Football (not soccer)

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
Peyton Manning picks Broncos

Peyton Manning will become the next quarterback of the Denver Broncos, barring a snag during
intensified contract negotiations that have commenced under the instruction of the four-time
MVP to his agent Tom Condon, according to multiple sources.

Once the Manning deal becomes official, Denver will try to trade Tim Tebow, according to sources.

Manning instructed Condon to negotiate the finite details of a contract that would conclude with
him joining the Broncos after a frenzied but focused process that began when the Indianapolis Colts
released him March 7.

Manning called Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway on Monday morning to tell
him the news. Manning also called the San Francisco 49ers and Tennessee Titans to inform them
of his intent to now play for Denver.
(espn)
Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:09 pm
@Region Philbis,
Denver will try to trade Tim Tebow, according to sources.

if he goes to miami, I will be driving north to find something tall enough to jump from
Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:14 pm
@Rockhead,
My guess is Jax Jags, perhpas not Dlophins; however, he has a huge FL following in Miami from his college careertoo. Warning to Tampa Bay area too! Tebo alert.

I wonder who Niners will seelct for their QB? They're not that far from heading to a SB birth themsleves last season. And I wonder where Niners former-QB Smith will end up - or has that been decided? IMHO Smith's value as QB is far higher than Tebo! Tebo has too big of a circus act, for right now.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:20 pm
@Ragman,
Smith interviewed in Miami the other day.

better than Tebow, but he's no Matt Flynn or Robert Griffin.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:26 pm
@Rockhead,

... would you take timm-eh as a 2nd stringer to run the wildcat?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
personally?

NO.

not worth the distraction, and he's gonna want quarterback money for fullback skills.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 02:40 pm
@Rockhead,
I think '49ers would have surely been a SB contending team with Manning. However, Smith showed such improvement last season that I think in all 'fairness' they would try him for another season. alot cheaper than $19m/yr for Manning or for a Top 5 level QB, assuming one was still available. They'll be in a desperate situation if (and) when Smith signs elsewhere
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 02:48 pm
@Region Philbis,
YES! He's a 'Wildcatty-Sort-a-Guy' (Mavericky-Palin-esque); however, if you want your team to win at least a Div. Championship (or further), you need a REAL defense, too.

Fins Defense is good but stll needs to improve. Tebow as a QB STILL needs to be more accurate when he DOES throw in order to keep the pressure off the Defense and he needs to improve more to keep Fins offense on the field longer and give the D a rest.

I just heard some talking-sport-heads musing on sending him to Jets as 2nd string QB. Just what Jets need...Rex Ryan and Tebow together! Ryan would implode, explode or spantaneously combust due to the matchup made in hell. As a Pats fan, I welcome that possibility. LOL
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 10:54 am

more monopoly money for mr manning (5-years, $96 million)...
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 09:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yeah and them '49-ers just gave QB Alex Smith $8m per year for multi-yr contract. All's right again.

Scuttlebut has some talking about the possibility of Tebow being a backup to Brady. Mercy! Say it ain't so! More idle speculation from know-nothings?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 10:19 pm
@Ragman,
miami signed veteran loser quarterback david garrard today. oh joy...
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 05:40 am
@Rockhead,

not-so-happy campers...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2012-03/68927041.jpg
Quote:
More than two dozen frustrated fans gathered outside the Miami Dolphins' complex Tuesday to
protest the way the team is being run, and the spectacle moved beleaguered general manager
Jeff Ireland to act.

The notoriously media-shy Bill Parcells protege telephoned several reporters and sought to explain
a series of decisions and misadventures that have drawn national ridicule.

"I'm not naive to the fact of what's out there," he told The Associated Press as fans protested across
the street. The attempt at damage control was the latest surprising turn in a bizarre sequence of
events for Ireland and the Dolphins.

Among the fans who gathered at team headquarters at midday, several wore bags over their heads,
and others held signs that read "FIRELAND." They were mostly upset about a succession of setbacks
involving quarterbacks since free agency began a week ago.

Ireland insisted he's not disappointed with the way Miami's shopping has gone. He said his moves
shouldn't be judged until the offseason is over, and he asked fans for patience.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:07 am
Quote:
Jets acquire Tim Tebow for draft pick

Unusually quiet in recent weeks, the New York Jets shattered the calm Wednesday by completing a trade for
polarizing quarterback Tim Tebow, the team confirmed.

The Jets will send a fourth-round pick to the Denver Broncos, a source said.

Tebow, a former first-round pick, went on the trading block Monday when the Broncos secured free agent
Peyton Manning, who signed a five-year, $96 million contract.

Several teams expressed interest, including Tebow's hometown Jacksonville Jaguars, but the Jets -- perceived
as a sleeper at the outset -- pulled off the splashiest trade of the offseason.

Tebow will join a cast of backups behind incumbent Mark Sanchez, but his presence could ignite a quarterback
controversy. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie tweeted before the trade that "we don't need Tebow," expressing
his confidence in Sanchez and the current roster.

The timing of the trade is curious.

Two weeks ago, the Jets gave Sanchez a three-year, $40.5 million contract extension, professing their faith in
him even though he regressed in certain areas last season. They signed former Detroit Lion backup Drew Stanton
last week to be their No. 2 quarterback, handing him a $500,000 signing bonus. They also have former Alabama
star Greg McElroy.
(espn)
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:10 am

and...

Quote:
NFL hammers Saints for bounties

The NFL came down hard on the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday.

Saints coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams
was suspended indefinitely, general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended for eight regular-season games,
the team was fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13) as a result of a
bounty program conducted by the team during the 2009-11 seasons.

Details of an NFL investigation released at the beginning on March reported that the Saints' bounty program
gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for hits that knocked targeted opponents out of games. The NFL
said the amounts reached their height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The league said between 22 and 27 Saints defensive players were involved in the program.

Williams, now defensive coordinator of the Rams, has admitted to and apologized for running the program.

Payton and Loomis apologized and took the blame for violations that "happened under our watch," but not until
almost a week after the NFL pointed to them for failing to stop the program.

Goodell has frequently taken a hard line on any action that threatens player safety. He suspended Detroit's
Ndamukong Suh for two games for stomping on an opponent last season; banned Pittsburgh's James Harrison
for one game after a series of flagrant hits that culminated in a collision with Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy's
helmet; and has ramped up the amount of fines for what the league terms "egregious hits."
(espn)
Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Bounty, the quicker-picker-upper!

So this means that Sean Payton's $6.5M salary is lost to him!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:03 pm
@Region Philbis,
Oh ,yes! There's a match made in heaven. Too bad Jets don't have better receivers! That's also where they needed to improve. Like Ryan didn't toss Sanchez under the bus after a bad game. Makes you wonder how gently and diplomatically he'll handle Tebow! As a Pats fan, I love it.

So NYC has a little more drama. The media outlets are happy as pig in slop!
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:59 pm
@Ragman,

not a done deal yet -- a salary snag is holding up the transaction...
Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 06:56 pm
@Region Philbis,
the penalty against williams is now being called an indefinite ban...

hmmmm.

sounds kinda Pete Roseish to me...

and rightly so, I think.

kinda shitty pool if you ask me. bounties have no business in any sport...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:11 pm
@Region Philbis,
OMG, if the snag prevents this from happening, he might go to St. Louis instead, I heard.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 04:09 am
@Ragman,

done deal -- they just hadda dot all the T's and cross the eyes...