming MSG include: burning sensations in the back, neck, chest; paralysis; numbness in the same areas; tingling or warmth in the face, arms or back; nausea; facial tightness; rapid heartbeat; chest pains, asthma attacks; drowsiness or cravings for other foods.

Reactions to MSG may happen at any time, from right after MSG is consumed to up to two days later.
Read more: Side Effects of Monosodium Glutamate | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5066340_side-effects-monosodium-glutamate.html#ixzz1TmXUQga6

I know ehow is not a medical site, but it is a common news site so I picked that to quote.
But really, take a look at WHAT you are eating. If your reaction is that immediate, it IS coming from the source of your food. Eliminating problem foods will go a long way to getting rid of that horrible feeling.

but do not just assume that is 100% the issue. It is only a piece of the pie, possibly a very large one at that. Stay with your doctors too.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 07:10 am
@RoNiNQ8,
RoNiNQ8 wrote:

I am 28 male and I am overweight ...I have chest discomfort, burning sensation, palpitations after a meal. It continues for 3 - 4 hours. Sometimes I can't sleep if I eat late. I'm not sure what it is... I have been to doctor's one of they did ECG when I told him about chest discomfort (left side) ECG was normal and he gave me a Muscadol which is pain killer for muscle. I had same problem after 2 days and had to go to doctor at 3 am. ECG was done and nothing found.
Next morning I went to a different clinic and they said it's better to do a CARDIAC marker test. it was also NORMAL.

I was recommended to a cardiologist and he checked my BP and looked at ECG reports and found nothing and said it could be "GAS" and prescribed RANID 150. after taking it burning sensation and palpitation goes away but pressure on chest remains.
I have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow morning for ECG under stress and ECHOCARDIOGRAM. hope so he rules out heart disease and finds the culprit..

anyone having the same problem or been through... please feel free to comment.

Thank you.

I am no medical expert but I have followed for quite a long time the symptoms related to dehydration and these are three markers that suggest that you are not consuming enough water. I don't mean liquids, I mean water, specifically.
0 Replies