Sooo, why do you love your country? Or don't you?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 07:28 pm
@aidan,
Can you blame him?

By any standard, he is a God Awfully ugly man and she is generally accepted as a very attractive, if not beautiful woman.
margo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:03 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
The other day I was making a cup of tea and someone said, 'Oh wait - you didn't allow the kettle to boil long enough and then let it sit long enough and you put the milk in the cup before you poured in the water, and, and, and....' in other words getting all crazy upset that I was about to drink something that though I might like it, and it was my cup of tea - wasn't a PROPERLY made cup of tea.

Holy mackerel, Aidan - you're a heathen, godforsaken almost - I can certainly understand the English chipping in - I would probably have had to smack you.

That's certainly no way to make a cup of tea! Shocked Twisted Evil

Apropos patriotism - we have seen good examples of the "Australia - love it or leave it" mob here - they're seriously awful people en masse!

I enjoy living here - and call it home - but - there are parts I don't like. On the whole, however, we have a pretty good life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I distrust the routine use of the word patriotism, as to me it is routinely bellicose combined with various malodorous forays. My own view is very left, but I can roll my eyes across the spectrum. I'll say I'm attached for many good reasons to my country, see other posts.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 11:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
By any standard, he is a God Awfully ugly man and she is generally accepted as a very attractive, if not beautiful woman.

Yeah, I must be weird then because I was just thinking watching that video that from some angles his face can be what I'd consider 'beautiful'. Michael Stipe is the same - sometimes he looks flat out ugly and other times he looks angelic and beautiful (to me anyway).

Yeah - but I think Julia Roberts was cashing in on the whole, 'Look at me - I'm marrying this quirky, talented, but ugly guy - that makes me more interesting and not just a pretty face.'

I don't know - I felt sorry for him in the whole thing- but then I would see it that way, wouldn't I- being a woman?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 05:17 pm
@aidan,
You are weird if you find his face beautiful in any sense. By the standard of symmetry alone, he is major league ugly.

This in no way invalidates your take on Julia Roberts (with which I agree).

Feeling sorry for him is also a valid reaction, but only if one appreciates that he is terribly ugly.

I couldn't care less what he looks like, but I hope he wasn't madly in love with someone who was playing with his affections. Instead I'm hoping he was wise to her all along and was OK with what was being traded.

But maybe that's because I'm a man.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 11:25 am
Why I love america - everytime I hear this song, I feel like I'm back there on a soft, balmy, summer night - and it feels so wonderful

The music, so you can hear it:

and the lyrics so you can read about it:
"Girls In Their Summer Clothes"

Well the street lights shine
Down on Blessing Avenue
Lovers they walk by
Holdin' hands two by two

A breeze crosses the porch
Bicycle spokes spin 'round
Jacket's on, I'm out the door
Tonight I'm gonna burn this town down

And the girls in their summer clothes