Are atheists being more illogical than agnostics?

Thomas

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 06:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The Easter Bunny is a fantasy character depicted as a rabbit bringing Easter eggs.

You mean, a fantasy character just like Jehova? The Easter bunny is a character in venerable Germanic lore, just as Jehova is a character in venerable Judeo/Christio/Islamic lore. How did you prejudge that the Easter Bunny is a fantasy character undeserving of agnosticism? How did you prejudge that Jehova is more than that? What makes you so firm in your a-easterbunnyism?
farmerman

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 06:11 pm
@Thomas,
hes a damn anti bunnyite.
farmerman

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 06:13 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
How did you prejudge that the Easter Bunny is a fantasy character undeserving of agnosticism? How did you prejudge that Jehova is more than that?
deserves a curtain call
neologist

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 09:15 pm
This entire thread seems to be moving further and further to the left on the Stanford Binet curve.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 09:41 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
hes a damn anti bunnyite.

. . . if not a bunnyphobe!
neologist

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 10:30 pm
@Thomas,
As I was saying . . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 03:16 am
@Thomas,
Many years ago, in Portal Star's thread on agnostics, I asked Frank why he accorded more importance to the question of whether or not there is a god than he did to the question of the existence of other supernatural characters. In a fit of honesty, never since repeated, he replied that he didn't know.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 07:07 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
The Easter Bunny is a fantasy character depicted as a rabbit bringing Easter eggs.

You mean, a fantasy character just like Jehova? The Easter bunny is a character in venerable Germanic lore, just as Jehova is a character in venerable Judeo/Christio/Islamic lore. How did you prejudge that the Easter Bunny is a fantasy character undeserving of agnosticism? How did you prejudge that Jehova is more than that? What makes you so firm in your a-easterbunnyism?

The Easter Bunny is defined in the dictionary as a fantasy character.

One of the many guesses about the true nature of the REALITY of existence posits the existence of gods or a GOD.

I do not know if that possibility is the REALITY or not.

And I get a big kick out of people like you who pretend that you do. Wink

I just do.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 07:08 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
How did you prejudge that the Easter Bunny is a fantasy character undeserving of agnosticism? How did you prejudge that Jehova is more than that?
deserves a curtain call

I didn't. The dictionary did.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 07:13 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Many years ago, in Portal Star's thread on agnostics, I asked Frank why he accorded more importance to the question of whether or not there is a god than he did to the question of the existence of other supernatural characters. In a fit of honesty, never since repeated, he replied that he didn't know.

Just about every time I've ever responded to that kind of question, I have replied in a variation of "the question of gods goes to the question of the true nature of the REALITY of existence"...the question about Easter Bunnies and Santa Claus...are merely atheistic ways of avoiding the uncomfortable truth.

I may have gotten lazy that time, if it happened. Present my supposed response in context with a link...and I will defend it. Until them I will consider it a self-serving, distorted characterization.
JimmyJ

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 10:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
Let me get this straight:

If it doesn't serve your argument, Frank, it must be an atheistic way of avoiding uncomfortable truth? Am I correct?

The comparison between god and the easter bunny is perfectly valid.

And BOTH are defined in the dictionary. Both have magical powers. Both of their existences would fly in the face of most observable science.

Just because you don't like an argument doesn't mean it isn't perfectly valid. The reason theists, deists, wannabe socratics (like you), etc. hate the easter bunny/santa claus argument is because there is no good retort to it.
Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 10:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sure Bubba, a rhetorical warrior such as you can have no flaws. As nearly as i can tell, that was the first time you were asked that question, and you only later realized the pitfalls of such honesty on your part. I've already looked that up and quoted that for you, not long after your most recent return. I'm not your errand boy, Bubba. If you want to defend that remark, look it up and provide the context youreslf.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:14 am
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:

Let me get this straight:

If it doesn't serve your argument, Frank, it must be an atheistic way of avoiding uncomfortable truth? Am I correct?

No, you are not.

Quote:
The comparison between god and the easter bunny is perfectly valid.

If you think so...you think so. I don't.

Quote:
And BOTH are defined in the dictionary. Both have magical powers. Both of their existences would fly in the face of most observable science.

Interesting. So...do you know for sure there are no gods?

Quote:
Just because you don't like an argument doesn't mean it isn't perfectly valid.

Where did I say it is not valid?

Quote:
The reason theists, deists, wannabe socratics (like you), etc. hate the easter bunny/santa claus argument is because there is no good retort to it.

There is a fine retort to it...which I have given many times.

In any case, it is obvious atheists are obsessed with the Easter Bunny...and with Santa Claus.

Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Sure Bubba, a rhetorical warrior such as you can have no flaws.

I have not said I have no flaws, Setanta. I have suggested that you sometimes make stuff up...such as you did in that sentence.

Quote:
As nearly as i can tell, that was the first time you were asked that question, and you only later realized the pitfalls of such honesty on your part.

I was asked that question dozens of times on Abuzz...which predates here. I have always been honest in my replies. There is no pitfall to my response.

Quote:
I've already looked that up and quoted that for you, not long after your most recent return.

I doubt you did...but once again, if you quote what I said and give a link...I will gladly discuss it with you.

Quote:
I'm not your errand boy, Bubba. If you want to defend that remark, look it up and provide the context youreslf.

No you are not my errand boy. You are a person who characterizes other people's comments in ways that distort their meaning.

I am interested in the true nature of the REALITY of existence. Some people posit that a god is involved. I do not know if there are gods or not. I mostly leave discussion of the Easter Bunny to atheists...because they seem infatuated with it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:26 am
Oh, poor abused, misunderstood Frank--i asked the question, you replied as i stated, exactly as i stated. I made that remark in response to what others here are saying, i don't give a **** if you want to imply that i'm lying, or even to call me a liar. Name-calling is always your resort of refuge when you can't do any better--and of course, lately, you've been doing a lot of shouting. I don't give a **** what happened at abuzz, what happened here is that i asked you why you consider the question of whether or not there is a god is more important than the question of other supernatural beings, and you said you didn't know. Get over it.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Oh, poor abused, misunderstood Frank--i asked the question, you replied as i stated, exactly as i stated.

I am not abused...I am amused. And you particularly amuse me.

Quote:
I made that remark in response to what others here are saying, i don't give a **** if you want to imply that i'm lying, or even to call me a liar.

How very interesting.

Quote:
Name-calling is always your resort of refuge when you can't do any better--and of course, lately, you've been doing a lot of shouting.

Oh, poor abused, misunderstood, kind, courteous Setanta!

Quote:
I don't give a **** what happened at abuzz, what happened here is that i asked you why you consider the question of whether or not there is a god is more important than the question of other supernatural beings, and you said you didn't know.

I understand that is what you claim.

But you claim all sorts of things that are nonsense...and unless I see a link to what you are claiming that I said...I really cannot discuss it with any specificity.

Quote:

Get over it.

Hey, I've got a big smile on my face. You sound as though you are having some trouble "getting over it" though! Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:38 am
If you're so calm and happy, why are you shouting again?
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:51 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you're so calm and happy, why are you shouting again?

I always shout when I am calm and happy, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:55 pm
You should get some anger management training, that's got to be hell on your blood pressure. Calm down, Frank, learn to take it easy.
Frank Apisa

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:03 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You should get some anger management training, that's got to be hell on your blood pressure. Calm down, Frank, learn to take it easy.

Nice try, but I'd sooner take lessons from you on how to stay slim...than on how to stay calm. Wink

But it was a nice try...and the laughter it caused probably worked to steady my blood pressure.

I'm 77...and my last check up had it at 117 over 78...if I remember correctly.

How's that compare with yours?