every action is selfish...

George

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:36 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Really ?
...I love the bad name then...hope it keeps going on to prevent the
shallowness of pragmatic thinkers like you of taking over completely...
"God" forbid the day Philosophy becomes what you believe it should
be...your place is in Politics not in Philosophy...

Fear not, Fil. There's no danger of my taking over anything even partially.
By the "bad name" I mean sophistry. As for shallow thinking, I'm hurt that
you consider me a shallow thinker. I worked and thought rather hard to
earn my degree in Scholastic Philosophy and I believe that the mental
discipline I learned in that pursuit has stayed with me.

As to philosophy, you speak of what I believe it should be. What is that?
Please tell me what I believe philosophy should be. I'd like to know.
wayne

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:38 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I think some of the confusion arises when we judge an action, an action just is, by itself neither selfish nor unselfish.
Motive speaks to the person.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:40 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I guess we are starting an infinite regression here... Wink
wayne

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:46 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I'm not so sure it's infinite.
For instance, the post title is a false statement, actions are not selfish.
We just need to get to the real question, where's kennethamy when you need him.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:46 am
@George,
I appreciate your Personal effort with your study´s in Philosophy if they meant a Personnel search for Knowledge as knowledge can only come from a personnel sincere motivation to where I stand...the difference between information and knowledge is precisely in there...
(someone around probably will and I can see why regard this one even more "opaque" then the one before)

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:47 am
@wayne,
Kent is a man of contrast...great quality´s and unfortunately some faults as we all have...
(patience with younger generations was not is strong point)
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:54 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
it is n´t a false binary when one is meant to preventing you from doing the other.

If that were the case, then yes, it would not be a false binary. But I can't think of a single instance where exercising charity deprived someone of the opportunity of teaching people how to better their situations. Can you?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:02 am
@Shapeless,
Can ´t you see why, or won´t you ?...
You know how many people "empower" themselves through charity ?...
...just look at reality around you...how many people died of hunger in the past hour we have been talking about...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:12 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
"Charity" is the evolutionary Australopithecus of Ethics and Moral...a dinosaur.
wayne

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:17 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That seems a bit harsh.
After all, when you teach someone to farm what will they eat while waiting for harvest, if not for charity?

Perhaps charity, like all things, has it's place.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:21 am
@wayne,
I never opposed that other kind of conscientious charity, the true kind actually...I merely pointed out that mostly that kind is not the common kind we see around us everyday...a fair honest judgement...
(...maybe if you leaved in my country you would understand why we are still in development...)

In my world, I often associate Charity with sheer provincial mediocrity...Latin's love charity...
wayne

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:30 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I actually did consider where you lived when I read you're post, it would indeed be difficult for me to understand.

Is charity a hindrance to investment?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:36 am
@wayne,
Yes...a convenient dinosaur for most...its a bit like buying a cheap fast self indulging moral well being in a "moral MacDonald´s" at hand...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:39 am
@failures art,
We see an example of this in wars; many sacrifice themselves for someone else.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:41 am
@Shapeless,
From the sense that one is a giver and the other a taker, we must still wonder if the giver is also doing it for selfish reasons. Are the rewards bigger than the sacrifice? That's a very subjective value.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
...most "heroes" are just children...and that´s the ironic really sad truth about them...wonderful innocent children...I praise them nevertheless...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
As I believe that nothing in this universe escapes market rules they must be from the giver´s perspective anyway..."subjective" only comes to play a part when considered from a social point of view...to the subject in question our subjective regard considering is actions it is very functionally objective...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:42 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Not really; selfish is in the eye of the beholder. It's all very subjective. Not everybody's value are equal.
wayne

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:46 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Yes...a convenient dinosaur for most...its a bit like buying a cheap fast self indulging moral well being in a "moral MacDonald´s" at hand...

There's gotta be more to it than that, somewhere there's money and power involved. The charitable are naively supporting someone's power structure.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
Although we as you pointed out can wrongly and subjectively judge someone as selfish or not without a good criteria the question stands...the selfish motive often escapes even the one who supposedly act in an altruistic manner...to where I stand this is not a matter of our ability to measure it in each particular case...better to stick with statistics on human behaviour to go about it...

"unselfish" acts often are about context on what we expect from Society if we were in the same shoes...very often charitable people in one day kill someone in the next for no good reason, or a simple outburst in a bad day´s work...
0 Replies