A sentence about SKL...

Nancy88

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:49 am
'The SLK has excellent bite in the front tires, massive braking, surprising lateral grip, and when you open the throttle to kick out the rear end coming out of a hairpin,' Mr. Neil says, 'the car will oblige safely and progressively.'

here comes the sentece thay baffles me,
when you open the throttle to kick out the rear end coming out of a hairpin, the car will oblige safely and progressively.

“coming out of a hairpin” means “just after a "U" style turn on the road, am I right?
What puzzles me is the phrase "kick out the rear end". Who can explain it for me?
Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 669 • Replies: 2
No top replies

McTag

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:14 pm
@Nancy88,

It refers to the dynamics of the vehicle in a turn. It's quite a complicated subject, but apparently in this vehicle, opening the throttle while completing the turn will bring the back wheels out, rather like the phenomenon known as understeer.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:43 pm
"Kicking out the rear end" refers to the rear wheels sliding outwards in a turn. This phenomenon is referred to as oversteer. Understeer ocurrs when the front end (i.e. The front wheels) slides out in a turn.
0 Replies