Are atheists being more illogical than agnostics?

Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Ah yes, the Frank the Pizza default position, snide insults. You'd have little to say without them.
Thomas

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The Easter Bunny is defined in the dictionary as a fantasy character.

If so, that's heathen-o-phobic Christian propaganda on the dictionary's part. Its progenitors are abusing their authority as lexicographers. Dictionaries are in the business of documenting what words mean to people, not of determining whether the entities defined by the words exist or not. If a videographer, operating under laboratory conditions, demonstrated the existence of a rabbit delivering eggs on Easter, people would say: "The Easter bunny is real. Who would have thought?" Nobody would say: "This is not the Easter bunny, because this is for real and the dictionary defines that the Easter bunny is not."
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Ah yes, the Frank the Pizza default position, snide insults. You'd have little to say without them.

And I would rather take lessons from you on staying slim...than take advise about how to avoid snide insults. Wink
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:28 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
The Easter Bunny is defined in the dictionary as a fantasy character.

If so, that's heathen-o-phobic Christian propaganda on the dictionary's part. Its progenitors are abusing their authority as lexicographers. Dictionaries are in the business of documenting what words mean to people, not of determining whether the entities defined by the words exist or not. If a videographer, operating under laboratory conditions, demonstrated the existence of a rabbit delivering eggs on Easter, people would say: "The Easter bunny is real. Who would have thought?" Nobody would say: "This is not the Easter bunny, because this is for real and the dictionary defines that the Easter bunny is not."

Whatever!

I am interested in exploring various thoughts about the true nature of the REALITY of existence. I leave investigation into things like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus to atheists. They seem obsessed with those kinds of things.
Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I wasn't advising you on anything. You need to calm down and learn to control that temper of yours. It just leads you into more snide excess.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I wasn't advising you on anything. You need to calm down and learn to control that temper of yours. It just leads you into more snide excess.

Gotta be brutally honest with ya, Setanta....you really do not have the knack for these kinds of exchanges.

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/humour-blague/clown-jonglerie/vil2_joker2.gif

I give you credit for trying...but you always come off looking like George Dumbya in that classroom down in Florida!

It really doesn't work.

But put some more effort into it...and who knows where it will lead.

(Oh, my aching sides!)

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/humour-blague/clown-jonglerie/vil2-joke.gif
farmerman

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I leave investigation into things like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus to atheists. They seem obsessed with those kinds of things.

So your qualifiers about reality are that only if its living by YOUR definition? Sounds a bit lonely up there . I believe that You dont really engage in discussions , you are engaged in lectures to the easily convinced, then you start flaming at those who aren't easily ""discipled".

Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
I leave investigation into things like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus to atheists. They seem obsessed with those kinds of things.

So your qualifiers about reality are that only if its living by YOUR definition? Sounds a bit lonely up there .

Not at all, FM. Never feel the tiniest bit of loneliness. But I've got a ton of friends, so loneliness is kinda foreign to me.

Quote:

I believe that You dont really engage in discussions , you are engaged in lectures to the easily convinced, then you start flaming at those who aren't easily ""discipled".

"I guess I ought take lessons from you...since you are so reasoned and courteous in your posts, FM," he said sarcastically.

I am interested in discussing notions about the true nature of the REALITY of existence. Have been for a very long time.

One of the notions posited is that there are gods involved.

I do not know if gods are involved or not.

Do you?

I notice that theists claim that it seems much more likely that there is a GOD (are gods)...than the likelihood that there are no gods.

The atheists I know feel the other way...that it seems much more likely that there are no gods than the likelihood that there is one.

I think both camps are full of soup.

I cannot see any way to determine the likelihood of either position...so I do not make a guess either way...and I am thinking they are playing to their prejudices.

What about you, FM?

0 Replies

JimmyJ

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Interesting. So...do you know for sure there are no gods?

This is where you fail.

Do you know for sure there is no easter bunny?

Quote:
There is a fine retort to it...which I have given many times.

Dismissing it isn't a retort.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:50 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:

Quote:
Interesting. So...do you know for sure there are no gods?

This is where you fail.

Do you know for sure there is no easter bunny?

The real question is: Do you?

And while you are at it...do you know for sure there are no gods?

Quote:

Quote:
There is a fine retort to it...which I have given many times.

Dismissing it isn't a retort.

Actually, sometimes it is!
JimmyJ

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Now now, Frank. That's not how this works. You used that question as a way of "belittling" my comparison between god and the easter bunny.

Do you admit that you don't know for sure there is no easter bunny, and thus the comparison is perfectly valid?

Quote:

If you're a n00b, yes.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 03:08 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:

Quote:

Now now, Frank. That's not how this works. You used that question as a way of "belittling" my comparison between god and the easter bunny.

Do you admit that you don't know for sure there is no easter bunny, and thus the comparison is perfectly valid?

Quote:

If you're a n00b, yes.

I am not interested in Easter Bunnies. If you are...go for it.

I am interested in the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

One of the possible elements of that...is the existence of a god.

If you want to discuss that...fine. If you want to discuss the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus...choose a fellow atheist. They get off on that.

If you are just here trying to be annoying...go try with someone else. It ain't gonna work with me.
Olivier5

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 03:21 pm
@carnaticmystery,
Quote:
my definition of knowledge is that it must be provable.

Easy: actual frogs don't write posts on the internet, and therefore you're not a frog. I can assure you of that... And I am certain you know it too; you're just playing fool.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Poor childish, petty Frank. Getting the last word is so important to you. You lose.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:12 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Poor childish, petty Frank. Getting the last word is so important to you. You lose.

I doubt that! And you asserting that someone else is childish and petty...is like you asserting that they are morbidly obese and ugly. Wink

You've made my day, Jabba.

Wanna keep goin'?
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:12 pm
Ah-hahahahahahaha . . . see what i mean?
Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:20 pm
Thomas wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
The Easter Bunny is a fantasy character depicted as a rabbit bringing Easter eggs.
You mean, a fantasy character just like Jehova? The Easter bunny is a character in venerable Germanic lore, just as Jehova is a character in venerable Judeo/Christio/Islamic lore. How did you prejudge that the Easter Bunny is a fantasy character undeserving of agnosticism? How did you prejudge that Jehova is more than that? What makes you so firm in your a-easterbunnyism?

Setanta wrote:
Many years ago, in Portal Star's thread on agnostics, I asked Frank why he accorded more importance to the question of whether or not there is a god than he did to the question of the existence of other supernatural characters. In a fit of honesty, never since repeated, he replied that he didn't know.

As you seem to have a limited attention span and a lot of difficulty keeping track, i thought i'd remind you of the exchange, from which you bile has taken flight. Predictably, you have not addressed Thomas' question, nor refuted the claim i made, but just indulged vicious personal remarks It's all you've got going for yu, it seems. A man as devoid of rhetorical skills and as ignorant as you, it's probably the best we'll see from you. Be sure to pile on more snide insults and smears, Pizza, i know you've got nothing better to respond with. It's all that anger you keep bottled up inside.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Ah-hahahahahahaha . . . see what i mean?

What do you mean, Jabba?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Thomas wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
The Easter Bunny is a fantasy character depicted as a rabbit bringing Easter eggs.
You mean, a fantasy character just like Jehova? The Easter bunny is a character in venerable Germanic lore, just as Jehova is a character in venerable Judeo/Christio/Islamic lore. How did you prejudge that the Easter Bunny is a fantasy character undeserving of agnosticism? How did you prejudge that Jehova is more than that? What makes you so firm in your a-easterbunnyism?

Setanta wrote:
Many years ago, in Portal Star's thread on agnostics, I asked Frank why he accorded more importance to the question of whether or not there is a god than he did to the question of the existence of other supernatural characters. In a fit of honesty, never since repeated, he replied that he didn't know.

As you seem to have a limited attention span and a lot of difficulty keeping track, i thought i'd remind you of the exchange, from which you bile has taken flight.

No, no, Jabba. I have perfect attention...and no trouble keeping track of things...even nonsense such as yours. And my bile has not taken flight...it is still sitting on the runway. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying-with-laughter.gif

Quote:
Predictably, you have not addressed Thomas' question, nor refuted the claim i made, but just indulged vicious personal remarks

Oh, no...not the "vicious personal remarks charge" again.

Break out some new stuff, Jabba.

Quote:
It's all you've got going for yu, it seems. A man as devoid of rhetorical skills and as ignorant as you, it's probably the best we'll see from you.

Me??? Devoid of rhetorical skills? Ignorant?

Vicious personal remarks if you ask me. http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/humour-blague/clown-jonglerie/clown.gif

Quote:

Be sure to pile on more snide insults and smears, Pizza, i know you've got nothing better to respond with. It's all that anger you keep bottled up inside.

Nah...no bottling up. I'm smiling from ear to ear. You are here for me...and I can play you like Itshack Pearlman playing a Strad.

Love ya, Jabba. You make my day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:41 pm
I see--so you can't respond to Thomas, nor refute my claim. I knew it, but it helps to see you admit it. You're getting kind of desperate with those puerile emoticons there, Frank.