what is life?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:19 pm
@igm,
...there is this allegation on about correlations, about them not meaning the same as causation...well all I have to say in that regard is that they are false correlations since they don´t really correlate anything at all...they represent associations that we do that are misplaced just plain simple....other then that I could n´t care less if we are to call causes correlations or to defend that what really correlates must then be defined as our grasp on what a cause is all about !

Correlations establish functions not miss-functions or pseudo functions...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:23 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...another thing is that crap bullshit about Law´s describing the world and not causing the world...
...but if we stop for a sec to assume that, as descriptions, Laws as Information, behind matter or as matter itself, are exactly, what is happening in the world... ...Laws are not only causing the World they are the World being in them !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:40 pm
Although granted and true that Philosophy it is after all about mental masturbation, its not plain simple mental masturbation...but rather and more importantly about mental masturbation upon the pitiful mental masturbation of everybody else ! Wink
igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:57 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
It could be seen as a tool to remove gross misunderstandings and replace them with more subtle misunderstandings. Smile
0 Replies

longknowledge

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 10:59 pm
@hamilton,
According to my favorite philosopher, Ortega y Gasset, "Life" or more specifically "My Life" is the "Radical Reality," in the sense that all other realities appear or are "rooted" in it. (The word "radical" comes from the Latin radix meaning "root.")

See: Human Life is Radical Reality: An Idea Developed from the Conceptions of Dilthey, Heidegger, and Ortega y Gasset, by Howard N. Tuttle (New York: Peter Lang, 2005)
0 Replies

shanemcd3

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 04:47 pm
The meaning/nature of existence" or "reality is a matter for imagination, life is meaningless
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 05:43 pm
@shanemcd3,
shanemcd3 wrote:

The meaning/nature of existence" or "reality is a matter for imagination, life is meaningless

I really don´t understand how come people that know what a function or an algorithm is can claim that there is no purpose here and there be it life or the cosmos or the button in my shirt...The function is the purpose...life is itself a sufficient purpose, its self justified in its "beingness"...just like the Cosmos holistically is self justified thus necessary not contingent...mind that by Cosmos it is meant the entirety of reality, for instance the Multiverse...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 06:12 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
In fact the whole problem of "God" vs "Multiverse" is nothing other then a cultural clash, a peanuts debate, in which basically we are discussing the proper name we should apply to "it", the "thing" !
On a deeper impartial level of thought the property's excluding cultural detail here and there are very much the same...
Multiverse it is very much eternal uncaused and cause of everything...it is omnipresent in itself as an entirety, or in its beingness omnisciently aware of itself in a mathematical causal sense, that is to say, that information circulates and relates in such a way that effects reflect in a loose sense "awareness" of causes translating them...it is also omnipotent once it probably exhausts statistically the whole spectrum of possible logical potential Worlds there can be...

...from where I stand the only advantage on the atheist side it is the openness to falsifiability and the non separation of creator and creation which makes sense in set theory once obviously the sum of two things is always bigger the any of its constituents separately...in sum to say that there is no such creator nor such creation but just the whole of reality.
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 02:17 am

a form of energy that becomes more energenic , not less
igm

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 05:58 am
@north,
north wrote:

a form of energy that becomes more energenic , not less

There’s not enough to go on in this statement. Taken literally if anything was in equilibrium or the energy momentarily dropped then one would cease to be alive. Also, if the energy never stopped increasing then what causes its unceasing increase and why don’t we experience this energy continually increasing even in the instant before death? You’d need to explain how someone could make sense of what you’ve said. Normally equilibrium eventually leads to entropy not to an increase. If the life energy is not subject to this then I can’t see how or why one would say ‘life energy’ either increases or decreases.
0 Replies