precise changes = integral changes?

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 02:28 am

Context:

We present genome engineering technologies that are capable of fundamentally reengineering genomes from the nucleotide to the megabase scale. We used multiplex automated genome engineering (MAGE) to site-specifically replace all 314 TAG stop codons with synonymous TAA codons in parallel across 32 Escherichia coli strains. This approach allowed us to measure individual recombination frequencies, confirm viability for each modification, and identify associated phenotypes. We developed hierarchical conjugative assembly genome engineering (CAGE) to merge these sets of codon modifications into genomes with 80 precise changes, which demonstrate that these synonymous codon substitutions can be combined into higher-order strains without synthetic lethal effects. Our methods treat the chromosome as both an editable and an evolvable template, permitting the exploration of vast genetic landscapes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 623 • Replies: 7
No top replies

McTag

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:28 am
@oristarA,

discrete changes, I would suggest.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:31 am
@McTag,
exact changes? Unfortunately precise is the best word to use in this context, all other synonyms really don't match up. Look up the term 'precision engineering,' that might help you get your head around it.
McTag

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:07 pm
@izzythepush,

I don't agree. You wouldn't advocate an imprecise change.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:34 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Context:
We developed hierarchical conjugative assembly genome engineering (CAGE) to merge these sets of codon modifications into genomes with 80 precise changes, which demonstrate that these synonymous codon substitutions can be combined into higher-order strains without synthetic lethal effects.

I would suggest the word 'constituent' would work in this context as it is closer to the meaning of 'integral' than the other suggestions or even 'component'.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 08:49 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Context:
We developed hierarchical conjugative assembly genome engineering (CAGE) to merge these sets of codon modifications into genomes with 80 precise changes, which demonstrate that these synonymous codon substitutions can be combined into higher-order strains without synthetic lethal effects.

I would suggest the word 'constituent' would work in this context as it is closer to the meaning of 'integral' than the other suggestions or even 'component'.

Thanks.

In "these sets of codon modifications into genomes with 80 precise changes," do you agree:

1) The "modifications" refers to " 80 precise changes"?
2) "These sets": each set includes 80 precise changes?

igm

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 08:35 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

igm wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Context:

Thanks.

In "these sets of codon modifications into genomes with 80 precise changes," do you agree:

1) The "modifications" refers to " 80 precise changes"?
2) "These sets": each set includes 80 precise changes?

I would say yes, I do agree.
oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:28 am
@igm,
Thank you.
0 Replies