What should be my response to eviction notice!

hemanty

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:27 pm
Hi,

Three tenants including me, moved into a home (July 1st) after signing one year lease agreement. Before we signed agreement, we agreed on rent sharing. Myself and another tenant, Jeff paid our share of rent & deposit by cashier's check. The third tenant Issac paid his share by personal check which bounced.

During the move Jeff & Issac had a fight. Issac said he stopped the payment on check because Jeff is dominating the home and thinks that the rent sharing agreement is not fair.

On July 25th, property manager, Wanda, served us "pay rent in 3 days or quit" notice. Issac has no intention of paying his share of rent & deposit. We are sure to get a eviction notice in a day or two as per Wanda.

I paid my share of rent & deposit on time. In response to eviction notice, what form should I file in the court to present my side? What should I say in the form?

Thank you for your help!

- Hemant

wayne

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:02 pm
@hemanty,
I hope you've sent Issac packing, not gonna let him live there rent free are ya?
The other 2 of you can make up the difference and look for another roomie.
There's really not much else you can do here, your landlord has no part in roommate squabbles. The rent and deposit add up to such and such dollars, cost to live there, regardless of the roommate deal.
JPB

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:07 pm
@hemanty,
Whose name is on the lease? If you are all on a single lease which describes only the total rent then you're each responsible for the total rent. If the lease is a three way lease which specifies that each of you is responsible for 1/3 the rent then Issac needs to get someone to take over his part of the lease.

I recently co-signed a lease for my daughter to cover half her rent. Unfortunately, if the roommate bails then I'm on the hook for the entire thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:23 pm
@wayne,
I think that's what we decided when this came up in Business Law.
wayne

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:31 pm
@roger,
Sometimes landlords will work with you, I once transferred my lease to a smaller apartment after a roommate didn't work out.
0 Replies