I think I have a new hero: Srecko Katanec

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:37 pm
Quote:
United Arab Emirates soccer player Theyab Awana is in a bit of hot water after a penalty kick against Lebanon that was deemed “disrespectful.”

The Baniyas winger, who participated in Sunday’s friendly match, added a theatrical flair to his penalty shot, angering coach Srecko Katanec, who promptly removed Awana from the game.

“This should have not happened,” UAE manager Esmaeel Rashed said after the game. “I think what happened is disrespectful. We cannot accept anyone in our team who does not respect the opponent.”

Awana has since apologized for his behavior. A meeting scheduled for today will decide his punishment.

Wow. Just wow.

Having spent a few years watching mini-league sports and seeing all kinds of "disrespectful" behavior this is a nice change of pace, especially for professional athletes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 12,959 • Replies: 40

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:57 pm
@boomerang,
Hmm.
I slightly follow soccer but not enough to know the culture to this kind of level. (Never mind political considerations which probably can cloud things, just that I don't know how to gauge just how mocking this was.)

So then what about some well known tennis pros who do trick shots on occasion?
boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:13 pm
@ossobuco,
What about them? Are they doing it to "dis" their opponent? If so, then I don't see it as having a place. Is it some kind of exhibition to show off trick shots? Then okay.

I might be the oddball here but one of the things I don't like about sports is the whole "IN YOUR FACE, LOSER" posturing of the players. I'd love to see a bit of civility and sportsmanship.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:20 pm
I don't understand what the guy did wrong. He did a trick kick and it worked. It wasn't about putting anything in anyone's face, or gloating; he used mis-direction, successfully.

He didn't gloat or cheer afterward, he just laughed and went back to playing. I don't really see the problem.

Cycloptichorn
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:27 pm
@boomerang,
Forgive me but I'm not sure why it was such a crime. As previously mentioned in my own antisoccer thread, I'm not really a fan of soccer and I guess the concept of a raison d'etre of the friendly match eludes me in terms of being literally a friendly game.

Okay, the score was 5 to 2 and though I'm not sure how much time was left in the game, is it running up the score to get a goal at this point? The trick shot shouldn't have tricked the goalie as it was a lot slower then what I imagine a normal face to face penalty kick would be. I think the goalie had no intention of stopping the goal no matter how or where to the ball was kicked.

This isn't a late tackle in American football, a pitch too close to a batter's head, faking an injury in soccer, throwing a tennis racket at the judge, or picking a fight with someone in the stands.

Soccer isn't a genteel sport like golf or cricket.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

in our culture it would be akin to a 360-dunk in basketball.
in their's it's (apparently) disrespectful...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
He probably laughed as he had NO IDEA the ball was actually going to go into the net Sir Cycloptichorn. I agree with your assessment. No harm, no foul.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:33 pm
Like I said, I'm probably the oddball --- I like good sportsmanship and I don't like showboating. The fact that it's soccer is irrelevant. The coach thought it was disrespectful and that's good enough for me.

I've seen players in Mo's baseball league hit an obvious home run and then strut slowly around the bases like a big shot. It pisses me off when the coach's don't take them to task for it.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:45 pm
@boomerang,
A little celebration is fine for the course. Too much celebration smacks of arrogance. How does one define too much?

But how many times does a player actually hit a home run in Mo's league? Once a game? Once a season? The more prevalent these personal events happen, I can imagine restraint is in order. But if these types of milestones are particularly rare, then some freedom for expression of joy should be allowed. That said, taunting behavior should not accepted. The kid who hit the home run shouldn't be pointing or jibing at the pitcher or opposing team players for example.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:06 pm
@boomerang,
In tennis, the top pros do this backwards stuff - Federer, Nadal, and perhaps others. Don't trust me on who, but more than one of them. There are videos on youtube. I haven't analyzed to see just when they do it, but to the extent I know, it isn't taken as you-are-a-****-player, disrespect city. Tennis can be tense and people want to mix it up, have some play, perhaps not in key tournaments. But some, for example, grunt, inexorably grunt, at large decibels, wherever they may be - I think Monica Seles started it, but not sure.
This could be considered purposeful distraction, and argued about.

Play is still an aspect of games. This coach may have extreme distaste for anything to do with rear ends, or he may be reflecting his culture together with the local game culture accurately - I don't know.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Agree - that is taken as unsportsmanlike by many.

Where is Fbaezer to explain for us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
The guy I remember coaching players to 'act like you've been in the end zone before' was Bill Walsh with the SF 49ers.
That's one culture.
Not the only one.

There's also a mode to not pile on. Sometimes this doesn't work, whatever the sport.
A pile on may have been happening at that soccer game, and the fellow was just moving into a play zone, not mocking. Or, maybe he was.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:38 pm
(invited by osso)

Of course the way he kicked the ball was disrespecful.

The game was slanted for his team.

It's like if a left handed pitcher for a team who's whipping the opponent put his glove in his left hand, tossed the ball with his right hand and got an out.

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
But how many times does a player actually hit a home run in Mo's league? Once a game? Once a season?

Considering that the pitchers aren't very fast and don't have a large repertoire of pitches, that the outfield is generally chasing butterflies and that batting is everyone's favorite thing to do, they hit home runs ALL THE TIME.

I agree that an expression of joy should be allowed -- after you've touched home plate you're team mates should rush in and jump all over you.

I define too much as any kind of grand standing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:43 pm
@fbaezer,
Ah, so more than playing around.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:45 pm
@fbaezer,
Thank you.

As always, it's lovely to see you again.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:47 pm
@fbaezer,
I'm not sure of the analogy. If a pitcher could do that??? Be a switch pitcher? Talk about the Holy Grail of baseball considering how valuable switch hitters are in the game.

This would be a thing of utter marvel not a work of mere disrespect.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:50 pm
I think you could plausibly claim that the ridiculous kick distracted the goalie and caused him to miss the block. In that case, I think Awana's action was just as deplorable as Alex Rodriguez yelling as he rounds the bases in order to distract infielders from catching pop flies.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 07:00 pm
@Shapeless,
It did occur to me that it distracted the goalie. Who then looked out of it, but isn't that occasional for even very good goalies?

So is this about the rear end as a basic kind of swearing, thus disrespect?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
So I looked up Federer - it's called a tween shot.

0 Replies