What change would YOU like to see?

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 01:50 pm
im sick and tired of people saying we need a change to something. WHAT change?
what do you want for it to be?
("It" is not specific. it could be anything)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 5,482 • Replies: 48
No top replies

JD The Confused

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:50 am
@hamilton,
Money and no other thing people have become dependant on money and the goverment runs on money....hell most people believe that money makes the world go round. im not one completly eliminate money as a whole you want something you trade for it or you work for it...people would be better all based on doing the right thing...money is the motivation greed is the downfall....there is a show called horders...realize that the true horders horde money...why? cause they cant see that having money is worthless spending money....now spending can be priceless this world waas molded around money and greed...damn wont we leave are kids anything to look up to...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 09:28 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

im sick and tired of people saying we need a change to something. WHAT change?
what do you want for it to be?
("It" is not specific. it could be anything)
What does it matter??? If people cannot change themselves by first changing their minds then social change is impossible for them...

Here is the thing, Ham:... We cannot really change ourselves... Our basic needs remain the same; but if they are not being met by our social forms, then those things we can change, and feeling the need to change something means people are recognizing that a change of social forms is necessary... Without formal consciousness it is unlikely that anyone will realize what they are doing well enough to do it effectively, so it is left to the angry mob to effect the ultimate change and that could go any way... Remember, that when the French, Russian, and American Revolutions took place, that intelligent people were talking about specific sorts of change for a long time in a secret or social setting... The changes did not simply happen... People considered the changes they wanted to achieve and worked in that direction as soon as the social climate became ripe and ready... Its getting there... Will you be ready to direct change, or will you try to surf change and avoid the whirlpool???
hamilton

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 09:32 am
@Fido,
its not a question of whether or not. its a question of WHAT.
Fido

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 09:50 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

its not a question of whether or not. its a question of WHAT.
That is just the thing, Ham... When ever there are grest social changes there are many people pushing for and against, into the future, and into the past... The sad fact is, that great changes can only be encouraged by promising people to recapture the past... That was true of the French, Russian, American, and English Revolutions and the great accomplishment of the Nazi revolution... The anti democratic spirit of the German People was realized to the greatest extent imaginable... The desire for a leader who was the spirit of the people in a single individual was made real... Good for them... Most people find that in spite of their fear of the future, that the past cannot be had at any price, and so with the old icons broken, they must move forward.... What must happen is that people must determine what exactly it was they must salvage from the past and carry forward into the future... They will never do that until pressed to the wall, and they are not there yet...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 03:21 pm
I would like to be abe to live by the dictum, amor fati (love your destiny). I would like to accept the world exactly as it is, problems and all. But I can't resist wishing that everyone who posts ideas on Able2Know would proof read their posts before pressing the "Reply" botton.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 03:21 pm
I would like to be abe to live by the dictum, amor fati (love your destiny). I would like to accept the world exactly as it is, problems and all. But I can't resist wishing that everyone who posts ideas on Able2Know would proof read their posts before pressing the "Reply" botton.
hamilton

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:19 pm
@JLNobody,
same...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:26 am
@JLNobody,
Tell me about it... If I replied as much as I have time to reply you would not see fido but once a month...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:48 am
@JLNobody,
I would be happy if you just learned to push the "Reply" button once .
hamilton

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:55 am
@Ionus,
its twice the quality!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 02:37 am
Quote:
What change would YOU like to see?
Elle McPherson changing her knickers...though I would also be happy with Lucy Lui .
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:00 am
@hamilton,
People should take complete responsibility for their life and who they are. And they should understand the difference between contributing circumstances, responsibility, and blame (the concept of 'blame' is almost useless).
JD The Confused

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 07:21 pm
@vikorr,
Blame has a point when the one your blaming is still commiting the crime...and sorry bout the grammer typing on a phone sucks...laptop fried...But yes if people took responsibility for their actions the dead will walk the earth...anybody else thinkin maybe its not such a bad idea.
vikorr

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:17 am
@JD The Confused,
As I said it's 'almost' totally useless. Very few people continue committing a 'crime' when caught in the act, unless they think they aren't doing anything wrong. And even then it's debatable if the concept of blame is necessary in the face of personal responsibility and contributing circumstances.

I know what it's like typing on a phone Wink
JD The Confused

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:05 am
@vikorr,
Useless though it may be blaming people is just like money, so built into the lifestyle of people that they couldnt stop unless society itself crumbles....hell, if society would open thier eyes not just in the usa but all over the world, wouldnt that be better than all for a penny? Imagine if you will......a goverment that not only consisted of every country known to man but you didnt get paid for your job you got the items needed to survive ie: food, water, housing, ect. think about it eliminate money and everyone is equal....the rich dont get richer the poor dont exist and the future could be worked on with an all for the future of mankind not just ones self...yeah phones suck for this =)
vikorr

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 11:35 pm
@JD The Confused,
Yes, blame is very much taught into our society.

As for trade, I'm fairly sure that in any form it existed, there would still be the rich and the poor. Even back in agricultural societies prior to money, there were the 'rich' and the poor, but money helped elevate the difference by making trade much more portable.

The poor themselves would still exist, because there is always someone who is too dumb, too lazy, or has too bad an attitude to make headway and create - and those that think they can just take what they 'need' will also always exist. Creation of wealth (which is just assets) through hard work/skill/talent, or through trade, would still exist.
JD The Confused

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 12:06 am
@vikorr,
leaves little hope for the future as mankind knows it....no wonder people fell into religion...gives them a little hope i guess. how long would it take to reform the world...1 zombie apocalypse....kinda makes ya hope
vikorr

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 01:34 am
@JD The Confused,
Are you familiar with the Bell Curve?

I don't see it as little hope - I see it as a great hope. We are all capable of reshaping much of who we are. We are all capable of growing. We are all capable of learning. We are all capable of excellence. In normal circumstances, we are all capable of being millionaires. (Well alright, some are intellectually impaired and actually incapable, but this refers to the vast majority - 'normal' functioning people).

This is part of understanding that we are all responsible for who we are, and where we are. Whether we were born rich or poor, we can rise, or fall, depending on us, and who we are, is ours to shape.

People fall into religion for many reasons, but one is they feel they are incapable of changing themselves for the better - which is completely wrong...but changing yourself is difficult, and religion offers an 'easy' solution.
Fido

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 07:12 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Yes, blame is very much taught into our society.

As for trade, I'm fairly sure that in any form it existed, there would still be the rich and the poor. Even back in agricultural societies prior to money, there were the 'rich' and the poor, but money helped elevate the difference by making trade much more portable.

The poor themselves would still exist, because there is always someone who is too dumb, too lazy, or has too bad an attitude to make headway and create - and those that think they can just take what they 'need' will also always exist. Creation of wealth (which is just assets) through hard work/skill/talent, or through trade, would still exist.
Blame is the most stupid idea ever... We have it with individuals and individual responsibility... Columbine happens, and the press and everyone wants to find who is to blame... It is a little late folks, and the main people to blame, the ones most capable of preventing the crime died in it... But to point the finger at them is to deny our own responsibility, which is what we really want so we will have to do nothing about injustice... Yet; it does not work... Casting blame does not prevent future outrages... It just makes us feel a little bit better, and sheds responsibility from ourselves to others...
0 Replies