Correct choice of words

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:39 am
We were/are born as human beings; we have to design our lives so that we can enjoy our lives. If you/we find difficulty in smiling that means you/we are not enjoying your life.

1. I believe in sentence 1 'were' is correct. Am I?

2. Is 'design' the correct word to use?

3. Is it OK to repeat 'our lives'?

3, Is it OK for me to switch to 'you' in the last two choices? I think it is fine since I want to emphasise that you are the person I am addressing to.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 697 • Replies: 2
No top replies

igm

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 06:22 am
@Yoong Liat,
Yoong Liat wrote:

We were/are born as human beings; we have to design our lives so that we can enjoy our lives. If you/we find difficulty in smiling that means you/we are not enjoying your life.

3, Is it OK for me to switch to 'you' in the last two choices? I think it is fine since I want to emphasise that you are the person I am addressing to.

Many thanks.

I would change it to read:

Having been born human, preplanning can help us to better enjoy life. If you rarely smile, it could be a sign that you are not enjoying life.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 06:52 am
@Yoong Liat,
Yoong Liat wrote:

4. Is it OK for me to switch to 'you' in the last two choices? I think it is fine since I want to emphasise that you are the person I am addressing to.

1.I believe in sentence 1 'were' is correct. Am I? Either would be acceptable.
2.Is 'design' the correct word to use? I would use ‘plan’ but design is OK.
3.Is it OK to repeat 'our lives'? It is acceptable.
4.Is it OK for me to switch to 'you' in the last two choices? I think it is fine since I want to emphasise that you are the person I am addressing to. It is acceptable but it would be better if you weren’t so emphatic in your conclusion i.e. say it ‘may mean’ or ‘could mean’ the person is not enjoying life.
0 Replies