What effects would time travel have on wireless devices?

chai2

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 10:14 am
@chai2,
It kinda tickles.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 10:33 am
@JGoldman10,
If you could get your hands on a "small " FM ham radio transceiver you could patch into open hobbies relays telephone hookups at least for local calls in most cities.

That would act in a similar manner to current cell phones except you was suppose to have a ham license, the calls could be monitor by anyone, and the FCC have rules about the type of calls you could made.

Still I can remember being impress with the technology in the 1970s or so.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 02:26 pm
@farmerman,
Awesome
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 07:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
The NET did exist - it wasn't commercialized until '95. Small businesses used internet access amongst themselves but it was primitive, and the military and the gov't were the only other groups using it. The first prototypes for Web browsers weren't in development till '89 and back in '93 very few people used them.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 07:58 pm
Would laptops or any computers with Net capability be compatible with old '80s computers and software?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:00 pm
@farmerman,
You are a TROLL.

I am a GUY who lives a very secluded/reclusive existance - I am not a child.

I am NOT AN EXPERT ON THE SCIENCE OR MECHANICS OF CELL PHONES - THAT IS NOT MY FORTE.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
The internet would not be available to your time traveler in the 1980s and did not even exist as anything we would call the internet during that time fame.

Hell not even the concept of DNS exist until 1983 or so and the first ISPs came into being in 1989.

Oh a standard laptop of 2011 would be the most powerful computer in the world in 1985!!!!!!!!!!!
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:06 pm
@BillRM,
I am not talking about the Internet. The gov't/military were the ONLY ONES using it. SMALL BUSINESSES had their own computer networks, with e-mails and what-not. I don't know if you would consider what businesses had a form of Internet access - I am going by what I was told.

Would the software they had in the '80s be compatible with modern computers?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:07 pm
@BillRM,
What is a DNS?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:13 pm
@BillRM,
Internet in the '80s:

http://www.computing.dcu.ie/~humphrys/net.80s.html
http://www.theinternetbusinessman.com/history-of-internet-in-the-80s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_web_browser
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Would the software they had in the '80s be compatible with modern computers?

You could run such software under a COBOL emulator for example it the hardware interfacing that would likely end up killing you.

You would be far better off using the computers and computer hardwires of the time period for communication with your 2011 computer given the task of doing any heavy offline numbers crunching/ data processing that might be call for.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:37 pm
You 2010 laptop's software wouldn't run on anything they had in the 80s. And its graphics are lightyears beyond anything available in the 80s. An 80s computer would have absolutely no idea of how to run any of them. It's unlikely, but there is a vanishingly small possibility that very early Windows programs might run in emulation mode on your laptop, but I doubt it. The question is why you would want to run any of them. Windows 3.0 the first real complete operating system from Microsoft wasn't intorduced until 1990. I don't know if any current operating systems will run DOS software, which is mostly what was produced in the 1980s.
BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
What is a DNS?

DNS stand for Domain Name System and is part of the high level addressing/routing protocol used by the current internet.

When you type in the name of a website your computer require a number from a DNS server that is assign to that website and the whole thing is similar to looking up a phone number of a person using his or her name.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:58 pm
www.able2know.com is a DNS name, for example.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 09:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
You 2010 laptop's software wouldn't run on anything they had in the 80s.

Yes but 1980 software written in higher languages such as COBOL can indeed be run under an emulator. Oh I been assuming here that you would wish you laptop to run mainframe programs not the simple first generation PC software but either is doable with little problem.

I run old TI99A software under an emulator now as a matter of fact and emulators are around for all kind of old OSs and you can even find a PDP-1 1960 emulator and on and on.

Quote:
I don't know if any current operating systems will run DOS software, which is mostly what was produced in the 1980s.

DOS is not a problem to run as I do so all the time with an emulator for the same reason I run ti99a software to play old games.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:42 am
@MontereyJack,
The most sophicated computers they had in the 80s were Commodore Amigas.
PCs weren't introduced until the '80s.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 03:10 am
IBM PCs were introduced in Aug. 81. They ran MS-DOS. Other companies produced similar computers which were not fully compatible with IBM and often ran somewhat different and not fully compatible versions of DOS. Took a few years for everything to standardize.
raprap

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 03:23 am
Thinking relativistically to go backwards in time you'd have to travel faster than light, so any source of radiation (like a wifi) would become a black hole and the universe would implode and become a contradiction all at the same time.

or maybe never, or both?

Rap
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 04:43 am
@MontereyJack,
Texas Instrument rekaeasd a IBM typle computer that was design not to be 100 percents comapntible even at the hardware level to the IBM running their own verson of dos and some fool in my company purchased them.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:07 am
how would you get these programs onto a 2011 laptop, the last one i bought (about 2006) didn't have a 5 inch floppy disk (or however big those m'fer's were)

do towers today still have floppy disk slots?, my last one did but it was about a 2003 model