Monster movie smackdown: Zombies v. Vampires

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:31 pm
Which movies are better? Zombies or Vampires.

I vote Zombies but that's just because I love "Sean of the Dead" and "Zombieland" more than I love "Nosferatu" and "The Lost Boys" (but I haven't seen "Let The Right One In" yet and I hear it's really good).

So which is best? Zombies or vampires?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,864 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:41 pm
@boomerang,
Zombies!!! (Have you watched The Walking Dead?)

I like reading about vampires, though.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 04:58 am
@boomerang,
I prefer vampires. Among other things they really want every last drop of their victim, not just the brain. I always enjoy vampire films, whereas zombie films often leave me feeling empty.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 07:04 am
The Walking Dead is great! I think the new season starts in October. I'm ready!

I think I'm just missing the good vampire movies, Sturgis. Which ones are your favorites? What should I put on my "must see" list?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 07:53 am
@boomerang,
Personally I find most are fairly good, even the ones which are over the top in unrealistic, with those, they become comedy. (I see many so called horror films as comedy, it's just how I'm programmed)

The 1931 Bela Lugosi Dracula is still a favorite of mine, and works well with his 1940's The Return of The Vampire.

For an all out unbelievable comedy, I appreciate Innocent Blood, set in Pittsburgh with veteran actor Robert Loggia turning vampire. It was comical, but also has a few moments of surprise and suspense.

And for non stop hysterical laughter I stick with the rather twisted Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter...it's best not to drink liquids or eat food during the show due to laughing so hard.

Films I have never seen in vampire world are any of the Anne Rice conversions. I enjoyed her vampire novels, but when casting was done on the films the people selected did not fit with either my image of them or in many cases the way the character had been described in the books.

I've also avoided the entire Wesley Snipes :Blade: series.

This isn't to dismiss your preference to zombies, I just don't find them nearly as captivating or exciting. For me the thrill of a vampire is that they can blend in so easily with the crowd, zombies tend not to do that quite as well. Vampires although they will squabble among each other, are also quite familial in nature, zombies seem to more likely be chaotic rovers just searching for a brain, they travel in packs but I sense they're mostly loners.

I guess I just don't get zombies (although I did like the song and video from The Hooters...well, mainly the song)

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:09 am
@Sturgis,
I loved that Leslie Neilson vampire comedy! It was one of my dad's favorite movies. He would laugh so hard the whole house would shake. It could be that I loved the way my dad loved it more than I loved the movie itself.

I understand that they're making a movie from the book "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" which I'm sure I will absolutely have to see.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter sounds terrific!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:14 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
(but I haven't seen "Let The Right One In" yet and I hear it's really good).

i haven't seen the american remake, but the original is really good movie
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:14 am
@boomerang,
The original Let the Right One In is one of my favorite vampire movies. Haven't seen the US remake yet though it's available for Netflix streaming right now.

I guess I prefer zombie films with Sean of the Dead; 28 Days Later; and 28 Weeks Later being my favorites.
boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:15 am
@djjd62,
I've heard that it's really good. I didn't even know there was an American version. Do you know what it's called? Would it be suitable for pre-teens?
djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:17 am
for scary movies i prefer psychopaths (devils rejects, saw type things) or unknown monsters (slither, jeepers creepers)
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:18 am
@boomerang,
Let Me In (2010) is the American remake.

Quote:
MPAA:Rated R for strong bloody horror violence, language and a brief sexual situation
boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh! The "28" movies were great! Fast zombies are way scarier than slow zombies.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:20 am
@boomerang,
I'm hoping for a sequel but will it be 28 Months Later?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:24 am
@tsarstepan,
have you seen it?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:27 am
@djjd62,
I have a really hard time with those kinds of movies. Even "7" was a bit much for me. "Hostel" scared the holyjesus out of me.

Mo came home from school one day wanting to see the "Saw" movies because some of his friends were talking about them. I said I'd have to preview one before I'd let him see it. My answer was "OMG - NO! You will not be watching "Saw".
boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks! That sounds like another one that I'll have to preview or watch alone. I love scary movies -- especially the atmospheric ones and this sounds like one of those. Mo and I enjoy watching scary movies together and I'm usually pretty flexible with ratings but there are some lines I won't cross.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:30 am
@boomerang,
definitely not films for kids

i liked hostel, mostly for the concept (tourista was the same sort of thing, kids kidnapped for organ harvest in south america) which i thought was pretty well presented

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:33 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Let Me In (2010) is the American remake.

Quote:
MPAA:Rated R for strong bloody horror violence, language and a brief sexual situation

i wonder how they handle some of the sexual ideas raised by the original, americans seem way more scared of sex than violence
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:39 am
@boomerang,
I think vampires are sexier - there is definately something sexual about it.

There is nothing sexy about zombies. But that being said zombies and their movies are scarier so I vote for zombies.

I also think that a zombie would win in a fight with a vampire. Although both are "dead" zombies really just react to eating and the numbers are overwhelming - you can only kill them by shooting them in the brain. Now granted vampires are only killed with a stake in the heart, but zombies would just keep eating them including the heart.
Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:39 am
@boomerang,
Try the Anne Rice vampire books.
0 Replies