what feature makes mankind the dominant species?

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 11:40 am
what differentiates us from animals, besides that tiny percentage of dna?
our thumbs don't make us better than the monkeys, our speed not better than cheetahs. so what feature makes us so much better, or at least better enough to become dominant?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,573 • Replies: 20

Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 11:46 am
@hamilton,
Our ability to convey and understand complex ideas. Our brains are superior.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 11:50 am
who claims were better?
hamilton

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 11:52 am
@djjd62,
well, are you put in a collar by your dog, or are you the one holding the leash
djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 11:57 am
@hamilton,
i don't own a dog, and even when i did, he was only leashed for his own protection (we lived near a busy road, and the property was too large to fence)

as for collars and leashes, enslaving something doesn't make me better, in fact i'd say it makes me worse
hamilton

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 12:06 pm
@djjd62,
it was a reference to our domination of other species.
brummiejim

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 12:52 pm
@hamilton,
we must be the dominat species because we can mess this planet up like no others can i dont see any animals getting the blame for pollution and the ozone?
thack45

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 01:05 pm
@hamilton,
Boolean logic. 1 or 0, open or closed, true or false. Or maybe it's that we don't want to smell another's ass.
thack45

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 01:21 pm
@brummiejim,
No one is messing up the planet. We may be messing up the inhabitability for ourselves, but somehow "Save the Humans" isn't a particularly mobilizing slogan.

Oh, and google cow flatulence.
Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 01:59 pm
@djjd62,
I don't enslave the little dogs . . . i pay them not to run away . . . twice a day . . . in food . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 02:45 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Or maybe it's that we don't want to smell another's ass.

Speak for yourself.
thack45

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 03:33 pm
@chai2,
Well there goes that theory. Actually this thread made me think about the horrible mission of using the restrooms at work. One time recently as I faltered at the inevitable whiff I joked to myself, "This must be what separates us from the animals". ... It's not imperative that my inner dialogue be particularly hilarious.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 04:01 pm
@hamilton,
UNBELIEVABLE> Here you are tippy typing on a keyboard of symbols that represent sounds and compose lumps of them that convey thoughts , all on a magic board of thoughts that are conveyed by the mysterious ether. AND you want to know where we aced out in being the dominant species?

I dont know, let me look it up on Wikipedia, or Google Scholar.

HOMO HABILIS RAP

Homo habilis
he 's the solid first
he made his tools
in about a burst
of time hes done it not for fun
Hes yo great great great great granpappy son
He da man
he overcame
he dident just adapt
he'wa s too good for that
Sing his praises son Then we done
and thats all i gotta tap
bout dat.

hamilton

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 05:26 pm
@farmerman,
have you seen this topic?
you should participate in it.
http://able2know.org/topic/33349-1
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:31 am
@hamilton,
My point was that our species ,by virtue of standing upright, eating meat, growing a decent sized brain, has overcome the mere force of adaptation to a niche. We transcend all niches and that was the beginning of our dominance. We were originally prey species until we learned hunting strategies, weapons development, and control of other tools like fire. Then, look out cave bear, were comin for you and ere comin to make your species extinct.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:38 am
Clothes . . . clothes make us dominant . . .

Because of clothes, we were able to invent shame
Because of shame, we were able to invent sexual sublimation
Because of sexual sublimation, we were able to invent obsessive-compulsive disorder
Because of OCD WE ARE NOW ABLE TO BLAST THIS PLANET INTO A MIASMA OF ITS CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS ! ! !

Q

E

D
Ceili

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 09:02 am
@Setanta,
If you're going to go that far, blame the apple.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 03:26 am
@hamilton,
Quote:
what feature makes mankind the dominant species?

Firearms. Why?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 03:34 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

what differentiates us from animals, besides that tiny percentage of dna?
our thumbs don't make us better than the monkeys, our speed not better than cheetahs. so what feature makes us so much better, or at least better enough to become dominant?

Actually I would say we are not any better than any other species. Because each species survives in it's own niche. If humans enter into a niche that they are horrible with, they won't survive very long or if they do then they got lucky. So why would that make humans more superior? If we could survive as well as any other species in their own niches then yes we would be superior to any other species.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 03:39 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
If you're going to go that far, blame the apple.

Oh sure, don't blame the girl . . .
0 Replies