Football (not soccer)

Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 04:42 am
@Region Philbis,
So now Jets are guaranteed a 3-ring circus, if tbhey didn't already have one. It's not like the Jets have an offense that is geared for a Wildcat or an offense that Tebow could easily plug into either. Poor Sanchez. Funny thing is that he had just signed a really decent multi-yr contract, too.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 05:30 am
@Ragman,

i don't see big rex taking a knee any time soon...
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:24 am
@Region Philbis,
My friend and I just had a sports discussion about why Tebow didn't go to Jax Jags. After all, Tebow's parents live there and he WANTs to go home, fercrisakes. Fans adore Tebow there. We were bewildered until we came up with this theory. Someone indicated Jax thought Tebow's price tag was too high to justify to bring him there (for their shrinking attendance). There's been some serious talk about owner's moving Jaguars out of Jax.

So, this theoretical package trade would solve that problem. We both think that Jets will trade him to Jax as soon as Jax Jags gets the right pieces which the Jets need.

Let's see what happens as the next few weeks months go by before game 1.
0 Replies

rozer20

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 05:56 am
its my all time favorite game.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 11:58 am

... the big tuna going to the big easy?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 12:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
after what he did to the Dolphins, one would hope not...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 11:35 am

"Kill the head and the body will die."
-- Saints' former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams

Quote:
Damning Gregg Williams Audio Emerges

On the day that members of the Saints' brass will have their appeals heard for their roles in New Orleans' bounty system, damning audio has been released of Gregg Williams, the man who orchestrated the program, instructing his players to injure San Francisco 49ers players in their wild-card playoff game last season.

Williams, the Saints' former defensive coordinator, did not appeal his indefinite suspension by the NFL. As first reported by Yahoo! Sports, documentary filmmaker Sean Pamphilon, who directed the ESPN 30 for 30 film "Run Ricky Run," has released an audio recording that he says is a speech Williams gave to Saints defensive players the night before the team lost to the 49ers in a playoff game in January.

The sample audio recording is a little less than four minutes long. The full speech was 12 minutes, according to Pamphilon.

Pamphilon was following the Saints last season while working on a documentary featuring former Saints special teams player Steve Gleason, who is currently battling Lou Gehrig's disease.

Williams can be heard in the audio recording instructing his defensive players to injure quarterback Alex Smith, running back Frank Gore, tight end Vernon Davis and receivers Michael Crabtree and Kyle Williams.

According to Pamphilon, Gregg Williams pointed to his chin while telling his players to hit Smith "right there" and says, "Remember me. I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that m----------- out."

Williams uses one of his favorite slogans in the speech -- "Kill the head and the body will die."

On Gore: "We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways."

On running back Kendall Hunter: "Little 32, we're going to knock the f--- out of him."

On Smith: "Every single one of you, before you get off the pile, affect the head. Early, affect the head. Continue, touch and hit the head."

On Kyle Williams: "We need to find out in the first two series of the game, that little wide receiver, No. 10, about his concussion. We need to f------ put a lick on him right now. He needs to decide. He needs to f------ decide."

On Crabtree: "We need to decide whether Crabtree wants to be a fake-ass prima donna, or he wants to be a tough guy. We need to find out. He becomes human when we f------ take out that outside ACL."

On Davis: "We need to decide how many times we can bull rush and and we can f------ put Vernon Davis' ankles over the pile."

When asked by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter for comment on Williams' speech to his players, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello would not comment other than to reiterate that the Saints had been warned, saying "note for background these graphs from our March 21 press release announcing the discipline for Saints management."
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:37 pm

happily retired, parcells says he wants no part of the saints' headcoaching vacancy...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 02:59 pm

more-on the saints...

Quote:
Sources: Saints' GM could eavesdrop

The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints
general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly
re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons.

Sources familiar with Saints game-day operations told "Outside the Lines" that Loomis, who faces an
eight-game suspension from the NFL for his role in the recent bounty scandal, had the ability to secretly
listen for most of the 2002 season, his first as general manager of the Saints, and all of the 2003 and 2004
seasons. The sources spoke with "Outside the Lines" under the condition of anonymity because of fear of
reprisals from members of the Saints organization.

Jim Letten, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Louisiana, acknowledged being told of the allegations
Friday. Sources said he has briefed the FBI in New Orleans about Loomis' alleged activity. If proven, the
allegations could be both a violation of NFL rules and potentially a federal crime, according to legal sources.
The federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986 prohibits any person from intercepting
communications from another person using an electronic or mechanical device.

"I can say that we were just made aware of that on Friday, at least of these allegations," Letten said.
"Anything beyond that I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to comment."

Greg Bensel, Saints vice president of communications, said Monday afternoon on behalf of the Saints and
Loomis: "This is 1,000 percent false. This is 1,000 percent inaccurate."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was unaware of the allegations.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 12:59 pm

goodell drops the ban-hammer on saints...

Quote:
Jonathan Vilma banned for year

The NFL suspended four players Wednesday for their roles in the New Orleans Saints' bounty system,
including linebacker Jonathan Vilma for the entire 2012 season.

In addition to Vilma, defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove (now with the Green Bay Packers) was suspended
eight games, defensive Will Smith four games and linebacker Scott Fujita (now with the Cleveland Browns)
three games.

All of the suspensions are without pay.

All four player suspensions will be appealed, according to an NFL source, who told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter,
"Get ready for a massive multiple legal battle over this on several fronts."
(espn)
Ragman

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
IMHO, Vilma deserved what he got. Being the Commish (and an economics major by degree), Goodell is trying to do what he is empowered to do to prevent more lawsuits. It seems that one way or another he was going to be dealing with a lawsuit.

Perhaps he decided to err on the side of caution and take on a lawsuit that he can win as opposed to several from QBs and players that sued because Vilma or some other assassin decided they wanted to put them out for a game or the season.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:38 pm
The following news article is quite shocking:

Junior Seau, Famed N.F.L. Linebacker, Dies at 43; Suicide Is Suspected

"Junior Seau was found dead in his Oceanside, California, home on May 2, 2012, of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest."

Seau is the second retired N.F.L player to commit suicide in the past few weeks. Ray Easterling, a safety for the Atlanta Falcons in the 1970s and a plaintiff in a high-profile lawsuit against the N.F.L. over its handling of concussion-related injuries, died last month of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The circumstances of Seau’s death raised comparisons to the former Chicago Bears star Dave Duerson. In February 2011, Duerson shot himself in the chest, saying in a note that he wanted his brain donated to the study of football head injuries.

Though remembered as a hard-hitting, inspirational linebacker, Seau did not have a documented history of concussions. He missed several games in his career with leg and chest injuries.

In October 2010, he sustained minor injuries when he drove his S.U.V. off a 30-foot bluff after being arrested on suspicion of domestic assault. The police said he fell asleep at the wheel.
"
Rockhead

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:55 pm
@Ragman,
sad...

RIP junior.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 02:36 pm

Gronk inks 6-year $54 million deal, becomes highest paid TE in NFL history...
Ragman

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 02:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
That makes some good sense. He's the most talented TE in history!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 05:37 am
Quote:
Dolphins cut WR Chad Johnson

The Dolphins terminated the six-time Pro Bowl receiver's contract about 24 hours after he was arrested
in a domestic battery case involving his wife.

Johnson was released from jail on $2,500 bond earlier Sunday after his wife accused him of head-butting
her during an argument in front of their home. Johnson was charged with simple domestic battery, a
misdemeanor.

The confrontation came barely a month after Johnson married Evelyn Lozada, who is on the reality TV show
"Basketball Wives." The 34-year-old Johnson had been battling for a spot on the team after a disappointing
season with the New England Patriots in 2011.
wtf?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 02:12 pm
Quote:
Sources: Bounty bans overturned

Suspensions for four players connected to the New Orleans Saints' bounty scandal have been overturned by
a three-man arbitration panel, sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The ruling should clear Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Scott Fujita and Anthony Hargrove to start the season.

"Victory is mine!!!! -stewie griffin," Vilma tweeted Friday afternoon.

The panel's decision affects the players only, not suspended coaches Gregg Williams, Sean Payton and Joe Vitt.

The NFL Players Association and the four players had claimed in consolidated lawsuits that Goodell abused his
authority and followed improper procedures in disciplining the players for a program that, according to NFL
investigators, paid improper cash bonuses for tackles that injured opponents. The lawsuits sought to have the
punishment handed down by Goodell thrown out. The arbitration ruling renders the lawsuits moot at this point.
(espn)
JPB

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 02:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
Mr. Green
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:57 am

RIP Mongo...

Quote:
NFL great Alex Karras dies

LOS ANGELES -- Alex Karras, who gained fame in the NFL as a fearsome defensive lineman and later as an
actor, has died. He was 77.

Craig Mitnick, Karras' attorney, said Karras died at home in Los Angeles on Wednesday, surrounded by family.

Karras had been suffering from dementia. He was among the more than 3,500 NFL players suing the league
regarding the treatment of head injuries.

Detroit drafted Karras, who grew up in Gary, Ind., 10th overall in 1958 out of Iowa and he was a four-time
All-Pro defensive tackle over 12 seasons with the franchise.

Karras may be even better known for his work as an actor. He portrayed an adoptive dad in the 1980s sitcom
"Webster," and punched a horse in the 1974 comedy classic "Blazing Saddles."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8485773/detroit-lions-nfl-defensive-great-alex-karras-dies-age-77
Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:10 am
@Region Philbis,
Sorry to read how he suffered in his last years. May he RIP.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."

I'm sad as I felt like he was a likeable guy. I used to watch him a lot on Webster. I still categorize his shenanigans as Mongo as giving me the biggest belly-laugh I've ever had at the movies - possibly coming close to the laughs I got from Young Frankenstein. That is saying a lot.
0 Replies