Are atheists being more illogical than agnostics?

Setanta

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Good . . . i never liked that little bitch Tinkerbell.

As this joker here has acknowledged that he is agnostic with regard to fairies, pixies and elves, i have a thought exercise for him. If he came home to discover that some of his cash were missing, and a child of his acquaintance were there, who told him the cash had been taken by pixies--he would not be in a position to punish the child, as he would not be able to refute the claim based on the non-existence of pixies, no?
izzythepush

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:12 pm
@Setanta,
I don't like to get involved in other people's parenting. How honest is the child?
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:16 pm
Beats me . . . anyway, it's not my problem. It's not my cash, and i don't believe in fairies, pixies or elves. If it happened to me, that little perisher would be toast.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:17 pm
@Setanta,
You would think that most people would be dismissive of fairies, then try moving a fairy stone, and you're guaranteed a huge protest.
0 Replies

igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:20 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

... Just as in that case, this thread requires that one accept this joker's definitions, and, of course, he intends that all the defintions ultimately define himself as right, and anyone who dissents as wrong.

This is not correct you’d need to show examples.

Setanta wrote:

You're just indulging your now familiar exercise of defining terms to suit your thesis--you're begging the question once again.

You don't understand what i "meant" to say. I said what i meant to say. You've begged the question from the outset, and done it by insisting on definitions you can twist to support your thesis.

If I am then please quote them but I’d say you are incorrect.

Setanta wrote:

Thomas Huxley, who coined the word agnostic in 1869, wrote:

Quote:
Agnosticism is not a creed but a method, the essence of which lies in vigorous application of a single principle. Positively the principle may be expressed as: in matters of intellect, follow your reason as far as it can carry you without other considerations. And negatively, in matters of the intellect, do not pretend the conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable. It is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can produce evidence which logically justifies that certainty. That is what Agnosticism asserts; and, in my opinion, it is all that is essential to Agnosticism. ... The application of the principle results in the denial of, or the suspension of judgment concerning, a number of propositions respecting which our contemporary ecclesiastical "gnostics" profess entire certainty.

By Huxley's definition of the word which he invented, atheists and theists both can be agnostics, to the extent that they claim to be able or unable to demonstrate the proposition of the existence of god. It is useful to consider that Huxley did not coin the term with reference soley to the narrow and controversial proposition that there is or isn't a god.

I clearly stated at the beginning and elsewhere that the subject was just about belief in the existence of ‘God’. I’d say Huxley seems to state clearly why it is more illogical to be an atheist than an agnostic when the existence or non-existence of God cannot be proved.
izzythepush

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:26 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

I clearly stated at the beginning and elsewhere that the subject was just about belief in the existence of ‘God’. I’d say Huxley seems to state clearly why it is more illogical to be an atheist than an agnostic when the existence or non-existence of God cannot be proved.

Now all we need is someone to go on about flying tea pots.
Setanta

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:31 pm
@igm,
Of course you'd say i'm incorrect. It's very obvious that you are constitutionally incapable of acknowledging that you may be wrong. No big surprise there.

You wrote:
The etymology of the word is not the philosophical meaning. If you want to be an atheist you must use it to refute theism which is a belief in God. You must therefore refute the belief in God to be an atheist you haven’t which means your belief that you are an atheist is false and illogical (given the normal philosophical definitions of atheism, theism and agnosticism all of which are standard philosophical terms).

Here you have, conveniently for your thesis, defined atheist. This crap about "normal philosophical definitions" is mere ipse dixit, you've provided no evidence that this is true. You are an incredibly naive and facile individual and this is one of the most simple-minded heaps of horse **** i've seen at this site.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:36 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Good . . . i never liked that little bitch Tinkerbell.

As this joker here has acknowledged that he is agnostic with regard to fairies, pixies and elves, i have a thought exercise for him. If he came home to discover that some of his cash were missing, and a child of his acquaintance were there, who told him the cash had been taken by pixies--he would not be in a position to punish the child, as he would not be able to refute the claim based on the non-existence of pixies, no?

I don't believe in them I understand that to believe that I could know for certain that there are or are not any would be illogical. The same is true of 'God'. It's a waist of energy to hold a belief when you have no evidence for it.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

igm wrote:

Now all we need is someone to go on about flying tea pots.

Why would that help?
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:41 pm
@igm,
It was a waste of your education that no one taught you the difference between waist and waste. I've provided several definions from reliable, external sources to support my position. You've provided none. You lose.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:44 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You are an incredibly naive and facile individual and this is one of the most simple-minded heaps of horse **** i've seen at this site.

No evidence again? Just your usual kind words and helpful input. Again show the evidence or just keep doing what you do best.
0 Replies

igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It was a waste of your education that no one taught you the difference between waist and waste. I've provided several definions from reliable, external sources to support my position. You've provided none. You lose.

Again show me what I've said that supports your (what shall I say) comments.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:52 pm
The title is a question: 'Are atheists being more illogical than agnostics?'

I only asked a question I didn't say I'd taken sides. I defended a position to get responses but I have to say agnostics have got a point.
Setanta

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:54 pm
@igm,
God you're thick. I don't have constantly quote your posts in which you have defined atheist in a manner convenient to your proposition, but which is contradicted by the external sources i've provided. I've supported my position. It is you who have failed to support your proposition. I don't have to disprove your proposition if you fail utterly to support it. I just have to support my position, and i've done so.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

God you're thick...

Thanks again! Still no supporting evidence?
izzythepush

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:57 pm
@igm,
'I don't believe in God. I believe in the Devil though, the bastard keeps making commercials' Astronaut 9th Configuration.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:59 pm
@igm,
. . . he said, backpeddling furiously . . .
Krumple

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 01:01 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

One thing atheists say is that it’s not logical to believe in God. Since it’s more logical to say that it’s impossible to know whether there is a God or not should atheists be agnostics (logically speaking)?

It’s more logical to be an agnostic because it takes into account that it’s impossible to know for certain that there isn’t a God and that is the definition of what it is to be an agnostic when it comes to believing in God? Does that make atheists less logical than agnostics?

Also I don't think it's more logical to say 'I'm 99% atheist and 1% agnostic than saying 'I'm an agnostic.

The problem here is your definitions. Atheism is about belief, NOT knowledge. Agnosticism is about knowledge. They are completely two different things. In fact you can be an agnostic-atheist because they mean two different things.

I go about the problem in a different way. I am pretty sure there are no flying pink elephants existing anywhere except in my imagination. I am also pretty certain that no gods exist. Not Zeus, not any gods. I find it funny how people want to pick and choose which gods exist. Christians will claim their god exists but deny the existence of other gods. How is it they are so certain?

I am as certain that no gods exist as I am certain that no flying pink elephants exist. Could I be wrong? Sure but it is still a safer bet from my point of view.
Setanta

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 01:05 pm
@igm,
Hey, i've done this more than once. Are your reading skills impaired? Is this some tactic of your elementay school debate team, to take no notice of the evidence others provide, and then deny that they have any? I've quoted your post in which you defined atheist. I've provided external, reliable sources which contradict you. Go back and read them, and stop this nonsense about my having no evidence.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 01:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

. . . he said, backpeddling furiously . . .

For example...? You appear to be the master of insult but little else (I might be wrong). I have to try to find the things you're saying amongst the insults that are never backed up by examples.