Algor: Earth's interior "millions of degrees"...

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 09:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag2AWst3Qv4&NR=1

Surface of the sun for comparison is around 10,000F...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,325 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 09:32 am
@gungasnake,
I'm sure he said that before he invented the internet, and so wasn't able to Google the answer. Pesky books and all their tables of contents.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 09:59 am
@Questioner,
The dufe was preparing to do gigantic damage to the world's economies over a bunch of bullshit which he called 'science' and was preparing to become a billionaire in so doing, having business interests which figured to profit tremendously from new climate laws.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:15 am
@gungasnake,
What is 7,000 degrees Celsius ?

I don 't do metric.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:57 pm
@Questioner,
Actually, it wasn't the internet he invented. To his everlasting regret, he really invented the Electoral College.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:51 pm
@roger,
but he did not graduate
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
He had a football scholarship to the electoral college
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
He did not join the Gunnery Team.
That cost him.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You are right.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
At least Al Gore didn't spend his Viet Nam years protecting Texas from Olahoma.

http://clinton1.nara.gov/White_House/EOP/OVP/images/army.gif

Rap
gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:16 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
At least Al Gore didn't spend his Viet Nam years protecting Texas from Olahoma.At least Al Gore didn't spend his Viet Nam years protecting Texas from Olahoma.

I could make a better case for protecting Texas from Oklahoma than I could for the Vietnam war, which was an archetypal demoKKKrat war which even JFK wouldn't have gotten involved in. LBJ started it and then congressional dems prevented us from prosecuting it in anything resembling a rational manner.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:22 pm
@gungasnake,
SO how long id it take repuglican presidents to end the Namish conflict?

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:49 pm
@gungasnake,
Actually Eisenhower sent the first American Troops to Viet Nam after the French pulled out of Indochina in 54 after the loss at Dien Bien Phu. Granted the war was escalated under Johnson, with the help of the GOP under the fallacious domino theory popularized by rabid wingnut anticommunists.

However, I'm not a fan of Johnson's Viet Nam policy, but then I also remember Nixon's 1968 campaign promise on getting the US out of the war. I also remember Nixon escalation of the war into Laos and Cambodia until finally reaching an accord to Vietamize the war and releasing most of the POWs.

I also remember Viet Nam as having bipartisan support, consequently both political parties share responsibility.

As for Presidents from Texas and useless wars I only have to say--Never Forget.

Rap
gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 09:38 pm
@raprap,
Ike sent advisers to nam and you might have noticed that the words 'advisor' and 'advice' are related. The advisors came back with good advice, i.e. we don't want any part of this bullshit and Ike explained this to JFK right up there on the DIAS when JFK was being sworn in and in a perfect world that should have been enough, the whole thing would never have happened.

My brother spent a year and a half or so in Nam and he tells me the first thing he heard there from the lieutenant doing the initial briefing was something like

Quote:

Gentlemen, despite anything you might have heard, there is not a single thing in this ******* place worth dying or getting severely injured or maimed over, the ONLY thing you are trying to achieve here is to return home in one piece a year and a half or so hence.

I mean, do you have any sort of a mental picture of anybody saying that or anything like that to the troops on D-Day?

Likewise if you have some overwhelming urge to rag on George W. Bush, you might want to at least consider making it relate to something other than what he might or might not have been doing while Nam was going on, that just sounds stupid.

raprap

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:06 pm
@gungasnake,
You're the one bringing Georgie Boy into the discussion. It's not a question as to what he was doing while many good men were dying 'in country'--he was sometimes flying A-4's over the southwest, drinking and flying, flying and drinking and avoiding being sent to a war zone.

Perhaps if Georgie Boy and his puppet master had actually seen a little real combat, he wouldn't have been so quick to send men into harms way in another useless war.

As for Viet Nam I've heard that speech before, but I seem to remember this quip from a WWII warrior.

G Patton wrote:
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Rap
gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:20 pm
@raprap,
Nobody can fly a jet fighter plane while drunk and live.
raprap

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:50 pm
@gungasnake,
two items

Chasing George W. Bush and the F-102

Paul Burka wrote:
"Well, am I running?" George W. Bush demanded to know.

I happened to be sitting in my Suburban near the south door of the state capitol, discharging a passenger, just as the governor's silver-gray Lincoln Continental was doing the same. It was early February, well before he would announce the formation of a presidential exploratory committee, and a smidgen of suspense still lingered. I had waved at Bush as he went past, and he had swerved over to deliver the opening gambit in one of his favorite games: conversational one-upmanship. Having played it before, I knew I didn't have a chance.

"Sure," I said. "You'd be the wuss of all time if you didn't."

"But what about the rumors?" he shot back. Then, to my utter stupefaction, he proceeded to tick off everything the national press was investigating about his past: five or six of the most salacious things that could be said about anyone—including, in his own words, "I bought cocaine at my dad's inauguration"—plus intimate gossip about his family.

As he well knew, I had already heard all of it through the media grapevine. "You missed one," I said. "You crashed a jet while you were in the National Guard because you were drunk."

He spread his hands. "That's easy," he said. "Where's the plane?" Game over. He spun around and headed off.

Word for Word/Wild Blue Yonder; Drinking and Flying: Nothing New Under the Sun

Quote:
World War II produced a generation of hard-nosed pilots who soon dominated the fledgling commercial airline industry and also led the peacetime military efforts to fly higher and faster in experimental aircraft. After the war, many top test pilots, some of whom would later fly into space, were stationed at Wright Field, an isolated base at Muroc in the Mojave desert of California. Men like Chuck Yeager assaulted the sound barrier in the skies by day, and at sundown gathered at Pancho's Fly Inn, a ramshackle saloon.

Yeager didn't go to Pancho's and knock back a few because two days later the big test was coming up. Nor did he knock back a few because it was the weekend. No, he knocked back a few because night had come and he was a pilot at Muroc. In keeping with the military tradition of Flying and Drinking, that was what you did.

-- ''The Right Stuff,'' by Tom Wolfe (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1979)

Rap
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:06 am
@raprap,
He also engineered the destruction of the World Trade Center buildings. You forgot that one.
raprap

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 02:41 am
@roger,
Naw I didn't! Gawd I luv using wingnut logic with wingnuts

Rap
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:04 am
@raprap,
Like I said, nobody could be drunk and fly a jet fighter and survive.

Don't take my word for it, try it yourself...

Or you could even get drunk and then try to keep the wings straight on a simple toy model of a jet fighter:

http://rcflightsim.com/

I mean, a jet fighter isn't like a high-wing trainer which keeps itself upright if you just take your hands off the stick, you'd never win a dog fight in something like that.
0 Replies