Dan Peek, founding member of America dead at 60

Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 11:03 am
Dan Peek who was part of that strange music group America has died, he was 60.

America, gave us such classics as Tin Man, Sister Golden Hair and Ventura Highway as well as Horse With No Name and Lonely People.

I have a back and forth like/dislike of the music America put out. It's nice to hear occasionally, just not every minute of every day. I have a lone 45 record of theirs, no albums or CDs. That said, to the best of my recollection I never shut the radio or changed stations when they were on. I am glad the 3 guys got together and for a time entertained us.

www.variety.com/article/VR1118040442 (if link isn't working, google.com it.)

Quote:

Dan Peek, a founding member of the chart-topping '70s soft-rock act America, died of unknown causes July 24. He was 60.
A post on Peek's official Web site acknowledged his passing, but offered no details.

Born in Panama City, FL, Peek co-founded America in 1970 with Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell; the three musicians met at the U.S. Air Force base in West Ruislip, London, where their fathers were all stationed.

The trio favored the close-harmony vocal style that had launched Crosby, Stills & Nash as the top pop act of the day. Signed to Warner Bros. in the U.K., the act's debut LP went nowhere until a new track, "A Horse With No Name" became a No. 1 international hit in 1972. America's self-titled album also reached the apex of the chart and was quickly certified platinum in the U.S. In 1973, the group received the Grammy Award as best new artist.

Peek was a member of America through 1977, appearing on the group's first seven studio albums...

Burned out after years of drug use, Peek left America after the release of "Harbor" in early 1977 and turned to Christianity. In 1979 he recorded the single "All Things Are Possible" for Pat Boone's Lamb & Lion Records; it topped the contemporary Christian chart and rose to No. 78 on the pop chart.

Peek's contemporary Christian recordings -- which included a 1986 rewrite of "Lonely People" -- remained popular through the late '80s. Though he never reunited with America, which continued as a duo after his exit, Gerry Beckley contributed background vocals to Peek's 1984 single "Doer of the Word." He released his last album, "All American Boy," digitally in 2007.

Peek published an autobiography, "An American Band," in 2004, and "Our Day in the Sun," a collaboration with wife Catherine, in 2011.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,280 • Replies: 2

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 11:24 am
@Sturgis,
Wow! Thanks for the memory, Sturgis. I love this one by America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2Ch6WBeQU&feature=related

Love The Horse With No Name as well. That may, however, been a reference to drugs, but not certain.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 11:32 am
@Letty,
It's nice to hear someone play the guitar so well.
0 Replies