What are your national delusions?

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:08 am
The other day I saw someone claiming that their special forces (in that particular case the UK's SAS) are the world's best. It made me chuckle because I don't know any country with a modern military whose citizenry doesn't largely think that their special forces (ominously branded acronym and all) are the world's finest fighting forces. Yet mathematics dictates that the overwhelming majority of these are suffering from nationalistic delusion.

What are some of the irrational things that nationalism makes in the country you live in?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 14,212 • Replies: 181

Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
The USA has the finest heath care available in the world.

but you have to redefine available.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think America has the best unsweetened iced tea and England has the best lemon drizzle cake.
I say this without having tasted iced tea or lemon drizzle cake in every country - so it is without actual proof I say this and I very well could be deluding myself.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:18 am
My father once told me that Germans were the best at everything -- except politics.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:24 am
@Robert Gentel,
First digression: From what I understand (with a limited knowledge of the subject), the UK SAS is in fact one the top military groups on the planet if not the best.

~
My own delusion? That's hard to say. Probably on the lines that America (Hollywood as well as outside the studio system) makes the best movies overall in the world.
~
I use the term America and Americans in describing citizens of the US. That in itself is a labeling delusion considering there are other countries in North and South America that could use that moniker but seemingly choose not to.
~
I'm not sure it's a delusion (perhaps this hesitation actually indicates as such):
But I believe that Truman was correct to drop the first nuclear bomb on Hiroshima in WWII (but not the second nuclear bomb).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:26 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I think America has the best unsweetened iced tea

America has the best ice tea[PERIOD] Very Happy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
My number one national delusion is RELIGION? The news I watch from around the world convinces me that this planet would be much better off without religions.

BBB
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:23 am
@Robert Gentel,
The national delusion of both US and UK governments is that the Afghan War is either "winnable" or will have any lasting effects.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

What are some of the irrational things that nationalism makes in the country you live in?

it makes people think that america is the best country in the world to live in....
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:35 am
@Robert Gentel,
i don't think any Canadian thinks our elite fighting force is the best, most folks i know say the SAS

Americans seem to think that Canadians are nice, i know plenty of Canadians who are assholes, so its possible that we aren't so nice but Americans are just more assholey
margo

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:56 am
Good topic, Robert.

Australians think they give everyone a fair go - and then I look at how our governments, past and present, have treated asylum seekers.???
ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:56 am
@djjd62,
butter tarts

Canada has the best butter tarts.

Can't really think of anything else that Canadian share a belief in. The West hates the East, the East hates the middle, Quebec doesn't see too interested in the rest of the country, Ontario's afraid of everyone, not sure what Nunavutians believe in.

oh yeah, the Canajuns I know tend to reference the SAS as the best organization of its type. I've been given at least one book of SAS survival tips over the years.
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:03 pm
@ehBeth,
does anyone else make butter tarts?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:07 pm
@djjd62,
butter tarts have genders?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:08 pm
@djjd62,
What are male butter tarts? And...are there female ones?

GMTA...Ehbeth
margo

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:10 pm
What are butter tarts, of either gender, anyway?
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:15 pm
@Ragman,
the male ones have nuts Razz
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:18 pm
@margo,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_tart

http://iwant.on.ca/Recipes/P1010198-tarts2.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:36 pm
@djjd62,
Unless they are a gold (man) colored which have no nuts.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:42 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

it makes people think that america is the best country in the world to live in....

It is the best country to live in because it is the best country in the world to live in.

Sincerely,
Tsarstepan