The Kvetch Thread

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:22 pm
I got a phone message from Bellevue about a test I'm having on Monday. Message not in English. I managed to pick up the phone in time and say, Hablo ingles.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:52 pm
@Roberta,
fucky fucky, re the system. Why is the system so hard to orchestrate? (Sending help to Bellevue by energy)
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 07:21 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I got a phone message from Bellevue about a test I'm having on Monday. Message not in English. I managed to pick up the phone in time and say, Hablo ingles.

That's funny, Roberta. Did they, then, in fact hablar Ingles? I had a similar experience in a hotel room in, if I remember aright, New York. My Spanish is fairly limited but, like everyone else, I'll throw in the occasional que pasa or hasta la vista into an otherwise English language dialogue.

Well, I had ordered something or other from room service and was doing something like knotting my necktie when there was a knock on the door. Ahh, room service. I yelled. "Momentito!" and headed toward the door. The bellhop who had my order was standing at the door, beaming, apprently soooo happy that he had a Spanish-speaking customer to deal with. He broke into fluent Espanol, apologizing profusely for having taken solong to make the delivery (I understood that much) and saying how it was all the fault of his jefe who had made him make another delivery first etc. etc. etc. Apparently he assumed that I, too, was a Spanish speaker from that one innocent momentito (boy, my accent must really be good! Smile).

I assured him that everything was bueno, bueno, tipped him more than I had intended to, and broke down into laughter once the door was closed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 07:25 pm
@Roberta,
I'd love to see a thread about the most boring words in the world.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 07:27 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I'd love to see a thread about the most boring words in the world.

So start one.

Sheesh. Gotta tell you everything. Never would have been any digression threads on Abuzz if I hadn't suggested it to you.
dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 07:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I wanted Boida to! She has the list.

Anyway the last thread I started is at zero and I really wanted to know the answer to the question. I've become a thread killer.
Eva

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 09:13 pm
@dlowan,
Nonsense! Start that thread and I will post on it. I promise!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 12:02 am
I don't have time to be starting threads. I gotta edit the boring definitions to the boring words.

Then I have fifteen pages of endnotes to edit. Talk about boring.

Go ahead. Start a thread. I dare ya.
Eva

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 08:45 am
@Roberta,
Okay then, I will!
Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:30 am
@Eva,
Eva, good for you. I posted. Whoda thunk.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 02:35 am
@Eva,
Oh bugger....I didn't see this. I just made a bloody thread too!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:52 am
And I'll post on it!
I did promise!

(If I can find it...)
Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:56 am
@Eva,
http://able2know.org/topic/181450-1
Eva

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:58 am
@Roberta,
Thanks!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 05:16 pm
I got the Medicare card stuff resolved. Gonna get a refund for paying full price for my last batch of scrips.

Turned down work. Never did that before. I really need time to rest, without deadlines looming. Now I'm stewing that I need the money and shouldn't have said no. Then I find out that the person I told I was resting told everybody else I'm resting. So I won't be getting any work for a while. So I'm guess I'm gonna be resting.

The purchase order for the most boring editing job in the world was wrong. Off by $500. Called to complain. They're gonna fix it, but now it will take even longer for me to get paid.

I could go on, but I won't. Why? Cuz I'm resting.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 05:21 pm
@Roberta,
What you need is some matzo ball soup. Makes most things better, helps you rest better too.

Glad the Medicare stuff is tended to and in a good way, as for work, there'll be other offers, enjoy the time off, it will give you more time to kvetch.
dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 08:51 pm
@Roberta,
Can you spread the word about when you'll be taking work again? So you don't rest longer than financially ok?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 11:11 pm
@Sturgis,
I might cook up some chicken soup. But I won't be making matzo balls. Noodles are fine with me. (I make pretty good chicken soup. Matzo balls. Never tried to make them. My grandmother made them better than anyone. She included chicken fat.)

Deb, The word is already out. However, you can be sure that I'll remind people.
Diane

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 11:15 pm
@Roberta,
Hey Boida, glad you're resting. Money is always a worry, but getting some rest can make for a more efficient editor. oxoxox
Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 01:20 am
@Diane,
Hey, Diane. How you doin', kid?

I'm not all that good at resting. I have a plan to do some tidying up. And to at least find somebody to help me resolve once and for all my tax problems. But I won't have to set an alarm clock or meet a deadline.

Look what the editor I freelance for had to say to me. As a freelancer, I never hear anything good. This felt good.

"We value your work and are always rooting for you when we hear you are not feeling well."

If I was feeling very kvetchy, I'd say, "Hey, stop being so nice and send me my steenkin' money."

But I'm resting.